Small paid job

This has all been said before, but it warrants repeating. And repeating.

I want a future where a dev can upload their file ONCE, and it becomes available through the File Archive, Pandora Apps and milkshake's repo. That way Craig can still run Pandora Apps how he sees fit, with commercial inclusions in the future or whatever the plans are there. Users get a choice of repos but access to essentially the same database - no fragmentation. No single site would fall behind through lack of maintenance.

This might not be possible to do with the archaic code of the File Archive, but it should be no problem for the two new ones function together like this. The specs for this have in fact already been laid out, with info & links in the previous appstore thread: (see posts #7 & #23 from Foxblock & Tempel)

Craig, by all means hold off for now and wait until milshake proves himself. But when the time comes, please take in the community feedback and consider allowing the stores to work together. Pandora Apps will always be the official repo and you will maintain control of it. But take advantage of what the community is building, and you get free content upkeep and PXML validation. There is good work being done out there. Use it. Use the shit out of it.. It's what we want.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has all been said before, but it warrants repeating. And repeating.

I want a future where a dev can upload their file ONCE, and it becomes available through the File Archive, Pandora Apps and milkshake's repo. That way Craig can still run Pandora Apps how he sees fit, with commercial inclusions in the future or whatever the plans are there. Users get a choice of repos but access to essentially the same database - no fragmentation. No single site would fall behind through lack of maintenance.
I have said this over and over again as well. Due to the lack of interest shown in the idea by OP, I had assumed that it wasn't possible.

Just on this point, have people thought about how to protect the archives from malware?

I know we're not a massive community but I'm sure someone will give it a try and I bet it will be destructive.

There needs to be a level of community screening before apps are available on a "trusted" site/app store.

That way people that just want to use the Pandora and feel "safe" can use a "screened" section of a site or only selected sites.

New apps get test/played/used by skilled Pandora users then when x trusted users tick the trust box it gets promoted to the safe repo.

Just my 2c

At the moment, ED personally screens & approves all uploads to the file archive. Craig's site is protected by virtue of the fact that hardly anyone can upload :p I don't know what milkshake has in store.

While I don't think the potential is there for any widespread harm, I do like the idea of 'verified' apps.

While I don't think the potential is there for any widespread harm, I do like the idea of 'verified' apps.
That's a good point there. Since this job offering of Craig's is to maintain the OFFICIAL "appstore", the reputation of which reflects on the company itself, I guess this would mean that whoever takes the job will also need to test every program to make sure that none are dodgy or nonworking?

/for my own two cents, the links to the discussion threads that the wiki gives provide that info for me. Community "verification", relying on many people from the community who're interested in using the programs rather than one overworked person. But for something to be "done properly", I'm guessing you can't rely on the community to do the testing for you.

The fact is while several people have promised 'amazing appstores' ('just wait for X's website', 'you're wasting your time' - over and over I've heard this) none have appeared in over a year.
Well, that's your side of the story. Here's dflemstr's and here's EvilDragon's. Seems like he was trying for quite a while to catch your interest, then eventually gave up when it became clear that the project that he was asked to create was no longer in your plans:

I had to fight for months to get The Box to be accepted by the team, and for ED to try to host it (even though they had *asked* me to create The Box, they developed their own version, and then forgot about my project).

I simply don't get it.

Weeks ago there was all this wining an complaining that OpenPandora Limited will go bust if OPL wouldn't start selling Premium Pandoras. And now what ? With the income of Premium Pandoras and iControlPads all financial problems have been miraculously solved. Now there's enough money to hire new assembly team members, buy a lot of new stuff for the assembly line, and as it occurs to me there is still a lot of money left so we could start flushing it down the toilet.

Why pay for something that the community has offered to do for free since the first appstore (am I the only one who finds that this name is just a silly Apple ripoff?) occured on the net ? And give me a break with this crappy argument "oh what if they loose interest in updating the appstore". If someone looses interest who cares ? And this is something I highly doubt - if people that are active in this community would loose interest that fast, this project would have been vapourware a long time ago. But even then, there are a lot of people standing in line on taking over - and we're not talking about a job that demands a special training (like in the Pandoras assembly line), a trained ape could do that job - hell even I could do it. And even if there's still some "fiddling in" time needed who cares, if the appstore won't get updated for one or two days ? 95% of the community wouldn't notice that at all, pnds aren't published on a daily basis

But why am I writing this at all ? Craig has already setup his mind, and no one can change it (even he couldn't). So this all comes down to the simple fact (again) craig wants to keep control over everything - which maybe a good decision business wise, but (at least in my case) will push the community further away from him. If there wasn't ED involved I would have abandoned this project long time ago.

Edit:

I have a better idea- give me the job. I have a degree in computer science (no ape here:eek:) ), have a pandora, and I'm currently (please someone should correct me on this) the news writer for the only german unoffical pandora blog thats left. I will gladly do it, and donate that money directly to ED.

Edit:

I have a better idea- give me the job. I have a degree in computer science (no ape here:eek:) ), have a pandora, and I'm currently (please someone should correct me on this) the news writer for the only german unoffical pandora blog thats left. I will gladly do it, and donate that money directly to ED.

Experience trumps a degree every time imho, actually even professional certs don't mean that much. Personally if I was going to hire a dev I would want to see some reference sites.

Edit:

Experience trumps a degree every time imho, actually even professional certs don't mean that much. Personally if I was going to hire a dev I would want to see some reference sites.

True that, I'm about to graduate in CS and I don't know jack.

True that, I'm about to graduate in CS and I don't know jack.
what exactly has this to do with this "two monologues" - thread ?

what exactly has this to do with this "two monologues" - thread ?

As much as the rest of the thread has to do with the OP....
Are we reading the same thread ? In short, so I don't make any mistakes:

- Craig announced that he will hire someone to keep the appstore up to date which in fact holds apps for the openpandora (one of two offical sources)

- People discussing the pro and cons of this -> meaning if it is a good decision or not

- Mahou Saru and you are talking about experience outweighing education with no real relation to the first topic at all

so the questions remains due of the lack of a logical answer

Are we reading the same thread ? In short, so I don't make any mistakes:

- Craig announced that he will hire someone to keep the appstore up to date which in fact holds apps for the openpandora (one of two offical sources)

- People discussing the pro and cons of this -> meaning if it is a good decision or not

- Mahou Saru and you are talking about experience outweighing education with no real relation to the first topic at all

so the questions remains due of the lack of a logical answer

OP asked if people want a job and to PM him.

People started discussing other stuff, related to the OP, but the OP can be boiled down to:

- Job available

- If want PM

I don't know which OP you were reading which asked to discuss the merits of a community maintained site vs a paid for post

My post which YOU are having issues with was in reply to yours, which I think is actually good advice which I hope you take to heart in the future. Don't rely on your degree, if you want a good job especially in a creative area get a portfolio together.

Sorry, but thatgui is right. Craig might not have intended it, but this thread is a discussion on our community app repos. Let's stick to it. :)

Fair point, but shouldn't this thread get split from the OP so it doesn't pollute?

why is this an issue? the official site should only need moderation to keep malicious and non working apps in par. game designers should be able to register for accounts that let them upload. users should be able to rate apps, and a system should be set up so that users can flag malicious or non functioning apps.

I don't think any thread about App stores can be complete without addressing the other sore topic: OE repo. We need one of those too!

In fact, I think the whole Pandora OS build-server issue needs to be included in this discussion. How is that going to be maintained in the future without further clusterfucks like we're experiencing with the Hotfix5 issues?

Sorry, but thatgui is right. Craig might not have intended it, but this thread is a discussion on our community app repos. Let's stick to it. :)

Fair point, but shouldn't this thread get split from the OP so it doesn't pollute?
I dare say Craig is sorted for help now, or will be very soon. I think the thread should be allowed to stay on this course, because Craig asking for help is directly related to (read: a result of) the repo situation we're discussing.

in regards to screening, there could be a group of trusted moderators on my repo check each file b4 allowing it to go live, but i do not know if this might annoy some devs, as they know there application isnt malware, and it most probably been tested before bringing forward to the public anyway... its a fine line really.

I would have to ask the devs what sort of screening system they would prefer.

I think whoever does get the job will have the most easy time of it because all the info is on the pandorawiki they don't even need to look anywhere else :p

I think craig has serious "control" issues, not saying thats bad for some things but for others its just OTT IMO

Back