It's just about time for a spec bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackerjacker

Still Fresh
The old pandora fantasy is getting a little long in the tooth, and I think we need to upgrade our dream machine a little it.

Maybe something like a Ion+Atom combo with 2 gigs of ram. That should make a excellent gaming package and put Pandora back in the running for fastest gaming hand held. I think we could also cram a webcam in there and keep this rouse going for another year or so.

What do you think?

I think your idea for a spec upgrade is a little to high try to go with something like this
900mhz ARM CPU
512mb of ram
600mhz DSP
Dedicated 3D/2D graphics accelerator

Name a faster gaming handheld? The OMAP3 is finally getting into some high end hardware, like the Pre and the new Archos tablets, which is a good thing for the Pandora. More potential developers, and the system still has a lot to bring. People have made tremendous efforts porting to ARM for the Pandora and other devices, like Ari64's N64 emulator, NullDCe (Dreamcast emulator) and the WIP PSP emulator by JayRayFox.

x86 handheld devices do exist. The battery life is half that of the Pandora, they perform horribly, and cost $2000+. On top of this, I don't think you are serious at all. Post another and you are gone.

Giulmon999, the first batch (at least, this is before the chips were bin sorted) should get to almost 900mhz, maybe 700+ for under performing chips. The DSP can theoretically be clocked up in scale, to 520mhz. It already has the SGX for acceleration, and 256mb of RAM is more than ehough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back