Silent progress

Can confirm, considered the possibility that it would look like garbage, still want it now!

Honestly, if you can't be bothered carrying a couple of accessories or cheap phone with you, I see absolutely *no issue* with wearing a discrete bluetooth earpiece.

If that's too much, then open the lid and use the speakerphone.

I think they rather just put a mic and speaker on the lid than do this.
"They" are doing nothing of the sort. EvilDragon has already said he's not turning the Pyra into a phone, it will just have features that could potentially be used for phone like behaviour. It's up to the end user to do what they want to support it.
He is completely right in doing so. I remember when the Nokia 9000 communicator came out in 1996 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_9000_Communicator). It was the combo of a phone and a clamshell computer.
And the first time I did see someone in the public use one, he did look up a phone number on the Nokia 9000 and did type it on another phone to do the call...

This was a so impressive contradiction for me that I still remember that it was on a Gatwick express train in the UK.

So you won't be happy to really *use* the Pyra pocket computer-console as a phone. Except in exceptional situations - and then a headset is equally good.

In other words, we can not achieve a good phoning experience and therefore we don't even try.
Considering using the OMAP5 for the neo?

P.S. I loved the openmoko ;)

In other words, we can not achieve a good phoning experience and therefore we don't even try.
I'm not looking for a good phone experience, I'm looking for a portable computer that I can occasionally use as a phone. :)
And that's what you'll get. :) He's merely saying it's not worth the costs for something that would likely be listed as a con for the device in reviews.

-God Ginrai

And that's what you'll get. :) He's merely saying it's not worth the costs for something that would likely be listed as a con for the device in reviews.

-God Ginrai
What would they say? Why did they add this here? I wanted to have to open my Pyra to listen to music, record and be force to use a headset, but this is preventing me from doing so.

lol

-God Ginrai
What would they say? Why did they add this here? I wanted to have to open my Pyra to listen to music, record and be force to use a headset, but this is preventing me from doing so.
lol
No, they'll say: "For something that tries to be a phone, it does a shitty job of it."

-God Ginrai

Speaking of phone functions via headset, any idea if headset buttons would work?  I think the buttons just short the mic pin to ground or something. Could Pyra detect this?

Speaking of phone functions via headset, any idea if headset buttons would work?  I think the buttons just short the mic pin to ground or something. Could Pyra detect this?
Could it? Yea, probably.

Will it support it when it ships? Nah, you'll probably see it added later due to homebrew efforts.

-God Ginrai

Wow the phone topic is quite popular by the looks of it. I wouldn't even think of getting one for phone purposes. And I am sure that everyone who is planning to get the Pyra already has a phone of some sort. I highly doubt that using it as a phone will really be that big of a deal...

And I am sure that everyone who is planning to get the Pyra already has a phone of some sort.
These days, most people who buy a new phone already have an older phone which still works perfectly fine. That's completely irrelevant to them.

And I am sure that everyone who is planning to get the Pyra already has a phone of some sort.
These days, most people who buy a new phone already have an older phone which still works perfectly fine. That's completely irrelevant to them.
That's true. I'm not saying they wont, I am sure they will use it at a phone. It is just interesting that it is such a popular topic. Just recently someone set up a poll about it. I think it will be a pretty neat feature to be able to use it as a phone, but I personally probably wouldn't...but that's just me.

My phone is 4 years old. It's pretty much time for an upgrade anyway, but the number of phones with physical keyboards these days is effectively zero.

Well, the Neo900 will have one, right?
Oh woo! The Neo900 will be using the PLS8! First time I checked I remember they were using something else that didn't support my carrier but either I misremembered or that has changed.THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!

Oh woo! The Neo900 will be using the PLS8! First time I checked I remember they were using something else that didn't support my carrier but either I misremembered or that has changed.

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING!
Glad I was able to be of help. :)

-God Ginrai

I would probably still prefer the Pyra over a Neo900, if it were an option, but in the absence of that I'm glad I might at least have some kind of option eventually.

Wow! I am extremely interested in this project. One thing that I did want to use the Pandora for but never got around to, is a portable studio, specifically recording in a club/venue. Will the Pyra have a Line In and Out or would I have to use a USB soundcard?

Back