Silent progress

One of the great things about standards is that you don't need manufacturer-provided accessories.

Why provide a bad accessory when the user could buy one themselves, which would be better value and better suit their needs?

I would rather just hold the closed Pyra like a phone.  I hope the microphone is on the hinge and exposed while it's closed.

I would rather just hold the closed Pyra like a phone.  I hope the microphone is on the hinge and exposed while it's closed.
While a mic on the hinge may work, you still need speakers on the outside.

Using my n900 for tethering (wifi) drains the battery in about 4 hours...

WiFi wastes more power than Bluetooth. Also, cheap feature phones actually have super long battery life compared to smartphones and are perfect for tethering with other devices.

-God Ginrai

Not really. The biggest battery drain to feature phones is the GSM radio. Even when just in standby. This can be observed if you got a chinese multi sim one. Have one SIM in, it might make two weeks of standby. Put another SIM in, and you're down to one week. I don't think you'll get more than a few hours of tethering time even with a feature phone.

If you dont want to ngage in such behaviour you can connect a headset, or just headphones to avoid having speakers on the outside.

If you dont want to ngage in such behaviour you can connect a headset, or just headphones to avoid having speakers on the outside.
People keep bringing that up, but the 2nd ngage fixed that. This way, I wouldn't have to carry another device.

Honestly , in a pinch I would expect you will be able to hear the speakers inside while the case is closed. Even then I never go anywhere without at least a set of ear buds that I use both for music and to not hole my phone up to my face. They are less of a second device and more of an extension of my phone.

in a pinch I would expect you will be able to hear the speakers inside while the case is closed
Just move the audio completely to the left channel (or right, if the mic gets moved around) and then it all thumps through the one speaker.

in a pinch I would expect you will be able to hear the speakers inside while the case is closed
Just move the audio completely to the left channel (or right, if the mic gets moved around) and then it all thumps through the one speaker.
Oh yeah, we may have to worry about the people on the other end of the line hearing themselves talk.  If "phone mode" turns off the nearest speaker to the microphone that'll be less likely.

Wouldn't it be muffled?
It may not give ideal audio quality, but I'm sure it would be understandable. You could get an idea by recording some speech, playing on the Pandora over the left speaker, and closing the lid.

I would be surprised if using the built in module together with an resource hog like firefox will not drain the Pyra's battery in 4 hours, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be surprised if using the built in module together with an resource hog like firefox will not drain the Pyra's battery in 4 hours, too.
I usually have a chat running, so the N900 is almost constantly sending little packets. N900 has a 1300mAh battery and OMAP3, Pyra has a 4200 or more mAh battery and OMAP5 which should give it a lot more online time, especially if just surfing normal (not heavy) websites.

Yes I know it is perhaps a little late (1. since the PCB is 95% complete and 2. this this Thread has moved away from the Topic) but would it be possible to put the SD-Slots to the side of the Pyra? they don't stick out so no problems holding it. And we would had more space on the front for Headphone or another USB or what ever...

It's a worthwhile question.  I don't think we're quite 95% on the board - we've not got the keymat confirmed yet.  At a guess, since the SDs have already been squished to the side to give the maximum contiguous area for the 3G module, CPU and other big chips and supported traces, chopping up the area like a big capital I might not allow the most space for that stuff.

Yes I know it is perhaps a little late (1. since the PCB is 95% complete and 2. this this Thread has moved away from the Topic) but would it be possible to put the SD-Slots to the side of the Pyra? they don't stick out so no problems holding it. And we would had more space on the front for Headphone or another USB or what ever...
I would think that the battery would get in the way.

-God Ginrai

Back