Release SLUDGE Adventure Engine now with GLES2 support

BigMc

Still Fresh
Hi,

I'm one of the developers of SLUDGE, a free (it's already in Debian and Ubuntu) adventure game engine with development tools, all working on Linux, Mac and Windows.

I wanted it to work on mobile devices such as the Pandora and maybe some phones, so I made the graphics code GLES2 capable. (It's working on my PC with GLES2 provided by the Mesa 3D driver.) Since I don't own such a device, I need you help to test it on actual mobile hardware and tell me what I have to change to make it work.

If you want to help testing, grab the SVN version as described here. GLES2 can be turned on with

Code:
./configure --enable-gles2

If compiling works, get one of the available games and start testing. I hope we can make this work on the Pandora. :)

Best regards,

BigMc

Maybe if someone like StreaK compiles this into a PND this'd gain a lot of interest. It looks really good.

I have dependency issues compiling natively on Pandora as it is needs the GLee library which in turn need standard OpenGL which isn't supported on the Pandora. Don't know an easy way round this (maybe using an OpenGL wrapper - not sure how to do this though).

I have dependency issues compiling natively on Pandora as it is needs the GLee library which in turn need standard OpenGL which isn't supported on the Pandora. Don't know an easy way round this (maybe using an OpenGL wrapper - not sure how to do this though).

You need to modify configure.ac in order to exclude GLee checks when configuring for gles2:

Code:
Index: configure.ac

===================================================================

--- configure.ac    	(révision 590)

+++ configure.ac    	(copie de travail)

@@ -49,8 +49,10 @@

fi

# Checks for libraries.

-AC_CHECK_LIB([glee], [GLeeInit], [GLEE_LIBS="-lglee"], [AC_CHECK_LIB([GLee], [GLeeInit], [GLEE_LIBS="-lGLee"], [AC_MSG_ERROR([cannot find glee library])])])

-AC_SUBST([GLEE_LIBS])

+if test "x$enable_gles2" = xno;then

+   	AC_CHECK_LIB([glee], [GLeeInit], [GLEE_LIBS="-lglee"], [AC_CHECK_LIB([GLee], [GLeeInit], [GLEE_LIBS="-lGLee"], [AC_MSG_ERROR([cannot find glee library])])])

+   	AC_SUBST([GLEE_LIBS])

+fi

if test "x$enable_engine" = xyes; then

PKG_CHECK_MODULES([ENGINE], [sdl alure >= 1.1 openal vorbis ogg])

and then re-run autogen.sh. Includes of glee.h are done only when compiling without -DHAVE_GLES2.

I've got solved dependencies on Alure and libvpx libs (cross-compiling openAl, Alure and libvpx) but for the moment I'm stuck with configure not detecting correctly OpenGLES2. Got things to do this afternoon but i'll try to investigate it tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I made the change and cleared the GLee error (btw trying to google 'glee' is pointless unless you like awful tv shows!!)

I'm now getting the following error

./configure: line 4396: syntax error near unexpected token 'ENGINE,'

./configure: line 4396: ' PKG_CHECK_MODULES(ENGINE, sdl alure >= 1.1 openal vorbis ogg)'

I've got pkg-config installed, am I missing another dependency for configure?

Thanks

I have fixed the GLee checks in SVN now. I guess you introduced a syntax error while fixing the GLee thing, try the version from SVN.

About OpenGLES2 not being found: It is about this line in configure.ac:

Code:
  PKG_CHECK_MODULES([GLES2], [glesv2 egl])

glesv2 egl are the names of the pkgconfig files that should be in $LIBRARY_PATH/pkgconfig, for example for me it's /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/glesv2.pc

Could also be /usr/lib/pkgconfig/glesv2.pc

Look if they are there and change the names if they are called differently. If there are no pkgconfig files, replace the line with

Code:
  AC_CHECK_LIB([GLESv2], [glEnable], [ENGINE_LIBS+=" -lGLESv2"], [AC_MSG_ERROR([cannot find GLESv2 library])])

AC_CHECK_LIB([EGL], [eglInitialize], [ENGINE_LIBS+=" -lEGL"], [AC_MSG_ERROR([cannot find EGL library])])

Hi again,

Thanks for the quick fixes :D I used the second solution of your previous post.

First the good news: I got it to build & run (just a noargs run, but i get the usage message).

Bad news: I had to edit by hand the generated Makefile and the GLES2/gl2.h (that's maybe a problem with my SDK version, it was missing the GLchar definition).

For the Makefile, I had "@GLES2_FLAGS@" that broke the build. I'm guessing it's some kind of token that's not getting replaced. I just removed it. Also, link line was missing the -lX11 which seems needed by eglport.

Two minor code fixes to get it to compile:

Code:
Index: source/Engine/graphics.cpp

--- source/Engine/graphics.cpp  (révision 598)

+++ source/Engine/graphics.cpp  (copie de travail)

@@ -19,6 +19,8 @@

#include <GL\glu.h> // handy for gluErrorString

#elif defined __APPLE__

#include <OpenGL/glu.h>

+#elif defined HAVE_GLES2

+#include <GLES2/gl2.h>

#else

#include <GL/glu.h>

#endif

Index: source/Engine/movie.cpp

--- source/Engine/movie.cpp 	(r&#233;vision 598)

+++ source/Engine/movie.cpp 	(copie de travail)

@@ -142,7 +142,7 @@

if (audioBuf) {

// Synch video timer to audio

Uint32 tick = SDL_GetTicks()+100;

-       		if (abs((long)(tick - movieStartTick)-(audioBuf->time_ms)) > 300) {

+       		if (abs((long int)((long)(tick - movieStartTick)-(audioBuf->time_ms))) > 300) {

movieStartTick = tick - audioBuf->time_ms;

}

I'll try running a game tomorrow, for now it's bed time :D

Nice that you got it to compile already. :) I fixed the issues you brought up, except the pkg-config one.

The @GLES2_FLAGS@ and the -lX11missing are results from not using pkg-config. Would you look if you have pkg-config files with different names before I change that? Or maybe you have one for egl, but none for glesv2?

GLchar is not supposed to be defined in gles2 I think, so I changed them to char.

EDIT: And when you try to run games, you should use the options -d1 -a-1 to enable debug output and disable anti-aliasing (which is quite heavy on the gpu).

Hi,

I tried to run two games (LifeFlashesBy and Out of Order) on the Pandora, and I got that:

Code:
Error: Bad file descriptor.

SLUDGE v2.2.0 fatal error!

Initialisation error! Something went wrong before we even got started!

Conversion to Unicode failed. This can be fixed by recompiling the game in a current version of the SLUDGE Development Kit, but this error should never happen. Congratulations, you've found a bug in the SLUDGE engine! Please let us know about it.

EGL Closed

Any idea?

Hmm, seems like you found a Unicode bug. Unicode is also a brand new feature, but it was not done by me, so I'm not so familiar with it. To test if it works despite of this thing, you could install the SVN version of the Dev Kit on your Linux PC and compile the Verb Coin example from doc/ExampleProjects/VerbCoin with

Code:
sludge-compiler VerbCoin.slp

Then try with that SLUDGE 2.2 game file.

EDIT: Probably that encoding name that is used is not recognized by your implementation of iconv. I added a check to svn to make sure. Probably you just have to replace the "CP1250" in line 94 of fileset.cpp by "ISO8859-2".

Once you get it up and running will you be good enough to post the actual binaries/files for me to try please. I can live without a PND version if that's a PITA? I'd love to try out some of these games they look really interesting.

Once you get it up and running will you be good enough to post the actual binaries/files for me to try please. I can live without a PND version if that's a PITA? I'd love to try out some of these games they look really interesting.

PND is ready already :D Just need to get a game to run...

i'm looking to it too...thanks :)

Hmm, seems like you found a Unicode bug. Unicode is also a brand new feature, but it was not done by me, so I'm not so familiar with it. To test if it works despite of this thing, you could install the SVN version of the Dev Kit on your Linux PC and compile the Verb Coin example from doc/ExampleProjects/VerbCoin with

Code:
sludge-compiler VerbCoin.slp

Then try with that SLUDGE 2.2 game file.

EDIT: Probably that encoding name that is used is not recognized by your implementation of iconv. I added a check to svn to make sure. Probably you just have to replace the "CP1250" in line 94 of fileset.cpp by "ISO8859-2".

Ok, I tried that, a window apperaed and disapeared and:

Code:
Video mode 480 360 set succesfully

EGL ERROR: Unable to query for available configs, found 0

EGL ERROR: Unable to configure EGL/ See previous error.

Segmentation fault

Have a look at the eglimplementation. There seems to be something wrong. Maybe try to set screensize to 800 x 480?

I changed the config to choose in eglport.cpp, because we need an alpha channel for some cases (at least parallax scrolling, not so common, but it's not drawn correctly without). To get back to the default eglport configuration (which was tested on Pandora), remove the lines

Code:
	ConfigAttribs[attrib++] = EGL_ALPHA_SIZE;

ConfigAttribs[attrib++] = 1;

at line 322 and set the green size back to 6. Otherwise, does some Pandora expert know what EGL configurations with alpha channel are supported?

No clue, but did you use pickles new eglport? That has some debugfeatures afaik.

Maybe this could be useful.

Yes, used the new one.

EDIT: But what debug features do you mean? Checking for more errors?

With the modification on EGLPort, i've got a black window who, I suppose, steals my input (no way to switch windows or close it).

Code:
*** Engine compiled Jan 15 2012 at 18:35:31.

Video mode 480 360 set successfully.

Error loading "scale" shader program!

Try re-installing the game. Advanced anti-aliasing is not possible. Using linear anti-aliasing instead.

Error loading "fixScaleSprite" shader program!

Try re-installing the game. The game will run anyway, but some graphics may be corrupted.

Error loading "yuv" shader program!

Try re-installing the game. It will run anyway, but any movies will be greyscale.

Error loading "texture" shader program!

Try re-installing the game. The game will run anyway, but some graphics may be corrupted.

Error loading "color" shader program!

Max texture image units: 8

Deleting texture while list is already empty.

Deleting texture while list is already empty.

loadBankForAnim: New sprite bank created OK

Failed to create stream from MOD: Unsupported type

SLUDGE v2.2.0 non-fatal indigestion report

I can't load a music resource I've been told to play. Sorry.

I attach a working install build of the sludge engine if someone wnats to play with it, cause I'm out until wednesday night for a work trip, (Madrid, woohooo).

If someone wants to try to re-crosscompile it, it was a pretty easy one. Just need to compile openAl, alure and vpx and (for me) remove the GLES2_CFLAGS and replace GLES_LIBS by -lX11 in generated Makefile.

Attachments

• sludge.tar.gz
    1.5 MB · Views: 174
Back