Should We Move? - Forum Transfer Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Vimacs' said:
Just ignore this topic and dont move...

A new forum isnt a bad idea, but NOT like THIS.
How about just ignoring you, your words arent official words by Hando either.
We have both reasons to stay here and go to the new forum, we just have to look how openhandhelds will be.

Last edited by a moderator:
'arrrgh' said:
Wait, so openXile was made for the sole purpose of getting away from Pandora people? So much for the community :(
No. There are plenty of people on the OpenXile team who have preordered Pandoras.

I support the move and am surprised it's taken this long for it to occur. It's unfortunate that in some people's minds, no matter what OpenPandora does it'll never be "right." :(

A forum about a device should never be in the hands of the manufacturer, its bound to cause interest conflicts.

'Vimacs' said:
Just ignore this topic and dont move...

A new forum isnt a bad idea, but NOT like THIS.
I'm with Vimacs and Iorgy77 on this one. The idea of a replacement forum is a good one, but the circumstances and implementation are most important. We need impartiality too, but with the whole Openpandora team behind it this could never happen.

Not impressed at all with Chip abusing his mod status, attempting to round the community up like a flock of sheep. I'm hanging back til the death and then moving over to Guyfawkes' place. All this is leaving a really nasty taste in the mouth.

Uhum, why exactly do you feel this way though? You can't just say "well, it's a bad idea" and not explain why. Seeing as how Craigix was/is a supplier of all the consoles covered, where would the bias come from? I understand why certain people feel Chip abused his moderator powers, but I really do not get this talk of a forum being biased, just because of where it is hosted.

I'm pretty sure the file archive isn't biased, is that not hosted at the same place?

There has to be a bias somewhere if the forum has been created and hosted by the same team behind the Pandora project.

It may as well just become an official forum then.

Is there a reason the "official forum" can not be the same as "the community forum" for a device created by "the community" ?

Ow, now I have headache.

Perhaps the community as a whole should pm/email Hando and petition him to take care of the issues that so both everyone. Getting a couple hundred PMs or emails should alert him to the gravity of the issue at hand.

'yodaofborg' said:
Is there a reason the "official forum" can not be the same as "the community forum" for a device created by "the community" ?

Ow, now I have headache.
Anything 'official' cannot be totally impartial. Unfavourable reviews or stories could be omitted, heavy handed censorship of posts which may reflect badly upon Open Pandora Ltd and as an example, just think about games reviews in official magazines - Often with highly biased scores.

If the OP teams really wants more activity on their board the answer is quite simple:
email all those pre-order Pandora buyers and inform them that if they wish to be chosen to participate in testing the first 200 Pandora run they must be registered and active members on the OP forums. When the time comes they may want to set up an exclusive forum for the test run that can only be viewed by registered members. This will give them the chance to see how well their boards hold up to high level traffic.

On a positive note perhaps the decrease in user volume on these boards will give developers a home where they can discuss among themselves peacefully and uninterrupted.

'mindlord' said:
Perhaps the community as a whole should pm/email Hando and petition him to take care of the issues that so both everyone. Getting a couple hundred PMs or emails should alert him to the gravity of the issue at hand.

I've already done this. Everyone else should do this as well. And report Chips first post of this thread as abuse of admin rights (although he'll prolly clear it , but still....).
Also, there is already signs of bias on this forum, mainly coming from Squidge although Chip has shown signs of it as well, so I'd hate to think how bad it is on this other forum.

'x68000' said:
Not impressed at all with Chip abusing his mod status, attempting to round the community up like a flock of sheep.
What's the alternative? Let it splinter, or let the whole thing die at some point in the future? Trying to get everyone to move (which includes all the whiners, sounds damn impartial to me) is the best of a set of really bad options. Although if it does split into a couple of different boards maybe we'll get rid of some of the worst trolls.

It's not like they're trying to hijack Hando's community - after all, it's become blindingly obvious that Hando doesn't give a shit about this board.

The GP32Spain forum is maintained by the official spanish GP2X distributor, and it's a great community where there's no problem at all talking about other consoles / handhelds besides of the GP32 and GP2X.

I don't see a problem with the forum being lead by OpenPandora creators as long as they're also distributing other consoles and handhelds in their shops.

I'm sure they're interested in having all consoles as popular as possible, as that means more sales for them.

'Vimacs' said:
A forum about a device should never be in the hands of the manufacturer, its bound to cause interest conflicts.
I agree. What about donate via paypal and buy a domain and server? This will be done by community. All donators [ and people wanting to change the forum ] could meet in the irc to discuss wnat message board cms use.

'StreaK' said:
'Vimacs' said:
I agree. What about donate via paypal and buy a domain and server? This will be done by community. All donators [ and people wanting to change the forum ] could meet in the irc to discuss wnat message board cms use.

Such an idea is already underway....in a way.

'Javacat' said:
Also, there is already signs of bias on this forum, mainly coming from Squidge although Chip has shown signs of it as well, so I'd hate to think how bad it is on this other forum.
There's always going to be some bias no-matter where the forum is hosted, this is afterall, the internets!

But yeah, if they start over-censoring things, well, I'm sure they can do that on these boards if they really wanted to, see this thread, and the announcement that links to it...

[edit]

I've got some bored web space if anyone wants to make use of it.

'Vimacs' said:
You are so true about that, but sadly gp32x.de is in no state to be useful in the future.

mindlord said:

There's a problem with that: The PM Manager only allows you to receive and store 50 messages, including sent... maybe Hando has his PMM full and that's why he's not responding? Oh, no, because he's been logging in recently... in any case that method wouldn't work so well...

Let's flood his e-mail account instead! :p

I think this is a great move. I've been put off using this place lately because it just doesn't work, and I'm sure others have too. There are so many things that will happen in the next few months that will really need a good professional looking and properly run board. We don't have that here.

Just imagine if this place was still this broken when the Wiz and the Pandora start shipping. It would be ridiculous. I've been here since the gp32 days and think it's sad that the place has fallen into neglect, but it's clearly time to move on now that attempts at getting the place fixed have failed for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back