Sleep - How many hours are you getting?

How many hours of sleep do you get per night/day?

• Total voters

Thank you. I'm having a great time otherwise. My schedule never afforded me much sleep, which was fine. It's just that now I'm feeling pressure at work and at home and its causing stress which is making me more sleepy and less effective.

I appreciate the words of encouragement though!

A pair of amber lensed sunglasses is recommended worn at least four hours before you intend to lie down, and to turn most of your house lights off/down. Something inexpensive like these which blocks blue light and wraps around your head: http://www.amazon.com/Uvex-S1933X-Eyewear-SCT-Orange-Anti-Fog/dp/B000USRG90

Avoiding eating too late in the evening, or anything that stimulates the sympathetic nervous system like caffeine drinks 6-8hrs before bed helps.

If you happen to be a habitual coffee drinker(which is a superb way to ruin one's health over time), an alternative beverage people rave over and which is caffeine free too is Dandy Blend: http://www.amazon.com/Dandy-Blend-Beverage-Dandelion-14-1-ounce/dp/B003SO4EK2

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. Granted coffee is an accquired taste much like alcohol, but is it bad?

I have sometimes wondered. I think my body tells me its not great for me but I still have 2 lattes per day.

I remember reading that some of the things in coffee are good for you.  Don't remember specifics, don't care.  I don't drink coffee.  My guess on the worst thing about coffee is excessive caffeine that some heavy coffee drinkers consume.

My guess on the worst thing about coffee is excessive caffeine that some heavy coffee drinkers consume.
You need to go higher than 400 mg of caffeine in order to get into the "excess" zone. that's more than 4 or 5 cups a day. Most people don't drink that much coffee, plus some blends contain less caffeine than others.

More than caffeine, the issue is with the coffee based drinks that are caloric bombs : coffee with way too much cream and sugar, or both... coffee itself as a raw drink (black, nothing added) was used for its medicinal properties for a long time.

coffee itself as a raw drink (black, nothing added) was used for its medicinal properties for a long time.
And so was tobacco. There even was a device to literally blow smoke up the patients ass.

It's still nonsense. ;)

tb9ldqtu2itwv6hsjbyl.jpg

http://gizmodo.com/blowing-smoke-up-your-ass-used-to-be-literal-1578620709

I have found that on occasion, having a mild black coffee no sugar, and diluted with good quality water, is an excellent tonic.

Filter coffee is too strong, so my preference is a level teaspoon of good quality instant coffee dissolved in a large beaker of cold mineral water.

For me it acts as an 'enthusiasm' enhancer when the tedium of grinding away in trying conditions starts to wear at me.

Too much caffiene and I will feel edgy and 'off', but in small amounts it can make me feel like a million dollars.

When conditions are not trying, I have no interest in coffee and even the caffiene in tea is too much so I just drink water... typically rain water.

Oh, and off topic: I regard 6 hours as a solid completely rejuvinating sleep period. I seldom sleep longer than that even when I am utterly exhausted. On the rare occasions I sleep to 7 or 8 hours it just feels wrong.

Most of the time it is about 5 hours but frequently 4 and sometimes about 3.

When I am not on the road, I like to stay up untill I fall asleep at whatever I am doing... this is usually the early hours of the morning, but often I will not sleep at all which I really enjoy doing...

Way back when an air of depression suffused my life I loved naps.

It was a blissfull break from reality.

I have zero interest in naps now.

I am one with the Awesomeness.

Your claim that coffee ruins health is based on what exactly? There are several observational studies suggesting that coffee actually has benefits.
Link. In layman's terms, it triggers an immune response in healthy people which you don't want. 

If you consume a healthy diet, exercise often, and get plenty of rest by also staying away from the computer several hours before bed, you don't need the artificial energy boost from coffee. That you crave it as a pick me up means you are already too exhausted to tell you're running on fumes. Those who push coffee by saying it's healthy do it for social or emotional reasons, or because they get a payback from doing so. Recreationally it's not so bad as a treat, but daily as a crutch, well, it's your life.  

Link. In layman's terms, it triggers an immune response in healthy people which you don't want. 
I saw that, but the problem is that you cant just say whether the increased response is clinically significant or not. And many other foods people eat every single day can generate such responses as well. So, MEH is all I have to say about that study. 

you don't need the artificial energy boost from coffee.
How about just because you enjoy the taste? You never do anything for pleasure? 

That you crave it as a pick me up means you are already too exhausted to tell you're running on fumes
In case you dont know, there are a bunch of sodas, including coca cola, that contain huge amounts of caffeine as well.. so please extend your comments to all caffeinated drinks then.  

Those who push coffee by saying it's healthy do it for social or emotional reasons
There are also unintended consequences. What is coffee is bad for your health, but, lets say, it makes you go out more to have a drink with friends and this in return has positive emotional effects and contributes to your well being and reduced stress levels ? Please do not simplify life to a single variable, its way more complicated than that. Thats why observational studies are conflicting each other, because we cant just measure every single factor.  

I wish people would finally stop telling me what to do, eat and drink. Coffee is unhealthy? Well too bad. i love to drink my coffee, and I love to smoke. I will continue to do so for my amusement until I feel like stopping.

If health were of such a big concern to you people (the ones abstaining from all kinds of shit depending on what's trending every half year, I believe it was gluten last) you would stop living in dense areas with lot's of air pollution and maybe stop using cars and planes. Guess how bad that is for you... but noone gives enough shits to do something that actually matters, apparently people are more concerned with telling other people how to live correctly.

anyway... I get between 5 to 9 hours usually, 5 hrs when I have to work a lot and 9 hours when I do not have to get up.

I saw that, but the problem is that you cant just say whether the increased response is clinically significant or not. And many other foods people eat every single day can generate such responses as well. So, MEH is all I have to say about that study. 

you don't need the artificial energy boost from coffee.
How about just because you enjoy the taste? You never do anything for pleasure? 

That you crave it as a pick me up means you are already too exhausted to tell you're running on fumes
In case you dont know, there are a bunch of sodas, including coca cola, that contain huge amounts of caffeine as well.. so please extend your comments to all caffeinated drinks then.  

Those who push coffee by saying it's healthy do it for social or emotional reasons
There are also unintended consequences. What is coffee is bad for your health, but, lets say, it makes you go out more to have a drink with friends and this in return has positive emotional effects and contributes to your well being and reduced stress levels ? Please do not simplify life to a single variable, its way more complicated than that. Thats why observational studies are conflicting each other, because we cant just measure every single factor.  
I'm not telling you to quit coffee but since the body of a healthy person responds negatively to it, you may want to curb or eliminate intake if you want to be around long-term. Imagine what it does to the more common, less healthier individual. The damaging cascade effect would be exponential. Unless your lifestyle is geared toward vitality, which offers some measure of repairing protection, the repercussions from years of imbibing this stuff for the taste could be untraceable yet profound, but as I said before, it's your life, to live rationally or irrationally.  ;)

apparently people are more concerned with telling other people how to live correctly.
Yeah - that's become a big business these days, and blogs are filled with "Why You Should Do This and That" everywhere. I'm pretty sick of that trend to try to fix everyone else's lives. (not talking about Saber here).

, the repercussions from years of imbibing this stuff for the taste could be untraceable yet profound, but as I said before, it's your life, to live rationally or irrationally. ;)
Again, I'm questioning the lack of evidence. Are people dying earlier because of coffee intake ? Actually, NO. Never ever demonstrated in any kind of study so far. Inflammation, maybe, but does not mean it's clinically relevant, again (you did not answer that point).

Do you know that bananas are radioactive because they contain usually an isotope of potassium ? Do you stop eating bananas & do you believe that any amount of radioactivity is bad for you and that we should all live under the ground to avoid cosmic rays ?

Come on.

And oh, don't take your car to go anywhere, you have a lot more chance of dying by driving than by drinking coffee for the rest of your life.

Back