Smach Z will pose some serious competition to the Pyra

Yeah, the situation is.. not good. Although I suppose the KS hasn't been featured on Kotaku yet so that could give them a pledge kick if it happens.

For their sake I hope they do fail. They're promising that people can get refunds mere months after the KS ends (and well before the alleged ship date) if they're unhappy with their progress. You know, after they've already spent a significant amount of money. And they've admitted the cheapest tier is below cost - guess who's least likely to seek refunds? This really has the makings of a disaster.

...I missed this update from them.

Have I made a boo-boo in backing the cheapest/basic model then?

Is that even for the early bird backers? as that's what I caught it on, was €199.

The Z-Pads are an essential add-on for me now too, but bit concerned that those will cost a lot of money as an addition to the basic model, or worse still perhaps wouldn't even be compatible[?]

...I don't know how those even work exactly, taking a guess they'll be a bit like XBOne with their magnet ones, but what if that's only available on the more expensive model...

Emulation aside, even for the Steam games I have I would still like a traditional dpad ideally, of course I've not used this new style one they having but I'm pretty sure I'm still going to prefer a dpad

I like that these discussions are picked-up seriously. Not to motivate people to start more, but it's good to have had these already. Most projects fail because they are doing unrealistic things or are just to optimistic. The people on these boards (ED and such) are quite cautious with making claims and giving out a planning. If anything is presented it is questioned and risk-checked, so ED can manage any doubts and risks.
When the Pyra is released these claims ("out-dated hardware, to expensive, product x and y are better!") are going to return and everyone already knows why they love there Pyra.

The device presented in this topic is more of a dream and I wouldn't mind it being released, but I doubt it will deliver what it promises.
If it was this "easy" Valve or Microsoft would have done this already, better and for less money (if the current presented price was realistic).

I won't be quoting because I'm on mobile.

Keyboard isn't needed for PC gaming, that tiny keyboard is barely usable anyways, trying to hit small keys with fat fingers.

Just because it's an AMD chip, doesn't mean it's super hot and weak. Stereotyping, much?

As for windows: it's literally a handheld steam machine. You can install Linux on a Windows PC, and you can install Windows on a Steam Machine.

Sure, the Pyra runs Linux, but can you play your Steam games on it? Can you install any desktop Linux software on it without modifying it to get it to run on Pyra?

That's the appeal of the Smach Z. You don't need to port anything to it. Anything that runs on desktop SteamOS or Windows can run on it.

Saying that the Smach Z is weak is a no brainer. It's a handheld device, you can't shove a full dekstop graphics card in there.

From its initial specs, I can tell it'll at least be more powerful than the Vita and top end smartphones.

While the Smach Z was in development for some time, they didn't start their kickstarter until just now. Don't you think if this was a scam, they'd have started it when they first announced it as Steamboy 2 years ago?

They said they'll be showing their current prototype soon (check the update on the kickstarter - I'd paste the link but my bullshit phone keeps glitching the copy-paste) and that encapsulating the prototype would be too expensive, hence the kickstarter.

And also, the APU they're going to be using isn't even finished design by AMD, and the one in their current prototype isn't the final version, which is why they were hesitant to show the prototype.

I'd love the Pyra to succeed, but ARM? 720P? 2GB RAM?

Get your priorities right, it needs higher specs and x86 to compete.

Heck, just run a Kickstarter for a high spec model and if you can manage to get enough pre-sales, then you can afford to do higher spec model. If it fails, then no harm done.

Honestly Pal, I love the idea of the Smach Z, the features that it would have, etc... but you showed it in a bad way, with an aggressive title. You look down to ED and his team's work, that just sounds like trolling. Moreover there is so many shady details about Smach Z, it looks more like scam to me than a real project, and even if it would be successful, I bet you It wouldn't perform better than an atom x-5 z8300.

If you really want something able to play some games from Pcsx2 and Dolphin Emulator, buy a Razer Edge Pro like me, because you won't be able to have a smaller computer with more power in that shape, even the last Surface Pro (4) can't perform like it.

Check what Exophase linked in his answer:  http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8959

This is the technical way to check how Smach Z could be.

By the way Pyra is a handheld desktop not a handheld console, you can do so much more than a gaming console that is only made for gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
But they have diagrams that explain everything, no rotator chip needed, it's so easy! ;)  

68d393f991d988579ea2f73ebbf1c8c1_original.png

I notice that the campaign has been renamed from "The first handheld steam machine" to simply "The handheld PC"

I notice that the campaign has been renamed from "The first handheld steam machine" to simply "The handheld PC"

Seems it's not an official Steam Machine:

Steam™ name and logo are property of Valve® Corporation. All trademarks are property of their respective owners. Liability disclaimer: SMACH Z project is not being developed by Valve® Corporation. SMACH Z project doesn't have any connection to Valve® or Steam™. SMACH Z is not a official Steam Machine™.

Guess Valve doesn't want to be associated with them. And also that they were touting that it was a Steam Machine without even asking permission from Valve to make that claim. :rolleyes:

Yep, it is either a pipedream from the ´creators´ or a scam, there simply is no other explanation, this is very clear from the very beginning, specially if you have followed any hardware crowdfunding campaign in your lifetime.

On December 10 update they said:

So please, don't associate SMACH Z with Valve® or Steam™ . This a third party project, while we're an authorized Steam™ Machine hardware developer, Valve® is not directly supporting the project at the moment.

Not anymore. :p

EDIT: Seems they explained it in a comment two days ago:

- "SMACH Z is not a official Steam Machine": To become a official Steam Machine you have to meet Valve requirements and quality tests that can be only pass once the SMACH Z production is complete. So Valve asked us to make clear that SMACH Z is not a official Steam Machine, they can't risk the Steam Machine brand name standing on a project on development that they don't control, it's understandable. So we an authorized Steam Machine hardware developer but we can say that SMACH Z is a official Steam Machine until it will pass Valve validation.

But probably forgot updating the kickstarter description until now.

I sounds very amateurish or scammy. The former is about them not knowing the Steam rules and law and bla bla but they are pushing a Steam machine on their own? Crazy. The later is about using the Steam name to gather backers till Valve tells them not to do so. Now the link states Steam and if they can change it, the articles all around will point to a none existent place.

Really, this kickstarter should be on the absurd thread, otherwise, I really dig the tech conversation/explanation the more pro users here are having, it is really inspiring. :)

edit: by checking the comments on their kickstarter...I´m prettysure this is going to flop and be cancelled half way.

Comments like these make me chuckle

Brian King about 10 hours ago

I really want to see this product be successful and I've backed you, but there are a few things that worry me...
1. Odd branding. I don't know what this device is given it's name. I realize it's hard without being able to rely on the branding of Steam.
2. Not enough specs. Where is the battery capacity, how heavy is it likely to be, what are the rough dimensions.
3. Misleading specs. It's usually a death wish to be promoting up front better specs that only come with stretch goals. Even if it's clarified as a foot note.
4. User experience: How do I use this device? Does it come with Steam OS pre-installed? If I want to put something else on it, are there any drivers available?
5. Where's the press?!: I just happened to stumble upon this through kickstarter itself. Looking to find any articles they're all referenced from mid August. That's practically ancient when it comes to the attention span of users. You gotta get the message out to people and have them talking about this!

So you have lots of pretty big concerns about the thing, yet still throw your money at it? Crazy

OK, then can you install a Linux Steam game on your Pandora/Pyra, and run it on it?

I had some success when playing around with linuxboch's beta WINE/QEMU package and this was on Pandora maybe a year, year and a half ago. There have been videos of running x86 Linux and Win games/application on the Pyra dev boards.

Also, AMD themselves support the Smach Z:

From Smach Z Youtube video (damn phone browser glitching again) :

"We love the project, It's pretty amazing! When we first met the SMACH Team we were immediately on board to support. SMACH Z will bring an exciting new dimension to Steam™ games." 

Stephen Turnbull, AMD's Director of embedded product marketing.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the situation is.. not good. Although I suppose the KS hasn't been featured on Kotaku yet so that could give them a pledge kick if it happens.

For their sake I hope they do fail. They're promising that people can get refunds mere months after the KS ends (and well before the alleged ship date) if they're unhappy with their progress. You know, after they've already spent a significant amount of money. And they've admitted the cheapest tier is below cost - guess who's least likely to seek refunds? This really has the makings of a disaster.

If it fails, then handheld gaming PCs will probably not take off.

This project is also against Kickstarter's rules which i've obviously reported. So much for that eh? 

Saying that, the Pyra is almost ready to be kickstarted if it has to be.. I doubt it will even need that if there's 200 pre-pre orders lined up.

KS Rule which this project breaches is below, pay attention to the photos.. None of them are real. It's just Skarp all over again.

1. Projects must be honest and clearly presented.

Our community is built on trust and communication. Projects can’t mislead people or misrepresent facts, and creators should be candid about what they plan to accomplish. When a project involves manufacturing and distributing something complex, like a gadget, we require projects to show a prototype of what they’re making, and we prohibit photorealistic renderings.

If they didn't even have working prototypes, do you think AMD would be supporting them? And why wait 2 years, doing nothing at all, to just do a fake kickstarter to scam money? Why not just run the kickstarter immediately?

They've said they don't want to show prototypes because it's not the final build, and creating the industrial prototype costs money (hence the kickstarter).

Plus, the they're under NDA from AMD about revealing info on their APU because that APU hasn't released yet (current one in the prototype is a placeholder)

Back