Should We Move? - Forum Transfer Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha, so everyone is finally realizing that VChip isn't all that and a bag of..yeah.

What a surprise! The truth ALWAYS comes out. Chip's quest for power has finally come to a head. His ultimatum is, and always was, to take over the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
mindlord said:
Perhaps the community as a whole should pm/email Hando and petition him to take care of the issues that so both everyone. Getting a couple hundred PMs or emails should alert him to the gravity of the issue at hand.

hahaha no no it shouldn't. that is just ridiculous.
Edit: what the fuck dcgm you weren't supposed to tell people about that until he's entered phase 3 of the plan.

As much as I appreciate Hando for the work done on gp32x.de, I think he's being a bit harsh on the community, having logged in yesterday, and not replying at all, to all the PMs he's received and offers of help. Has anyone tried to talk to him on Google Talk at: kaziko@gmail.com, It seems like he uses it.

I'm tempted to call his company Creo and ask him what's going on. I can speak Polish after all....

'Chip' said:
'Trevor Bradley' said:
'Pickle' said:
The new system should be maintainable/accessible by multiple sources.
A second active mirror probably isn't necessary (I'm happy with a 24h outage as long as a good sysadmin is on the case), but it would be best if the website didn't have a "bus number" of 1. ED is good about keeping frequent off-site server backups. He has to - it's the same server that runs his online shop.

At the very least, Craig also has admin access (to the openpandora.org section for sure, I assume it's server wide) to the server itself so he can do necessary maintenance if ED is unavailable.
I also have two servers and can switch between those two in a few seconds.
So I could keep a live backup basically :)

Last edited:
I think that any new forum should be community lead, funded by people like us (regular forum users). That way, there is no question of a lack of impartiality, and it keeps things running in the same spirit as gp32x.de. I'd be very happy to make a long term donation towards the cause.

'skeezix' said:
3) Can the forum not be forum.openhandhelds.org and not forum.openpandora.org? At minimum a CNAME on openhandhelds.org would be trivial so they could be synonymous. I really hate when a forum is on a different domain (seems cheesy and suspicious), and it also hurts things by making it sound like its a shill for pandora, not a new community open platform. (ie: It has to outlive the pandora, and it has to not be pandora oriented, even if its pandora dominated :p)
It already is, I wanted to make it official when I finished setting up everything.

'skeezix' said:
(and for instance, get rid of the Pandora logo as the icon for every forum.. something smaller is better for those using resolution challenged machines at work, and to get rid of the Pandora bias.)
It gets a complete new design, yes.

'Alex.' said:
Besides the usual nostalgia (that unfortunately started to die in recent times), the only drawback I see to the new forums is the overwhelming number of platforms the forum will cover. GP32, GP2X, Wiz, and Pandora were a given, and perhaps A320 too, but now you also have IPhone, Android, PSP, DS, GBA, Nokia, and UMPC sections!...
That's way too much, I also don't want them... we still need to discuss about a lot of things.
I also have no idea why that topic here has been created before I even finished the boards ;)
One or two weeks more wouldn't have been a problem.

I don't want an all-in-one forum, I love gp32x.de and have always loved it. Because it had focus.

'DisgruntleElf' said:
Wow this is really inappropriate. The OP team really does not have the authority to rally a move on someone else's board. If the OP team wants to announce a new forum opening that's fine but placing a news/sticky rallying against this forum is an abuse of Chip's moderator's status. Hando was good enough to let the OP team have a home here to set up but then to coax everyone to leave because it isnt good enough for them is just plain wrong. If the OP team is ready now to go then go but you have no right to pounce on the board this way. If someone else attempted to do this the thread would be closed. Set up your OP forum and announce it when your done but this should stop.
It doesn't have anything to do with that.
A lot of times I've offered hando help, be it with giving me admin access so I can fix stuff when he hasn't got time or payment for the bandwidth or free hosting on one of my servers.

During the last months, I haven't heard much from him, sadly.

I love gp32x.de, it was the first board I ever came and stayed, and I wanted to give something back to those boards... so I created the archive, the Clicks for Devs, etc.

But what should we do - the forum has annoying bugs since weeks and we can't do anything about it... and hando doesn't seem to have the time.

'Orkie' said:
Honestly, from what they've said it sounds like they tried to buy the site and are now sulking because Hando has no interest in giving it up (and why should he?). But hey, I am pleased people are moving over: the sooner we get rid of Chip and the other idiots the better.
Thanks for the flowers, Orkie, I thought you might know me better... but hey, maybe you're even more stubborn and childish than I thought sometimes.
Don't get me wrong, I really think you're a good guy and pretty smart, but there's also that stubborn side of you that can be quite annoying sometimes.

As said, during the last year I offered multiple times free webspace, help in administration, etc.
I don't want to BUY it - I actually don't like the idea of a company behind a board... but there's not much I can do.
I even offered hando help and money in case he's got trouble in his real life and it would help him somehow... I see hando as a close friend.

I really WANT to keep gp32x.de, and if hando comes back and says he'll fix everything I'll stick to it - but that hasn't happened for a while, so if anybody can tell me WHAT ELSE we should do... I'll be very happy.

Last edited:
'lippy' said:
As much as I appreciate Hando for the work done on gp32x.de, I think he's being a bit harsh on the community, having logged in yesterday, and not replying at all, to all the PMs he's received and offers of help. Has anyone tried to talk to him on Google Talk at: kaziko@gmail.com, It seems like he uses it.

I'm tempted to call his company Creo and ask him what's going on. I can speak Polish after all....
If nobody else has had any luck contacting him, i'm not sure what your chances will be lippy, but IF you can get in contact with hando, you'll go down in gp32x.de folklore..........maybe.

Jesus Christ, the arguments against moving to the other board are all either the most asinine or the most petty bullshit I've seen in ages. Seriously, god damned ridiculous.

NERT! NERT! NERT! NERT!

That's way too much, I also don't want them... we still need to discuss about a lot of things.
I also have no idea why that topic here has been created before I even finished the boards wink.gif

I think if this whole proposition had been done in the manner described above and by you Ed, a lot more people would be partial to the idea. You're the most straight talking person on this board, and had this matter been put to a proper discussion by you before "going live" it would have had a better chance of being successful. I still hope you can sort it out, until then perhaps openhandhelds can be put on hold until a sensible discussion can take place on what that place should be, with input from everyone here. IMO Ed is as neutral as they get, any issue of being bias is non issue for me, as has been said many a time Ed hosts the gp2x file archives, has been involved various situations getting gph products to the masses, etc, etc, he deserves more credit then he's getting.

bazt said:
I also have no idea why that topic here has been created before I even finished the boards wink.gif
I think if this whole proposition had been done in the manner described above and by you Ed, a lot more people would be partial to the idea.
Not true at all, all that comes out of this is whining and bickering. And then nothing gets done.

Helpful as always PoisonedV.

So, EvilDragon, you have always seemed like a level headed guy to me, much moreso than Craigix at times, hell, most the community _have_ to respect you just because of the massive file archive you provide for all to use. So can you understand why I feel even though you have no choice, that the post by Chip was/is not really welcome at this time.

Can you remove the sticky topics he did that link to this thread?

[edit]

Not saying I do not support a move.

'EvilDragon' said:
Thanks for the flowers, Orkie, I thought you might know me better... but hey, maybe you're even more stubborn and childish than I thought sometimes.
I'm only going by what has been posted. If you don't want people to get the wrong end of the stick, don't trust Chip with anything like this. As a spokesperson he is pretty crap - one of the rare people who can play Chinese whispers by himself. Chip handled this badly: fact. Result? I'm staying put.

'synkro' said:
'Vimacs' said:
A forum about a device should never be in the hands of the manufacturer, its bound to cause interest conflicts.
You are so true about that, but sadly gp32x.de is in no state to be useful in the future.

This has really split the community, and I must say, this was always a great mature community. I have some experience in this type of thing, so let me share it.

I used to be a very active classic game fan. There was a vibrant community and a bunch of website and the r.g.v.c usenet news group. Sometime around 2000 or so the atariage website came along and then shortly after that they took over the distribution of new games written by fans. When they did this, they forced the old ones out of business and from what I recall publicly bashed some of the others. I objected to the new atariage guys and I knew what would happen. The prices all went up. You could get the games for free to play with multi-carts or memory carts and in many cases get the game on a cart for $10. Now the games go for 30-50 dollars. The games do come with nicer cartridges and boxes and stuff, but over all the community suffered and are now at the whims of the atariage website. There are still some cool things going on, but overall everything suffered.

People keep pointing out the the people working with the open pandora project won't be biased against anything because they sold all the systems. But I don't buy that. They have a much bigger stake in Pandora than they ever did in the GP32 or GP2X and they weren't segmented because they viewed all systems equally because a sale was a sale. But now, a sale for the wiz would usually be a lost sale for the pandora. In other words, they stood to profit or succeed equally from any sale before, but now they have a huge stake in the Pandora. They have to make back all the money and time they have invested in the Pandora. Does anyone think they are going to push the Wiz as hard as they would their own product? Also gp32x was a fan site not a gamepark owned site and even if it was, there was no competition. The only thing available was the GP32. None of this is a very bad thing. I understand WHY these guys want to push the Pandora. They want their product to succeed. Trusting them to be totally unbiased is very unrealistic. Anyone who doubts this is being unrealistic. It's human nature. It's the very reason science does double blind studies.

The owner of this website should really step up to the plate and get the site fixed, especially since so many people are willing to do it FOR FREE. He is making a stupid mistake. He could let these guys do all the work and keep the site going and all he does is pay for it and make whatever money the site may make. At this point, I am guessing the gp32x.de is not making any money which may explain his lack of interest.

I really hope we can resolve the issue without any major division of the community. This community is what makes the GP32 and the GP2X such wonderful platforms. Without the community the machines are bricks. Another thing I really liked about this site, especially when I first joined (things were different back then) was that the users were not teenagers. Now, I have nothing against teens, it's just that typically the hand held gaming market is built around kids. The gp32 was different. It focused largely on emulators and simpler classic type games that were no longer being made. The GP32 tended to draw an older audience and it really showed in the forums. If you go to any GBA or PSP or NDS forum you will immediately notice the difference. The idea of being able to play all your favorite older games on a portable game system was awesome and something that never existed before. The screen and controls were excellent... In any event, the gp32 would have been a one time failure if not for the community that actively supported it and I am far more concerned about the community in general than about any particular game system. Despite the fact that I feel the gp32 and the gp2x have plenty of life left in them, people do move on. So keeping the community vibrant and growing will ensure new hardware down the line. So please keep this in mind.

I did come off too strong last night in my earlier post and I apologize for it. I just get angry when people who are pandora fans dismiss the GP32 and GP2X as if they were unimportant or criticize them without ever having owned one. I am not saying that the post that I replied to was a non owner, it's just a general statement. I would notice people trashing the system and admitting that they don't own one and never used or even seen one. They go on and on about how wonderful the Pandora is and they don't even own a Pandora, let along the GP2X they say is such trash compared to the machine they don't even own. Some guy who joined 3 days ago has 25 posts trashing the gp systems and I think "Well, what are you doing here?" I don't go onto psp website and tell them how much the PSP sucks and I suspect most GP owners also abstain from that sort of behavior. So I apologize for how strongly I worded it, but I just get tired of it. The post I replied to suggested backing up the pandora section of the website and never even gave the gp sections a thought, which I thought was inconsiderate on a gp forum

Hopefully things will work themselves out and I really hope that the owner of GP32X decided to resurrect the site to it's former working design and glory.

Chris

I'm staying put.

If this forum completely dies then perhaps I'll look at moving to another forum.

I'm fine with Craig and ED creating an official Pandora forum for the product they are selling. But GP32X isn't that kind of forum; it is, and should be, a non-biased, non-partisan, community discussion forum.

Just because the owner of this site hasn't posted on here doesn't mean that he's giving his blessing for this kind of blatant abuse of moderating power. Simply making a new post when the new forum was up and running would have sufficed. By selling the Pandora with the new forum's url branded all over it they would have got plenty of new forum members. Attempting to convince people that this site is on its last legs isn't appropriate and may not necessarily be the case. We don't know what the owner of this site is doing behind the scenes.

Let's just wait and see...

(but by all means, in the meantime, feel free to backup the site.. if possible)

'Username' said:
'bazt' said:
That''s way too much, I also don''t want them... we still need to discuss about a lot of things.
One or two weeks more wouldn''t have been a problem.
I think if this whole proposition had been done in the manner described above and by you Ed, a lot more people would be partial to the idea.
Not true at all, all that comes out of this is whining and bickering. And then nothing gets done.
It's very obvious that the way this issue has been proposed has pissed quite a lot people off, I don't really have a problem with chip, I think he does quite a good job most of the time, but can understand why some people take issue with how he's done things here, ego+ego=boom! I agree though, there would have been whining and bickering but believe a more diplomatic approach would have ended in a less "us vs them" senario and a more positive outcome.

Orkie said:
'EvilDragon' said:
I'm only going by what has been posted. If you don't want people to get the wrong end of the stick, don't trust Chip with anything like this. As a spokesperson he is pretty crap - one of the rare people who can play Chinese whispers by himself. Chip handled this badly: fact. Result? I'm staying put. You can stick your head in the sand and pretend that these forums aren't broken and that a move isn't inevitable, or you can do something about it. I've never understood your irrational hatred for anything Craig is involved in, and I still don't. If you want to make me out as the bad guy because you're too stubborn to see the necessity of moving, so be it. This move still has to happen and somebody has to get the ball rolling.

'Chip' said:
You can stick your head in the sand and pretend that these forums aren't broken and that a move isn't inevitable, or you can do something about it. I've never understood your irrational hatred for anything Craig is involved in, and I still don't. If you want to make me out as the bad guy because you're too stubborn to see the necessity of moving, so be it. This move still has to happen and somebody has to get the ball rolling.
They are broken, but only in a minor way - it hasn't bothered me thus far. No, I don't see why I should move to any other forum just because you say so.

And for the record, anything that has happened between Craig and I (which incidentally is long past now) is nobody's business but ours, especially not yours. We may not be best friends, but I think you'll find it is quite rare that I start these Wiz vs. Pandora fights - nearly all arguments in which I am involved are started by some quite unprovoked insult from some 3rd party relating to matters they know nothing about. As such, I respectfully request you mind your own business.

This is nothing to do with Craig, or Pandora or Wiz or anything else but you.

You know what though, lets remove Chip from the equation though.

The forums are broken signifigantly, that may not bother you but they're still broken. No one can fix them right now, and the only one that can isnt responding to anyone what does that tell you?

Why stay loyal to someone who clearly doesnt care, the pandora team cares about pandora sure enough to finaly say it's time for them to move, but they care about everyone else too, enough to offer a new place to congragate. "Come a long with us" if you will. Okay maybe you have a problem with Chip, maybe you even have a problem with Craig, But ED has been nothing but supportive of the community and he supports the idea of moving, If I followed no one else I'd follow him because if nothing else moving makes sense because nothing is being done. He hasnt even responded to any of this.

We've got a 11 page thread, and people messaging Hando left and right, screaming out "help us!" and he's saying "No."

Orkie said:
This is nothing to do with Craig, or Pandora or Wiz or anything else but you.

OK, so enlighten me: How should I have handled it? If I had said "Should we move?" instead of "We are moving", would the result have been any different? The vast majority of people here realize that this forum is broken, and now that I've explained that Hando is completely indifferent to the future of this board, they mostly understand that its days are numbered. The sour grapes minority that think I'm some sort of monster for dealing with an unfortunate inevitability would still be angry that I'd even brought it up. Whether I phrase it as an anouncement or a question, the necessary outcome is that a new board must be made avaialble (and preferably in use) before this one crashes for good. Better to make the only possible decision right off the bat and get things moving.

I didn't make this decision. Hando made it for us. If he came back right now and said "Hey guys, I've been really busy lately. I'll see about fixing some of the problems when I get a chance", then I'd call the whole thing off. If it were I legitimate option to keep everything here on this board, I would support that 100%. But since Hando apparantly logged in yesterday for the first time in weeks and didn't bother to comment on the situation at all, I think it's pretty clear he has no interest in what happens to this board or this community.

Without active administration, this board will not last. It sucks, and I'm sorry if your feelings were hurt by my pointing out this fact, but it is a fact.

I agree with Orkie. It's not like this forum is ridden with all sorts of exploits and people are frightened to come here. There are some minor annoyances with code, slashes, etc, but there's no reason to create a stickied thread to convince people this place is about to implode and thus we must move.

I still don't understand why Chip has really any power at all. He just opened his mouth a few times, volunteered his lackluster life, and suddenly he's the spokesman for the internet. It was a huge mistake to give him modding powers. I'm sure if Hando knew he was rallying against this site, Hando would suddenly appear and take care of business. ESPECIALLY after the incident with Rico, which was so minor compared to this garbage Chip is pulling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back