Simple Game Making App For Gp2x

i still wonder about gamemaker by mark overmars, that program rocks, if someone can get the gamemaker executables to run on the 2x that owuld rock

ZOT is easy to use :p Im sure Skeezix will port it if hes around cuz the gp2x is a nifty device, theres a gp32 version that works well.

Its basically using notepad on your gp2x to make the levels, and then u can test em on there as well.
1. Nobody uses Zot. I don't know why but nobody does.
2. Typing on the GP2X doesn't work. It has nothing to type with. SMSing a Zot game is no fun.

@gp2brew: A SEUCK would be a nice option I guess (never tried one) but of course it is limiting creativity. :blink: You can pretty much only make shooter games with it.

Then type it up on ur computer.. and Test it on gp2x :p

OH and you can make any sort of game that a snes system can have with ZOT. For example: RPGS, Racing games, Side Scrollers [mario.etc]

The only reason i suggested ZOT is because it requires no coding knowldege etc,, and its really easy to use. Just going for flavour from reading his title.

Simple Game Making App For Gp2x
You can't make mode7 games with Zot. The SNES could do a lot more different things than are possible with Zot. Zot is pretty limiting if you don't want to code scripts and unfortunately the physics are a bit messy. However, it also lets you do some cool things very easily. The problem is that nobody uses it so Skeezix might not even port it. Why should he? Make a Zot game yourself and give him a reason!

Last edited by a moderator:
what do you mean "slow"-you don't have to code! :p

Slow meaning the games wont run well because it is SCRIPTS, not native code.
Unless it actually compiles real usable code, it will never be as quick as a real game,
it will make unnecessary overhead.

Also, if you're thinking point n' click stuff, not gonna happen. Some coding will
be required sometime, so why not just get it over with and learn C?

But even when you make a game engine from scratch, you don't want to have to hard code all the events, maps etc into the program itself... Which is why so many games use a scripting language or something else outside of the executable to control the game itself. So the important functions that need the most speed can be hard coded, and then extra stuff can be easily added by creating maps, graphics and script files (some examples are Doom, which uses WADs to lump all the resources together, GTA2 which uses external data files, including scripts and levels(and I'd assume the same is true for other GTAs) etc.). Scripts are slower than compiled languages, just like high level languages are slower than high level languages, but it's not like they're cripplingly slow, if they're done right.

Anyway, on the subject of game makers for GP2X... Gamemaker would be pretty cool, but I doubt you'd be able to get the source, since the owner does sell registrations. You might be able to persaude the author to add GP2X support... but I doubt it, since that would require something of a rewrite- it currently uses DirectX, which would surely be a big problem in getting it to create binaries to be run on a non-windows machine.

A while back there were some posts to the effect that an interpreter for rm2k(3) might be cool... well, some of the knowledge of the rm2k file formats exists, so it's not inconcievable.

Sphere might be a good option for making games on PC for use on GP2X. It's free and open source. It uses javascript as it's primary language, and I believe that some minor support for python has been added. So maybe Sphere runtimes could be compiled (with changes for input) for the GP2X.

But in any case, it is near certain that games with well established editing features will be ported, like Doom, Quake (Yes, already done ;)) and so forth.

Ferentix posted on Dec 1 2005 at 12:42 PM said:
Scripts are slower than compiled languages, just like high level languages are slower than high level languages, but it's not like they're cripplingly slow, if they're done right.

A )
"just like high level languages are slower than high level languages"
- What?

B )
You also have to take into account the type of memory we are working with here. Not only is the GP2X slower than modern PCs in processing power, but the storage mediums are also quite slow. SD cards can't compare to hard drives. The time it takes to read from a script on a mid-range SD card, process that script, then do something is alot slower than the requirements of real time interaction. Any scripts like that have to be loaded into RAM first, which is an unnecessary consumption of resources anyway. I can understand PAK files and WADs for texture/3D/action events, but an engine running entirely off a script is a different matter.

I'm not saying it cannot be done, but these factors will have to be taken into account.

This is not the job of a port of a game making product, but the job of a game making product DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR THE GP2X.

Wait a minute you're that guy geniv :huh: who pissed everybody off with your bad taste. Don't post in my topics man, you're a partypooper. :lol:
:blink: I don't think anything was wrong with his post here. And he has a point. Coding on the GP2X would be quite tedious since it has no good input method. Also, all game making involves coding, even RPG Maker and stuff. The only thing that would be useful on the GP2X directly would be a level editor. Well, maybe you could even add some game physics adjustments through a simple menu. The problem is that you either limit creativity a lot or you make it too tedious to use.supporting me

Thanks for standing up for me.

from my previous post. some of you might think I"m anti GP2x. (especially some of the fanboys. no offense) but the opposite is true. I really want the GP2x to be successful. if not I won't bother to come the site/forums to see what new development is happening.

Don't know how old some of you guys here are but I'm 29 and I have some (tho limited) programming experience from college (visual basic, C, PPE, Pascal)

I also dab my hands in game creation engines a few years back. RM2K (Rpg maker 2000), 3DGS (cognitec 3D game Studio). tho I didn't get as far as officially releasing a game becaues of time/personal life constrains. but I did get about 40% done on one game from each engine. and how much time and effort it is in developing a game (at least in general, since u can come out with a very simple game that is a blast to play like tetris or space invader)

I just see some things more from a productivity perspective. Sure you can make a apps for the GP2x that can create games without programming. but they would pretty much suck.

Anyone that ever used 3DGS or RM2K (support me here) can tell you that u can just point and click and create a game with it but it would be VERY simple and can't do much. (like using 0.02% of the engine's capability)

ex SEUCK. for the gp32. sure it works but it's very limited to shooter (as would other game creator like RM2K ).

But in anycase developing games on the gp2x/gp32 would be like OrR said VERY TEDIOUS. Without a keyboard on the GP2x even "typing" out a intro story would be hell. don't believe me? use the softkeyboard on your PocketPC or Palm to type this out:

" Once upon in a kingdom call GP Land. There was a village. This village is a peaceful one. In fact the entire kingdom was dull and peaceful, until one day, an evil cloud covered the sky.
Monsters began to appear from the darkness and terrorize the villagers. But this was not a surprise to the villagers as they know this always happen in the beginning of an RPG. The princess of of the castle even started to pack her bags, as she already knew the rules of RPG will dictate her kidnapping by a large dragon. "

how long did it take you to "type" in the two short paragraph above? now imagine the time being 3 or 4 times as long because you are using the stick to move to the character around a softkeyboard instead of taping with a stylus.

and I doubt writing scripts using the gp2x/gp32x would be any better.
sure you can port game creation app to the gp2x/32x that are "no programming necessary" but I"m sure the games made for it would be VERY simple.

Not to mention the limited workspace of 320x240 pixel or the creation object library (graphics, sounds, musics, etc..) resources that you have/can fit on your device.

Anyway enough of my blabbering, the point I want to make is would you rather develope games using a control stick & 6 buttons (a la gp2x/32x) or a mouse/keyboard and dual LCD display & 2 gigs of object resurces (a la PC)?

Instead of having a game creation app for the gp2x/gp32x I would MUCH rather keep using the extisting tools on the PC but have it able to complie to run on the gp2x.

I would WET MY PANTS. If the author of the RPG MAKER 2K (or its later release RM2K3 RMXP) and 3DGS make an option to complie the games to run on the GP2X. (or other game engines for that matter. game maker, sphere etc..)

Anyone here used RM2K? (I've never use the 2k3 version or the RMXP version) but from my experience with rm2k and it's games the engine is perfect for the gp2x/32x's 320x240 screen size. (even tho the complied games run at 640x480 the graphics just look like stretched 320x240. in fact the full screen size graphic files it use is max of 320x240 I think)

DROOL. there's plently of games released from the rm2k engine. heck maybe I can release my incompleted games I made years ago. as my gift to the gp2x community to finish or play.

my bad. now that I remember correctly.

on RM2K my game was more like 8% complete as I was doing the world layout and adding stuff that the engine don't support directly like. 4 character in a row walking, mini world map, day/night/weather cycle. and some special item ability. suchs a machine that control the day/night cycle conjure up weather events like heavy rain/ snow.

The weather system was actually pretty cool. it would be randomized and slowly transition from one to another. (if anyone wants I can give them the project file )

with 3DGS I got far as starting to learn the scripting languages and it's 3D object editor. it was quite a complex engine to learn. so I didn't even get as far starting design of a game.

geniv posted on Dec 2 2005 at 01:01 AM said:
Instead of having a game creation app for the gp2x/gp32x I would MUCH rather keep using the extisting tools on the PC but have it able to complie to run on the gp2x.

A )
Watch out for those double posts!

B )
What would be really nice is something more universal, like basic. Screen control, basic math, text out...

X )
The things involved in getting one of those game making programs to compile for the GP2X outnumber the amount of days I've been alive. Seeing this happen with any commercial utility is very slim.

Y )
If someone is going to write a game for the GP2X, they should do it with the tools that are designed for the system, meaning a cross platform C compiler and development environment. Not only would the games function poorly, they would be plagued with all the problems inherit in the engine behind them.

START )
Such a toy is cute to play with and nice for someone with creativity yet lacks the know-how, but its still a toy, and not a real tool.

Zot!'s problem was that it was indroduced right before Fenix and was limited in comparison. If you look at the demo game the come with Zot they're straight foward but they don't overflow with potential. You expect to never get much more out of it than pacman. bubble bobble and donkey kong type clones. Supposedly the easiest of them. Likelyhood of porting is low sadly.

Fenix is far more robust feeling, you get scaling and rotation lots of animation and it seems that you could create similar games to flash, which a lot of people love. somewhat complex but Likly hood of porting is high.

Pygame/python looks greate but I expect it to be next to impossible for the layman to pick up and runwith.

SEUCKs are awesome and are gauranteed to have tons of games made for it but depends heavily on the quality of the engine as to what you'll be able to do. If you look at Dezaemon for the SNES you can find some nice gameplay but it wont make anything too different than the demos provided. The only thing you end up changing is the presentation (ie, ship, bullets, shot patterns and backgrounds... and maybe the music if you feel gutsy.) Beats Of Rage probably provides more custimization

Beats Of Rage as I mentioned is quite customizable for things like story and from what I can tell is a bit easier than most engines but still requires work in terms of art and level planning, but the problem is you can only make beat 'em ups.

RPGmakers.... yeah great but not happening unless you can write an enterpreture for RM files. but there may not be anyone willing to do such a thing.

only thing is rm2k is not open source.

and rights owned by a japanese company.

only reason I was able to get a hold of it was someone got hold of it and persumablly some of the sources code and translated it into english.

and wham! whole communities sprung up from it.

as far as the actual game is. it runs pretty smooth on a pentuium 300mhz. and don't require too much resources
(except if it's sloppily coded and some stupid loops in like I firs made the mistake)
so it should be able to run fine. if an interpertator is writting for it in gp2x

so far I can only dream

Back