GP2X My Travelling Gp2x Rig ..

torpor

hack hack hack, the little machines fight back
Website
w1xer.at
Well, a few people have asked, so here's a picture of my "Travelling GP2X rig", which consists of a GP2X hooked up to a JOBO battery-powered datatank external hard disk:

gp2xdatatankcable3mj.jpg

This is an action shot of my GP2X copying a movie (UFO Series) from the datatank to its internal SD card ..

The Kinder-Egg cable, which I made in a few minutes, contains the needed details to handle the USB-Host port (silver cable) as well as Serial I/O (in case I need it on the road, heh heh..) and now gives my GP2X 60 gigs of hard disk space, as well as whatever I can cram into the JOBO's on-board card-readers .. so, 60gigs + CF slot + SD slot + MS slot +SM slot .. lets just call it 80 gigs worth of disk space for my travelling needs.

The cool part about this is thats all I need on my vacation: GP2X, Camera (Lumix FZ5), Datatank. We can watch movies, tons of them, play all the games I want, boot an alternative Linux config (I have a couple for the GP2X now), plug in a USB Hub, swap SD cards from the camera to storage to GP2X, etc. Great fun!

The only thing missing is my pimp-knob, which I'm going to go pick up from the workshop (where its being used to duplicate a few hundred more) tonight .. then I'm set! Woot for me!! :)

Anyway, here's hoping that GPH - or somebody - start manufacturing these cables so everyone else can do this just as easily .. albeit, minus the 'leet kinder egg, of course, heh heh ..

I'm sorry maybe I missed it, but....

WHAT IS A "PIMP-KNOB"???

DSR

The pimpknob is my super duper cap replacement, made out of high-quality jewellers silver. It is, quite simply, the best knob you can possibly get for your GP2X. After 3 months of careful testing and tweaking we have come to the conclusion that the PimpKnob simply smokes the factory knobs, smokes the "GP2X" knob, leaves' the DaveC plasticap in the dirt .. it is, simply, Tha' Bling:

p10507324jm.jpg

and:

p10508549kz.jpg

(props to vimacs' monkey..)

I'm currently getting the prototype - which has been through 3 months of careful design revision and testing (8 proto's in total) - duplicated in a limited-run for those GP2X'ers who want, simply, the best cap you can get for your GP2X .. if you're interested, send me a PM and I'll put you on the list for an update when we get the first production run finished (they're hand made). Cost will probably be around Eu25,00, give or take a few bucks for shipping.. maybe its a lot for a cap, but remember: its silver. It is pimp. It is pure bling. And it rocks your games like no other knob ..

lol! a pimped gp2x

well, what's next? the windows (screen) are already 'blacked out' (at least when you power-down). hmm.... maybe a 15" sub :D

The pimp knob is awesome! :D

Edit: 1 little question, do you need to install extra software/firmware to use this cable, or can you just use the 2.0 firmware?

thanks! i think so too!

Edit: 1 little question, do you need to install extra software/firmware to use this cable, or can you just use the 2.0 firmware?

as long as you're running firmware 2.0, no problems whatsoever .. it just works. everything needed to support USB devices (Host mode) is in firmware 2.0, thanks to the folks GPH hired to get the fw2.0 release done ..

Last edited by a moderator:

thanks! i think so too!

as long as you're running firmware 2.0, no problems whatsoever .. it just works. everything needed to support USB devices (Host mode) is in firmware 2.0, thanks to the folks GPH hired to get the fw2.0 release done ..
cool :D, too bad my ipod nano hasn't got powered usb :(

ain't it possible to connect the extern harddisk to the gp2x with the usb bus on the right side of the gp2x

ain't it possible to connect the extern harddisk to the gp2x with the usb bus on the right side of the gp2x

No. That is a USB2-Device port, only. You need to have a USB Host port to be able to attach devices - the GP2X has 1.1 USB Host on the EXT connector .. and thus, the cable ..

I need to get a cap replacement still, and I am seriously considering this one. *pondering* Getting one to Canada is definitely a factor, as Silver might be a bit more pricey to import. (Thanks government)

Well .. send me a PM (so I can stay organized on that end) and I'll let you know when I work out the details for how to get a cap to you .. shouldn't be that hard, we're going to just register it as 'jewelry', and declare its price and all that, so I don't think its going to be too hard to get to you, eh ..

Isn't that "pimp-knob" slippery?

Not at all. It gets warm pretty quickly, as its a solid blob of silver, and this 'congeals' it to the skin on your thumb pretty well .. my girl is in the backyard playing Bomberman with it, now, for 2 hours, and she says the pimpknob rocks .. given that she's sunbathing and is likely to be quite slippery by default, I'd say the pimpknob is all control, and zero slip. ;)

.. my girl is in the backyard playing Bomberman with it, now, for 2 hours, and she says the pimpknob rocks .. given that she's sunbathing and is likely to be quite slippery by default, I'd say the pimpknob is all control, and zero slip. ;)

How does she manage to see the screen in full sunlight?

Does she wear this?

How does she manage to see the screen in full sunlight?

In the Outside World, there are things called "Trees" and these get in the way of "The Sun" such that you can put your head + GP2X under them while still maintaining your "Body" in "The Sunshine" for "a Tan" ..

Bit hot though, so she's moved inside to bother me with the Bomberman soundtrack for a while ..

Back