Release Out of Order

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is Out of Order, an adventure game "Point'n Click" using the SLUDGE engine.
preview1.png

The game use GLES2, and has some nice light effects and great graphism with an intriging storyline.

... But ...

As always, the CC has difficulty to make this game runs. I have found that only the 4.04 serie support the game, but even with them, there are some lookup after 10 to 15 min gameplay. So save often.
On Gigahertz, the game runs fine with 4.10 and 4.03 and Ihave not experienced any lookup. I haven't tested on Rebirth but I expect result similar to Gigahertz.

On last word, to gain some performances, I have remove a "glReadPixels" (well, many in fact). But specically, on the Mouse Pointer handling, there was some glReadPixel to get the color of the background were the mouse point, then another one after an object if draw to check if the mouse precisely point the object. I remove the glReadPixel, so the test is just a BoundingBox test. I have not completed the game, so I hope I have not break anything later in the game (the beginning runs fine).

Hostory log
=========

Build 01
------------

• Initial build
  • Adapted to Pandora (fullscreen, GLES2 adaptations).

For the curious, the diff is here: View attachment opensludge_pandora.tgz

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, looking forward to this as I've been in an adventure game mood...

I feel like I have played this at some point.  That screenshot looks very familiar.  I will try it on my Pandora when I can.

Thanks for all the great stuff, ptitSeb.  It seems you spend far more time porting stuff than I have time to play.

I played it a very long time ago and I have no desire to play it again. But thats because A few years back I already had the desire to play it again and it's a pretty good if short/lacking in locations.

ptitseb, I am curious, how many items have you ported?  Really you are one of the big reasons the Pandora (and Pyra) are so awesome

OOoh, I loved this game on the PC back in the day.
Amazing, unique storyline and some challenging puzzles. Great adventure game all around!

Thanks a lot for the port, too bad CC get left in the dust again, but there is nothing you can do about that (I know the struggle...). Maybe I will give it a try anyway, just to see whether I remember all the puzzles :D

@ptitSeb

Is your adapted build able to run @16 bpp? The vanilla version of sludge only manages to start @24/32 bpp on Odroid C1. 

@ptitSeb

Is your adapted build able to run @16 bpp? The vanilla version of sludge only manages to start @24/32 bpp on Odroid C1. 

Yes it is, because the Pandora only have 16bpp available. I used FBO on many places. I have put the diff of the sources in first post, if you want to try it on the ODroid.

Touche! I'll try it out ASAP then.

@ptitSeb

Before:

ERROR: EGL Error detected in file eglport/eglport.cpp at line 287: EGL_BAD_NATIVE_WINDOW (0x300B)
EGL ERROR: Unable to create EGL surface!

After:

EGLport ERROR: EGL Error detected in file eglport/eglport.cpp at line 282: EGL_BAD_NATIVE_WINDOW (0x300B)

Description: An EGLNativeWindowType argument does not refer to a validnative window.

EGLport ERROR: Unable to create EGL surface!

@petevine: I forced "FrameBuffer" rendering here, so maybe it's not supported on the ODroid. In source/Engine/eglport/eglport.cpp the lines 341-345 are commented (exept line 344). Remove all those comments and try again...

Still doesn't start, here's the full log:

~/sludge-engine -d 1 /usr/share/out-of-order/gamedata

EGL NOTICE: Unable to read ini settings from file 'eglport.cfg'. Using defaults
EGLport: Opening EGL display
EGLport: Opening SDL/X11 display
EGLport: Initializing
EGL Implementation Version: Major 1 Minor 4
EGL_VENDOR: ARM
EGL_VERSION: 1.4 Linux-r5p0-01rel0
EGL_EXTENSIONS: EGL_KHR_image EGL_KHR_image_base EGL_KHR_image_pixmap EGL_KHR_gl_texture_2D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_cubemap_image EGL_KHR_gl_renderbuffer_image EGL_KHR_reusable_sync EGL_KHR_fence_sync EGL_EXT_swap_buffers_with_damage EGL_KHR_lock_surface EGL_KHR_lock_surface2 EGL_EXT_create_context_robustness EGL_ANDROID_blob_cache EGL_KHR_create_context 
EGLport: Found 5 available configs
EGLport: Using Config 0
EGLport: Binding API
EGLport: Creating Context
EGLport: Creating window surface
EGLport ERROR: unable to get window!
EGLport ERROR: Unable to obtain native window!
Startup Error
Couldn't initialize EGL.

Maybe some pandora specific stuff is interfering?

Back