Skylark

Blackcurtain

Website
www.blackcurtainstudio.com
Time to reveal my second Caanoo game, which currently is in demo stage. (Now also available for Pandora)
It's called Skylark and is basically a RPG platformer with lots of monsters and lots of items and stats advancement. I will try to finish in time for the Riot competition (or as much as I can to at least release a playable demo).

*Note that this is a commercial game, hence the full game won't be released for the competition.

logo_small.png

Story (spoilers left out)

A man by the name Borealis, finds a young boy out in the woods, alone in the night, forsaken to his own dreary fate. The man takes the child in and cares for him. The boy seems to have an odd relation to birds, which all around befriends him where ever he goes. Hence, he names the boy Skylark. Twenty years later, Borealis gets brutally murdered by an unknown assailant. Once Skylark discovers the murderer's identity, he traces the assailant for days to an old castle, far out into the ancient woods. Skylark ventures deep into the castle, to hunt down his father's murderer. Not knowing what secrets and dangers that awaits him, he will soon discover his higher purpose, and that he is the only one who can seal the dark force that is stirring in the heart of the old castle.

Gameplay

Your goal is to advance further into the castle, through each of the rooms, but you can always backtrack to where you have previously been. Skylark has your normal RPG stats and level progression system, and as you kill monsters you will gain experience and level up. Your stats determine your attack and defense rate. You can also find items through out the game like swords, shields and armors that you can equip to enhance your basic stats. There are several magic Tomes hidden in the castle that you will find, and these Tomes are used as skills/magic. But to use a Tome it costs Action Points and another resource called Eyes, which are basically human eyes that are used as vessels for magic energy to cast Tome spells. These eyes were infused with magic by an ancient order of black mages, that practised their rituals inside the castle, in order to contain more energy for their rituals and spells. The eyes came from human sacrifices to the Dark One.

Ultimately, you must find the 3 magic Lenses, hidden in the castle, that can be used to restore the Dark One's powers or seal them in forever.

Inventory and items

You can carry 30 items in your inventory, but will be able to sell items that you don't need. All items in the game are dynamically generated within 6 categories (swords, shields, armors, helmets, consumable, accessories). So, you might find an item in one game run that you didn't find in a previous, due to the unique way they are generated.

Video

Screenshots

screen_0.png
screen_3.png

screen_5.png
screen_6.png

screen_7.png
screen_10.png

Team members:
BlackCurtain - programming, art, design
Pontus85 - sound and music

---
The Skylark demo is now available for Caanoo and Pandora.

Caanoo release: download
Pandora release: download

Secondary Caanoo download
Secondary Pandora download

NOTE: As the Pandora is a much more powerful device, it have allowed me to use nicer graphics filtering in the Pandora version, which makes the graphics look a lot smoother. It also has twice the in-game resolution than the Caanoo version.

Damn, we've got some pretty impressive stuff coming up in this competition... I can't wait!

Sooooooo.... I heard you like to play Castlevania?

Looks very nice.
Look forward to trying it!
(The more caanoo sutff the better! :D)

wow! another great game with this and Paper Wars... the RIOT competition will be veryy HOT! :D :D

kayuz said:
wow! another great game with this and Paper Wars... the RIOT competition will be veryy HOT! :D :D

I agree, this is turning very impressive. I hope it wont deter others ;-) but you can never have too much of a good thing

Last edited by a moderator:
hmn said:
BlackCurtain said:
I work alone.

You may want to revisit the compo rules ;)
Well I guess I'm out then, unless I get someone to help along the way. Doesn't say anything about how much the team mate needs to help.

EDIT: Does QA assistants count as "team members"? If so, then I have 2 team members, they QA:ed Arora Rift too.

Well, the whole spirit of the competition is to work with someone inside the community to make something special.
Hence "Tag-Team".

Check out number 5 on this list.

Not to gang up on you though! You've got a great project going here, it would awesome if you could find someone in the community who could contribute something to make the game "magical".

traylorpark said:
Well, the whole spirit of the competition is to work with someone inside the community to make something special.
Hence "Tag-Team".

Check out number 5 on this list.

Not to gang up on you though! You've got a great project going here, it would awesome if you could find someone in the community who could contribute something to make the game "magical".
I've left out the whole "tag team" part of the competition name, I only thought it was called "Riot competition".
Ah I see. In that case, if there are any good (volunteer) spriters or sound guys/girls out there, feel free to PM me, and I'll see what work I can bring you.

Back