Short & Not So Sweet Review Of 2x On T3

A review written like the brainwashed ipod, PSP, mainstream crazed lemming that he is. "What? no propriatary battery to keep me buying replacements and making big corporations richer" "No WiFi? How kan you be "kewl" unless every single device that you own can go on the 'net no matter how impractical" "My wristwatch can go on the net with wifi dude" "No widescreen?!! the PSP has it so now EVERY device with a display NEEDS widescreen" "Why? I don't know Sony does it so it must be kewl right"

You know you are in trouble when the article starts off scolding you for "piracy" and the morals of "1ll3g4l r0mz" :rolleyes: Whatever, how lame.

I've never actually heard of T3, although from what I can tell it looks like a sheep magazine.

In the actual review they say that it's hard to find the programs and games, yet in the pro's they say it's easy to download the software. Again, in the review they say that the GP2X is wallet-friendly, yet in the cons they say it is expensive.

Judging from the style of the magazine, I guess it's a good thing they gave it a bad review. The sort of people that read it would probably struggle to put the SD card in the right way.

Excellent informative review.....ummm not

My only beef with the review, is that it seems he got an advanced copy of "Paycheck" before any of us could try it out..... ;-)

And the best homebrew game he/she tries out is one that hasn't been updated since Feb. of this year? Nice.

The reviewer is quite the lover of PSP and DS. Well, if they looked not so hard, they would find that the PSP and DS consoles are also capable of running emulators too.

The reviewer should do a little bit more homework when doing... ya know, a review. Or perhaps that was the best of there abilities to do a review.

While there is no doubt that the GP2X is a hobbiests toy and there is a little be more work involved then just sticking a cartridge in, it is also very customizable and very fun.

So after reading that review I guess I'll just tuck my tail between my legs and go be,as the review puts it, "a hardcore retro-monkey who clocks R-Type with one hand while sticking two fingers up at copyright law with the other".............. Its good to be the king...

Blades

DaveC posted on Sep 23 2006 at 07:05 PM said:
A review written like the brainwashed ipod, PSP, mainstream crazed lemming that he is. "What? no propriatary battery to keep me buying replacements and making big corporations richer" "No WiFi? How kan you be "kewl" unless every single device that you own can go on the 'net no matter how impractical" "My wristwatch can go on the net with wifi dude" "No widescreen?!! the PSP has it so now EVERY device with a display NEEDS widescreen" "Why? I don't know Sony does it so it must be kewl right"

You know you are in trouble when the article starts off scolding you for "piracy" and the morals of "1ll3g4l r0mz" :rolleyes: Whatever, how lame.

LOL

Im amazed they didnt mention Emulators, they would have probably said they are illegal also (wouldnt be the first time ive read that), noone seems to care that the psp does emulation and the legalities of that, i can smell their pheer of the gp2x a mile away >= )

Last edited by a moderator:
How can they compare a GP2X with a DS/PSP?
At some points, its easier to compare the gp2x to a PDA, because it's more than just a gaming handheld..

And I missed some really good points of the gp2x in the review:
1-Open Source
2-Video/MP3 playback (without extra crap)
3-Hardware

Whee, time to tear it apart piece by piece...

for all its charms, we doubt Nintendo and Sony are shaking in their boots, somehow.
You'd think so wouldn't you :)

unless you already own the original game in its native format (usually an arcade or console ROM cartridge), it’s illegal. You’re cool with that?
So what's new about the fact that you should own the games that you play?

bear in mind that many of them won’t work until you track down various other bits of code as well.
Oh-mein-God, you need emulators to play emulated games!

There are also some above-board ‘homebrew’ games out there. But with the best will in the world, the likes of Deathchase are not going to challenge the latest DS or PSP cart for excitement or state-of-the-art graphics.
Sweet, you compare homebrew, one-man-show games with multi-million dollar budget commercial games. Get those state of the art graphics, crumple them into a pointy cone, and stick them up your ass.

A handful of bespoke GP2X titles, such as the GTA-inspired Paycheck, are also available, pre-loaded onto an SD card for around £20. Again, they’re no match for the top-end titles available for Sony and Nintendo’s handhelds.
Once you pop, the fun don't stop!

The fact it runs off AA batteries feels very retro as well – and not in a charming way.
How about you back your fucking words and not just churn shit next time you type something?

s a video viewer and music player, it’s not bad, but its murky, non-widescreen images are not a patch on the PSP.
How about no re-encoding video, how about massive flexibility in all things media-playback? I guess you leave out plenty when you're set to trash something.

- Alex

BenScar posted on Sep 23 2006 at 11:33 AM said:
gamefan999 posted on Sep 23 2006 at 04:16 PM said:
It's obvious they are into BIG-BUCKS marketing with their sex-sells approach
OK then, who will pay me "BIG-BUCKS" to pose in my thong holding the my GP2x? :lol:
Well that all depends on how BIG your BUCK is.... :unsure:

Blades posted on Sep 23 2006 at 02:56 PM said:
The reviewer is quite the lover of PSP and DS. Well, if they looked not so hard, they would find that the PSP and DS consoles are also capable of running emulators too.
This is an excellent point that I thought about too. It seems that the ability to use emulators is ok as long as you dont talk about it. And having an awesome video player means nothing to this guy. He probably doesn't even know what XviD is, he never mentioned it. Or maybe that's one of those "bits of code" he so cryptically mentions :ph34r: ...

A poorly researched and extremely short sighted review - exactly what I expected from T3. It's very much a 'boys toys' magazine for the iPod crowd. We wouldn't want them buying a GP2X anyway - they'd only play it for a week until they get bored and move on to the next gadget. These are the kind of morons who buy sharkproof phones with a big number 5 'because that's the most common number'.

I've heard the GP2X screen (of all kinds) described as many things, but I've not seen it described as 'murky' before.

Perhaps he should take the bit of protective plastic off first?

A handful of bespoke GP2X titles, such as the GTA-inspired Paycheck, are also available, pre-loaded onto an SD card for around £20. Again, they’re no match for the top-end titles available for Sony and Nintendo’s handhelds.

Did anyone notice they are talking about a game they HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED YET?
How can you compare and rate a game without playing it?
I know quite a bunch of Sony and Nintendo games that are MUCH worse than Payback...
Oh, wait, they're talking about the top-end titles. What's a top-end anyway?

Huxley posted on Sep 23 2006 at 07:43 PM said:
These are the kind of morons who buy sharkproof phones with a big number 5 'because that's the most common number'.
?!? That's pretty funny, and I don't even know what the hell it means! lol

Truly you hit it with the "boy-toy Ipod crowd". Whan the GP2X starts shipping with a complimentary can of AXE©, then T3 will start giving it the r35p3c-|- it deserves.

(BTW wouldn't that be "toy-boy" instead? "Boy-toy" is already taken, and has quite a different meaning, heh.)

The GP2X is not a gaming device. It is a handheld Linux Device. Something that has never been done. Sure it can run Emulators but the big draw is a cheap and effective Multimedia Player. I have a PSP and the only movies I ever watch on it are the Family Guy UMDs and ATHF UMD I have (hey I love [adult swim] and Family Guy bite me). But I plan on using the GP2X to store about 5 or 6 hours worth of videos (no more then 700MB) and a handful of games I like and use it for entertainment on my plane rides.

And, since it uses "AA batteries" that are "retro but not in a good way" I dont have to worry about the it running out of fuel, as I can just bring with me a 16 pack of AAs on my carry on (is the FAA still freaking on that?) and no Im good to go. Instead of having to fork over for 2 extra PSP batteries and making sure they are charged.

thats a review?

did they even bother researching the machine.

Thats pitifull man. it really is!

Wait a minute...

You mean the Payback demo on teh GP2X cant be played? I though it was me driving around the car endleslly around the city, while moving the joystick around and pressing the buttons. So you tell me I have starred at arunning movies for hours? No wonder I felt the game wasnt responsive and boring

AHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAH! Yah they probably didnt do any research if not they would have know only Vektar is playable and pretty fun too ;-), I show it to 2 other friends and find it quite cool little games ;-).

subcon959 posted on Sep 24 2006 at 04:58 PM said:
Nothing in that article makes me think they even had a GP2x to review.

I agree; otherwise they'd at least have bitched about the crappy joystick and the horrible battery life...

Back