Smach Z will pose some serious competition to the Pyra

Of course I didn't mean literally "ARM OS". I meant OS running on ARM, which is different than OS running on x86, and can't run the same software.

If we are talking OS, which for me is a synonyme for "certainly not windows", then literally yes not the SAME (because compiled x86 software won't run on arm), but from user experience NO. I'm running the same programms on my inter PC, my thinkpad and my cubox-i (ai64, i386, arm). Yes the same desptop, too!

No, it's just that the crappy Android browser kept glitching when attempting to copy/paste.

If you had a real handheld PC like the Pyra you could have used an actual browser like Firefox or Chromium and been able to type better.

If they didn't even have working prototypes, do you think AMD would be supporting them? And why wait 2 years, doing nothing at all, to just do a fake kickstarter to scam money? Why not just run the kickstarter immediately?

They've said they don't want to show prototypes because it's not the final build, and creating the industrial prototype costs money (hence the kickstarter).

Plus, the they're under NDA from AMD about revealing info on their APU because that APU hasn't released yet (current one in the prototype is a placeholder)

Hah.. if AMD were supporting them, it'd be an AMD product and they wouldn't need a kickstarter. 

You should try and find  The original statement from the AMD guy with his quote about how amazing it's going to be... 

You should also try and find the guys that are trying to "fund" this project on the internet. I cannot see them anywhere in social media.

The videos seem to show the two people lying through their teeth. Look at their faces..

The Pandora (Which is nearly 7 years old) already walks all over this device and is probably the only device of that age which is STILL supported as such. The Pyra will continue to prove this point and will excel in much more than the "Steam only" playing device which probably will never exist.

Final Opinion, this will be another Fields of Fresh. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This project is also against Kickstarter's rules which i've obviously reported. So much for that eh? 

Saying that, the Pyra is almost ready to be kickstarted if it has to be.. I doubt it will even need that if there's 200 pre-pre orders lined up.

KS Rule which this project breaches is below, pay attention to the photos.. None of them are real. It's just Skarp all over again.

1. Projects must be honest and clearly presented.

Our community is built on trust and communication. Projects can’t mislead people or misrepresent facts, and creators should be candid about what they plan to accomplish. When a project involves manufacturing and distributing something complex, like a gadget, we require projects to show a prototype of what they’re making, and we prohibit photorealistic renderings.

I thought that renderings were not allowed anymore but had the feeling that my memory did trick me since nobody seemed to mind in this case.

So why exactly did Kickstarter approve this project? Is there any approval procedure at all or could I just post a campaign for building a spaceship with warp drive which runs and collects money for a while?

Hah.. if AMD were supporting them, it'd be an AMD product and they wouldn't need a kickstarter. 

Final Opinion, this will be another Fields of Fresh. 

Exactly, just look at the AMD´s guy position " Stephen Turnbull, AMD's Director of embedded product marketing ".

Sure shot such a director would ´support´ anyone who is willing to buy their products on quantities.

"Support" is a very subjective world and it sure dosen´t mean sponsor or being responsible for.

I thought that renderings were not allowed anymore but had the feeling that my memory did trick me since nobody seemed to mind in this case.

So why exactly did Kickstarter approve this project? Is there any approval procedure at all or could I just post a campaign for building a spaceship with warp drive which runs and collects money for a while?

They get their cut and are not responsible for scams, you can go ahead with the warp drive kickstarter, I will back it! :D

They have their policies but from what I can tell they don't enforce them unless someone complains: they don't actively try to prevent scams.

If it fails, then handheld gaming PCs will probably not take off.

If they didn't even have working prototypes, do you think AMD would be supporting them? And why wait 2 years, doing nothing at all, to just do a fake kickstarter to scam money? Why not just run the kickstarter immediately?

They've said they don't want to show prototypes because it's not the final build, and creating the industrial prototype costs money (hence the kickstarter).

Plus, the they're under NDA from AMD about revealing info on their APU because that APU hasn't released yet (current one in the prototype is a placeholder)

Not sure why handheld Steam machines have to get it right on the first attempt and it has to be from this company or else..

They did show a "prototype" in the KS video, it's clearly an off-the-shelf board using GX-412HC. I'm certain that they do that quick pan with a difficult angle in the video because they want to make it hard for people to identify the board. Plus they showed they have a mold of the backshell which they've leaned an LCD on top of (the LCD attaches to some breakout board which again is probably off-the-shelf). So they haven't even 3D printed anywhere close to the whole housing (or indeed, the important parts) and there's no indication that they have made custom PCBs for anything. If you want to call that a prototype you can go ahead, but it doesn't amount to much.

Yes I think AMD would support them without a real prototype, where "support" means they say they're excited about it. What do they really have to lose at this point, their nearly non-existent reputation? Not like it'd be the first time they got excited about products that never surfaced. At the same time I don't think AMD would spend significant resources backing them. They'd very much hope something like this takes up because the company has utterly failed to get their low power cat cores into handheld or tablet platforms, and in general has been in a downward spiral.

The "unreleased" APU is just going to be a new SKU in the "Steppe Eagle" line. We know because they've been very clear that it's G-series "Steppe Eagle" Jaguar-based. They're not going to be able to get something fundamentally different. Maybe something somewhat more aggressively binned for its TDP, maybe some features fused off to save more power.

There's this strange idea that a KS is either going to be successful or it must be a scam. I'm sure they have every honest intention of making this work and are putting in a good faith effort at fulfilling this but that doesn't mean that they know what they're doing.

I'm sure they have every honest intention of making this work and are putting in a good faith effort at fulfilling this but that doesn't mean that they know what they're doing.

Exactly, too me it sounds like they are promising things without being sure about what's possible or not. Like they are making a "dash for the cash" and once the cash is on their side all the problems can be solved (hmm, that reminds me of someone :rolleyes: ).

But as we all know, even a ton of cash can just go puff with disappointing results if the project planning/execution is off. Hoping that's not the case with Smach Z for the sake of all the backers.

Did the title of this post change? I thought it was a lot more confrontational before, something like "the Pyra has already been beaten by the SMach Z"

Did the title of this post change? I thought it was a lot more confrontational before, something like "the Pyra has already been beaten by the SMach Z"

Yes, it was "Pyra has already been beat by Smach Z before it comes out lol".

I suppose some trolls asked to take away their trademarks from the page :D

Damn this is one ugly unwieldy device, who would want to carry that around?

"Join the revolution" where have we heard that before? Yup, Ouya!

There was no revolution and there won't be a revolution, a devolution on the other hand...

I can't tell if these guys know what they are doing but it's easy to put together a polished looking video that makes one think you do.

The name is almost as silly as Ouya. It Smachs of stupidity. I presume its an abbreviation of Steam machine.

It won't be winning any beauty pageants in the near future either, not without a face-lift at least.

Still they have already raised more than 150,000 so who knows.

A Pyra is all I require, I sold my vita and passed on the n vidia shield etc.

I hope these guys are successful IF they know what they are doing.

"Join the revolution" where have we heard that before? Yup, Ouya!

There was no revolution and there won't be a revolution, a devolution on the other hand...

I can't tell if these guys know what they are doing but it's easy to put together a polished looking video that makes one think you do.

The name is almost as silly as Ouya. It Smachs of stupidity. I presume its an abbreviation of Steam machine.

It won't be winning any beauty pageants in the near future either, not without a face-lift at least.

Still they have already raised more than 150,000 so who knows.

A Pyra is all I require, I sold my vita and passed on the n vidia shield etc.

I hope these guys are successful IF they know what they are doing.

Why do people keep trying to compare it to Ouya?

Ouya was a glorified screenless Android phone. Heck, you couldn't even install Google Play Apps without hacking the device!

Smach Z is going to be x86-based and running real PC games, and it'll be fully open so you won't need to hack it to get homebrew running.

Ouya was a glorified screenless Android phone

And the SMach Z could turn out to be a glorified handheld that can't even compete with the Shield, unable to even hack it to install Windows based games on.

You're putting an awful lot of faith in something that doesn't even exist yet, is very heavily at risk of never existing at all, and that you aren't even fully aware of the actual limitations of yet.

And that's really the situation at hand: the SMach Z is in a different class from the Pandora and Pyra, they serve different but overlapping purposes.  The SMach and the Shield, however, thanks to the NVidia GameStream, and pretty much any Android gaming handheld that can run Moonlight, are direct competitors serving fundamentally the exact same purpose.

Why do people keep trying to compare it to Ouya?

Ouya was a glorified screenless Android phone. Heck, you couldn't even install Google Play Apps without hacking the device!

Smach Z is going to be x86-based and running real PC games, and it'll be fully open so you won't need to hack it to get homebrew running.

Yes, it's different to Ouya. But the same Tag-line was used in the video. It's hyperbolic.

If it works out than it could be a cool device. I guess first we wait and see if the campaign is successful. Then much later if the Smach materializes we will know that they were capable of pulling it off.

Back