Skylark

BlackCurtain said:
Thanks for the comments. It's always nice with some input and feedback.
I guess this topic would fit better in Developer's corner as it's a commercial game and not "home-brew" per se. Maybe it would get more views there?

"Commercial" and "homebrew" are not mutually exclusive, neither are "indie" and "commercial" or "success" for example (some people strongly disagree though).
Anyway, from my experience you get the most views and replies in "General Talk", I suspect some people don't even view the "Developers corner", because it has "developer" in the name as sounds like it is for developers only as you get substantially less views there - so I guess that would not help it.

Last edited by a moderator:
foxblock said:
BlackCurtain said:
Thanks for the comments. It's always nice with some input and feedback.
I guess this topic would fit better in Developer's corner as it's a commercial game and not "home-brew" per se. Maybe it would get more views there?

"Commercial" and "homebrew" are not mutually exclusive, neither are "indie" and "commercial" or "success" for example (some people strongly disagree though).
Anyway, from my experience you get the most views and replies in "General Talk", I suspect some people don't even view the "Developers corner", because it has "developer" in the name as sounds like it is for developers only as you get substantially less views there - so I guess that would not help it.
I guess you are right, though I often associate the term "homebrew" with "open-source" and "free".
Anyway, back on-topic.

Here's the title screen. The grass in the background is animated, waving in the wind.

screen_26.png

screen_27.png

:) :) wondeful! :D
i have a little question about this game: the touchscreen will be used? or no?
thanks ;)

kayuz said:
:) :) wondeful! :D
i have a little question about this game: the touchscreen will be used? or no?
thanks ;)
For Caanoo there won't be touchscreen support. But I plan to port the game for Android and possibly iOS later which will require touch support.

The Skylark demo is now available for Caanoo and Pandora.
Caanoo release: download
Pandora release: download

Secondary Caanoo download
Secondary Pandora download

NOTE: As the Pandora is a much more powerful device, it have allowed me to use nicer graphics filtering in the Pandora version, which makes the graphics look a lot smoother. It also has twice the in-game resolution than the Caanoo version.

Tried both versions.

You made a really really good work !

I enjoyed playing with Skylark. Graphics are just great, and even better on the Pandora. The musics stick perfectly with the action.

Nice to see many different monsters in the castle, and some are quite hard to kill ("wormoid" or something like this ^^ ).

Finished the demo on both.

I think it's really good :)

I have some little problems :

- when you choose your name, you go up with the stick to choose "A", but it goes on "B", sou you must go down to come back to "A".
It would be fine to use a button to erase a letter too. (both versions)

- Controls are a bit weird on Pandora I think. Why not using A,Y,B,X and L/R, it would be easier to reach.

EDIT :

- when you buy/sell an object, a sound or a dialog to know it worked would be fine. Cause I always go in the inventory to be sure of the transaction.

BAFelton said:
Tried both versions.

You made a really really good work !

I enjoyed playing with Skylark. Graphics are just great, and even better on the Pandora. The musics stick perfectly with the action.

Nice to see many different monsters in the castle, and some are quite hard to kill ("wormoid" or something like this ^^ ).

Finished the demo on both.

I think it's really good :)

I have some little problems :

- when you choose your name, you go up with the stick to choose "A", but it goes on "B", sou you must go down to come back to "A".
It would be fine to use a button to erase a letter too. (both versions)

- Controls are a bit weird on Pandora I think. Why not using A,Y,B,X and L/R, it would be easier to reach.

EDIT :

- when you buy/sell an object, a sound or a dialog to know it worked would be fine. Cause I always go in the inventory to be sure of the transaction.

Thank you for the comments. I will investigate the Pandora controls and see if I can get the A/Y/B/X buttons working, I'm aware it would be easier, I just set the keyboard controls as a temporary solution.
The merchant shop is still a bit work-in-progress. It will be improved for the final version of the game.

@BlackCurtain
I maybe mistaken, but anyway: The rules of the riot - compo state that it is not allowed to make the game available somewhere else before the voting ends. Apparently someone(I guess you) has uploaded Skylarc in the archive:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,22,425
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,22,737

...wouldn't that break the rules then?

Schnatterplatsch said:
@Blackcurtain
I maybe mistaken, but anyway: The rules of the riot - compo state that it is not allowed to make the game available somewhere else before the voting ends. Apparently someone(I guess you) has uploaded Skylarc in the archive:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,22,425
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,22,737

...wouldn't that break the rules then?

Competition FAQ said:
Can I release beta versions prior to submission?
You are encouraged to keep as public a profile as possible. In fact this could be of benefit as it is your peers who will vote later on, and don't underestimate the power of branding. That said, it is important that you do not release anything after the submission deadline, as this will get you disqualified. The reason is that voting is done by the public, and we cannot allow people to continue to sway votes toward their game by improving it after the competition has ended. Once voting has finished you are free of any and all constraints.

So no, it doesn't break the rules as I didn´t upload a finished game and I haven't updated the uploaded versions.
The "AAAA" and "Paper Wars" games was also uploaded before competition deadline, so I'm not alone.

Schnatterplatsch said:
Ah, okay. So unless you update the versions in the archive it is ok, right?
Yes, as it says in the FAQ, you are not allowed to upload a newer version of the game than the one you submitted to the competition after deadline. My competition submission and the file archive upload is the same versions.

BlackCurtain said:
So no, it doesn't break the rules as I didn´t upload a finished game and I haven't updated the uploaded versions.
The "AAAA" and "Paper Wars" games was also uploaded before competition deadline, so I'm not alone.
"AAAA" was not uploaded until before competition deadline.

Hahahoj said:
BlackCurtain said:
"AAAA" was not uploaded until before competition deadline.
Is that right? I downloaded them before the competition deadline. Doesn't matter, the rules says it is allowed.

Back