Smash Brothers "styled" Game (not A Clone)

Sorry guys i didnt have much time to do anything much tonight but here is the background picture for the character stats/select screen.

ssb.jpg

I dont know if you will like it or not.

Also if this became a smash bros game i would say call it classic smash bros and use snes sprites and snes background to make a level.

That way all the graphics and animations are all there ;) and how easy would it be to make a level from the super mario worl background ;)

Here is what it kinda gonna look like

ssb1.jpg

Altho i really think it doesnt work so scrap that.

i dont have much time so i quickly made these
:ph34r:

Originally, I was not going to tell anyone which project I am currently working on in my spare time until near completion because I don't know how long it will take and I don't know if I will come across anything that would make it impossible. However, it sounds like everyone is very enthusiastic about smash brothers, so I feel it is only fair to let you know exactly where I stand on being able to help you.

I am currently trying to reverse engineer the fighting game engine known as MUGEN. I don't have the source code, so everything has to be done from scratch. Add to this, the sprite format for MUGEN is a bank of .pcx files that average over 3MB in size and you can see that I have quite a task. The sprite problem is as follows, if each character takes up 3.5Mb of the GP32s 8MB, then I have just 1 MB to store:

1.) The game code.
2.) Player 1 + Player 2s SFX.
3.) Background images.
4.) Background music.

This just isn't possible, so for the past month I have been working on another compression method for the sprites. Each individual sprite can have a maximum of 31 colours (including the background/transparent colour) and you get a sprite bank 80% the size of the MUGEN one. If a sprite uses 16 or less colours then it can be around 50% - 60% the size of the original. Most MUGEN sprites are about 16 colours each so I managed to get a good decrease in size (Cyclops goes from 4.5MB to 2.25MB, but evil ken only goes from 3.91MB to 2.31MB).

My point is that so far, this is all I have done. I don't have much spare time so I can only work slowly. I still have to read and convert the following MUGEN files before I can even start on the fighting game itself, although I suppose the fighting game will progress with the files as well. The estimated time length is in brackets.

SFF - Sprite file (pretty much done :D , took 4 weeks)
AIR - Sprite animation + colision boxes file (2 - 3 weeks)
CNS - Player stats + scripting language + Cpu moves + intelligence (Long time to do this)
DEF - Palette definitions + listing of character files (1 - 2 weeks)
ACT - Alternate colour palettes (1 - 2 weeks)
SND - Sound file (No Idea)

Sorry I can't help with Smash bros sooner, but I suppose it will give plenty of time for a full word document to be written up detailing the game precisely with nice mock graphics and stuff. Alternatively, you could get someone else to help I suppose. Sorry I can't help more, but I really need more spare time. :(

s'ok charge, And good luck on GP-Mugen. Hope ya get it working :D

also nin, VERY nice background. :D Red's a little bold I think, I think blue (same dark-ish shade but a little lighter) and scrolling about mid-speed (just repeating the pattern) would give it a bit of spark. (Sorry, I feel like an enormous tool whenever I give criticism and it makes me sound un-appreciative, I apologize in advance :( .) the character logo is perfect, Some green or teal letters in a more bold-ish font Would match it perfectly.

I like the idea of classic smash bros too, Perhaps that could be the first incarnation of it while FightPark is on the back burner? (Graphics being made, different pieces each being drawn at different angles...) It'd be slightly easier since once you have a piece drawn at the necessary angles (hit, knocked into the air, punching, etc.) to make it face the other direction you just mirror it.

And to zam, pre-made characters should be mostly for the AI and single player I believe... Otherwise we have people not bothering to make a character and fighting with the same guy and combos over and over. HOWEVER, there could be 5-6 pre-made "example" (loosely used, since they would be actual characters with a matching look to their theme and a small bio) characters that are usable (With a matching moveset) and there would be 3 more "custom" character slots you could make your own character with (with bio)

http://www.clickteam.com/CTforum/showthreaded.php3?Cat=&Board=fac&Number=103854&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=smash%20bro&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=103854 has a tutorial on making a Smash Bros. engine. The problem is that it works for that site programming suite and I can't get the free trial to work on my computer. Maybe someone else can?

I've got a better idea. Instead of using Super Mario World (Mario lacks a good set of kicks and punches) use Kirby's Super Star. Kirby has a massive arsenal of attacks to choose from in that game including very specifically "Fighter", "Suplex", and "Ninja" powers. He also has a crouch and guard for each power.

Hmmm, true....

Kirby sprites could be used as a sort of place holder (or permanent fixture?), He has flying left in pain animations, right animation, Attack, His entire moveset is practically already in kirby's superstar.

True that, But I kinda figured if jump power was added it'd take more effort, And people could abuse the spare stat stars.

Oh my goodness! YES! This is EXACTLY what kind of game I was hoping for! ^_^

Personally, I'm a dragon fanatic, so any character that I set up in this game would probably reflect that. :D

I think I can contribute to this project. Can I help with the "break the targets" levels? ;) I can probably do some voice talent too. Announcer, or fighting voices, I don't care. As long as you don't mind having a teenager's voice (16 yrs.) ;). I can also maybe design some preset characters (still customizable, but already-defined ones) to come with the game too.

I probably can't do much coding, as I don't have much experience with any serious programming languages (I'm at the Visual Basic level at the moment. I hope to learn C or C++ very soon). To get an idea of my programming skill, I wrote a simple raycaster engine in VB, but the only thing it did was throw you into a 3d place built from a 2d BMP map. :p

I can MAYBE do some ingame music too, and I know someone who can help with the music as well. Currently I use Modplug Tracker (have been since about 1998), and so does my friend, so I hope that isn't a problem. :S

If I can help out, PLEASE contact me! :D Don't try my AIM or ICQ, as I'm almost never on, UNLESS someone tells me to get on. :p You can send me an e-mail, but make the subject something that I'll know it's not spam, you know. ;) Or you can just send me a PM on this board. But seriously, I am interested in contributing to this. :)

Although I can make OK graphics, there are probably a lot of users that are better than me at graphics.

But if you need help with music, voices, level design (wink wink break the targets wink cough. ;) ), or stuff like that, I'm available. :)

http://www.clickteam.com/CTforum/showthreaded.php3?Cat=&Board=fac&Number=103854&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=smash%20bro&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=103854 has a tutorial on making a Smash Bros. engine. The problem is that it works for that site programming suite and I can't get the free trial to work on my computer. Maybe someone else can?

Hey Zamuel,
I have 2 off these programming suites (the games factory and klick'n'play)
The engine works but really isn't that great and woldn't help any one outside of these suites... ;) oh well. It would be cool though if someon made something to run *.gam files on gp32. This is the file that the suites make and then more people would be able to make games for gp32! :D I highly doublt this would happen though... no source code :blink:

A little off topic, but is it possible to compile C++ programs onto the GP32?

Back on topic, is this proposal still on? It's a little inactive...

Project thread is still here, i'm surprised people are still posting on it....

I was kinda hopeing to attract some devs with the idea though.

Drag posted on Mar 18 2004 at 11:40 PM said:
A little off topic, but is it possible to compile C++ programs onto the GP32?
There's a command line util for transfering files which has an option of uploading a gxb directly into the unit's memory and executing it. So you 'd compile the program onto a pc, but you could write a batch file to, on finishing compiling, rather than converting to an fxe, upload and run :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back