Silent progress

in a pinch I would expect you will be able to hear the speakers inside while the case is closed
Just move the audio completely to the left channel (or right, if the mic gets moved around) and then it all thumps through the one speaker.
Or - if you want to go one step more down that rabbit hole...

Use a software controlled switch to flip the 2nd speaker into a microphone.  Electrically a speaker and a mic are essentially the same thing - especially when you get down to the scale of embedded speakers.

Then  you just need an 'audio duct' to migrate the sound from the speaker & speaker/mic through the lid and around the screen.   Otherwise known as a pocket lint trap.

Good idea, actually. Anyone who can comment on how easy/cheap that would be and how it would affect quality?

Sounds like I'll get to use my beloved earpods on the Pyra, microphone and all. This is awesome.
You know what would be more awesome? To just be able to put the Pyra to your ear like any other phone and not having worry about another device.

:p

Or - if you want to go one step more down that rabbit hole...

Use a software controlled switch to flip the 2nd speaker into a microphone.  Electrically a speaker and a mic are essentially the same thing - especially when you get down to the scale of embedded speakers.

Then  you just need an 'audio duct' to migrate the sound from the speaker & speaker/mic through the lid and around the screen.   Otherwise known as a pocket lint trap.
What am I reading? I think they rather just put a mic and speaker on the lid than do this. :lol:

I think they rather just put a mic and speaker on the lid than do this.
"They" are doing nothing of the sort. EvilDragon has already said he's not turning the Pyra into a phone, it will just have features that could potentially be used for phone like behaviour. It's up to the end user to do what they want to support it.

"They" are doing nothing of the sort. EvilDragon has already said he's not turning the Pyra into a phone, it will just have features that could potentially be used for phone like behaviour. It's up to the end user to do what they want to support it.
I never said they were (since apparently he isn't the only one working on it, but this doesn't really matter). I was just comparing it to what you said. What exactly do you mean and where did he say this.'Cause I specify remember he said it can do voice calls.
Unless you mean just turning it into a phone altogether, which is not what I meant.

People want to bring it down to semantics and bring confusion even more. Let me make it clearer.

I didn't say he was. I was saying what (I think) he rather do than do what you were saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was saying what (I think) he rather do than do what you were saying.
Yes, you were quite clear, but you still missed the point.EvilDragon is not doing any of this. He has no intention of moving speakers or microphones to make the Pyra a phone. I forget where the exact quote is, it is from a couple months ago now. What he would rather do is entirely irrelevant to the discussion, what was proposed are things that people can do once they've got their Pyra to make it more phone like.

Yes, you were quite clear, but you still missed the point.

EvilDragon is not doing any of this. He has no intention of moving speakers or microphones to make the Pyra a phone. I forget where the exact quote is, it is from a couple months ago now. What he would rather do is entirely irrelevant to the discussion, what was proposed are things that people can do once they've got their Pyra to make it more phone like.
OK, but then why post ""They" are doing nothing of the sort." if you knew what I meant? As if that what I was saying.

Unnecessary harping.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure even the user would rather them do that to have to do what you stated. Better? lol

I had ordered a Pandora in late 2010... I had to cancel in early 2011 b/c my laptop died. I was really bummed about it, I really believed in the project. I have been catching up recently and it sucks that craigix was such a hinderance.

But I just watched evildragon's vid at FOSDEM 2014 and am so pumped for the pyra! Can't wait for preorders, I hope to get in the first batch!

Thank you EvilDragon for your perserverance, you have a lot of fans, keep it up amigo!

Edit: Also cool to see some names I recognize from years ago when I would browse the forums all the time.

I think they rather just put a mic and speaker on the lid than do this.
He is completely right in doing so. I remember when the Nokia 9000 communicator came out in 1996 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_9000_Communicator). It was the combo of a phone and a clamshell computer.And the first time I did see someone in the public use one, he did look up a phone number on the Nokia 9000 and did type it on another phone to do the call...

This was a so impressive contradiction for me that I still remember that it was on a Gatwick express train in the UK.

So you won't be happy to really *use* the Pyra pocket computer-console as a phone. Except in exceptional situations - and then a headset is equally good.

In other words, we can not achieve a good phoning experience and therefore we don't even try.

He is completely right in doing so. I remember when the Nokia 9000 communicator came out in 1996 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_9000_Communicator). It was the combo of a phone and a clamshell computer.
And the first time I did see someone in the public use one, he did look up a phone number on the Nokia 9000 and did type it on another phone to do the call...

This was a so impressive contradiction for me that I still remember that it was on a Gatwick express train in the UK.

So you won't be happy to really *use* the Pyra pocket computer-console as a phone. Except in exceptional situations - and then a headset is equally good.

In other words, we can not achieve a good phoning experience and therefore we don't even try.
1) You don't know the reason why he did that and then that's one person.

2) I (and others) would totally be happy to use the Pyra as a phone than rely on and carry a headset.

3) Even if it's not "good phoning experience", it's still better than relying on and carrying a headset

Also, Nokia 9110... It's over 9000!

For crying out loud!  It's just you that wants this feature, as far as I can tell.  Even the designer's opinion doesn't count, eh?

It's worth noting that the 9000 series communicators being middle-era Nokias were actually quite good phones, and not incredibly un-phone-like when closed.  I can only assume the 1990s user couldn't work out how to transfer a phone number from the inside to the outside, which were I believe separate systems networked together.  The Pyra won't look like a phone any way you skin it and will just look daft with speaker and microphone grills stamped on the outside, even if the software might be better (if you can convince anyone to code it, or do it yourself).

I'd suggest you either set up a poll to find out if anyone still cares about building in speakers and microphone to the Pyra for phone use, or give it up.  Nobody's stopping you hacking in your own microphone and speaker, and indeed I'm hoping the minor tradition of Pandora hardware hacking will blossom in the Pyra, so you'll get my full support for that.  But I'm absolutely against compromising the design to fit these features as standard, when a headset will do the job *better* than anything in-built.

For crying out loud!  It's just you that wants this feature, as far as I can tell.  Even the designer's opinion doesn't count, eh?

It's worth noting that the 9000 series communicators being middle-era Nokias were actually quite good phones, and not incredibly un-phone-like when closed.  I can only assume the 1990s user couldn't work out how to transfer a phone number from the inside to the outside, which were I believe separate systems networked together
Don't get your panties in a bunch. You are like this in the logo thread, like we supposed to accept everything. If you are so accepting why are you even here to give your input?

And you just helped my point.

The Pyra won't look like a phone any way you skin it and will just look daft with speaker and microphone grills stamped on the outside, even if the software might be better (if you can convince anyone to code it, or do it yourself).

I'd suggest you either set up a poll to find out if anyone still cares about building in speakers and microphone to the Pyra for phone use, or give it up. Nobody's stopping you hacking in your own microphone and speaker, and indeed I'm hoping the minor tradition of Pandora hardware hacking will blossom in the Pyra, so you'll get my full support for that. But I'm absolutely against compromising the design to fit these features as standard, when a headset will do the job *better* than anything in-built.
Doesn't have to look like a phone. If the worry about being "daft", Pyra would be looking like the mainstream devices.

You do realize how small these speakers and mics can be, right? Doesn't even have be in the lid. The base is fine.

I'm hoping I don't have to do such a risk on a $600+ device and no a headset will not be better, period.

The point was that it was the only person he ever saw who owned the phone.

-God Ginrai
I never seen anyone with a Pandora.

The point was that it was the only person he ever saw who owned the phone.

-God Ginrai
I never seen anyone with a Pandora.
Now imagine you had seen one person. And you saw him use it for something simple really quick, and then pulled out his 3DS or Vita to actually play games.

You haven't given a good reason someone would use another phone if they owned a device that already works as a phone.

-God Ginrai

You haven't given a good reason someone would use another phone if they owned a device that already works as a phone.

-God Ginrai
Levi kind of already did. Besides that, that's one account of someone doing it, that

doesn't mean everyone else did.

I mean, if they don't added it then fine. I'll use the speakerphone 'cause carrying a headset defeats the purpose of replacing my phone with this.

Only valid argument I seen is, they may not be room or plainly they don't want to do it. (A dull response.)

A speaker and mic that can be used with the lid closed has other applications than just making phone calls, though. If you're using it as a portable music player without headphones, or a speech recording device when doing an interview, you would be able to get much better battery life if you can keep the lid closed.

But I agree that it will not make a great phone anyway, even with good software support it seems unlikely that people will want to use this as their main phone.

A speaker and mic that can be used with the lid closed has other applications than just making phone calls, though. If you're using it as a portable music player without headphones, or a speech recording device when doing an interview, you would be able to get much better battery life if you can keep the lid closed.

But I agree that it will not make a great phone anyway, even with good software support it seems unlikely that people will want to use this as their main phone.
If they don't want to use it as their main phone, they can do those other applications. :p
You can do it with the base... just you have to put it on its "head".

I'm glad Ed didn't hire you to be a designer for the Pyra.
Oh, please. Whether he does or not, you would still be like "Release it now!  I'll buy it today!". lol

Back