Shipping On The 4Th?

benji_stein said:
Pleng said:
craigix said:
That about sums up the shitty way they do business. Dishonest and lazy.

It is why I won't ever use a Chinese company again

Which leads us to ask why you went with a Chinese company in the first place? Luckily Monk is much better at finding quotes than me, and I'm sure he's already busy beavering away looking for the multiple times that you said using a Chinese company was your only option, and producing elsewhere would have resulted in a much higher individual unit cost.

Not only that, but initially they said they would definitely *not* be using Chinese companies for parts of the manufacturing process, because of fear of quality, delays, and other such concerns. So clearly there was previous knowlege of potential issues. Perhaps not the scale of them, but there was reason to be wary. OPT went with China, anyway, and now they Craig says he has no idea it might have been like this?

We said from the very beginning that this is the case for the ELECTRONICS part (i.e. board population, etc.).
And that's still the case.

Last edited:
Pleng said:
craigix said:

It is why I won't ever use a Chinese company again

Which leads us to ask why you went with a Chinese company in the first place? Luckily Monk is much better at finding quotes than me, and I'm sure he's already busy beavering away looking for the multiple times that you said using a Chinese company was your only option, and producing elsewhere would have resulted in a much higher individual unit cost. Which makes me wonder about a later quote in the above quoted post:

I'll be proud to put 'Not made in China' on the Pandora, and to support local business - and the price of the Pandora won't change a great deal.

Because I wanted to find out the reality for myself. That's just how I like to do things.

Pleng said:
(that and reading up on how they treat their workers).

All of a sudden you're claiming moral high ground. Poor innocent little Craig had no idea how the poor workers were being treated in Chinese factories. It came as such a shock to you when you finally did find out you were so shocked that you were left with no option but to find an alternative way of manufacturing the cases.

Oh what a great ambassador for human rights you are Craig. The world needs more people like you. Perhaps you should consider becoming the official face for Amnesty International.

Just in case you didn't get the sarcasm:

You are a hypocritical, lying schmuk who knew exactly what goes on in Chinese factories but picked one anyway purely on cost reasons. Now that you have been messed around by these people one too any times you are trying to gain brownie points with your supporters by all of a sudden claiming you can't condone the human rights infringements which may or may not be going on in the factory that you have chosen.

Even for you, Craig, this is a new low

No, we didn't know how this factory treated people, or how they would treat us. Now we know. Now I'm taking the business away from them.

Simple isn't it? No need for your rambling insults really, but live and let live.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
No, we didn't know how this factory treated people, or how they would treat us. Now we know. Now I'm taking the business away from them.

Simple isn't it? No need for your rambling insults really, but live and let live.
To have a little bit of revenge, you should warn everyone and stop making business with this Company. Nobody should choose this chinese Factory any more. ;) I bet this is an easy task in the modern times of the Internet. ^^

Pleng said:
Which leads us to ask why you went with a Chinese company in the first place? Luckily Monk is much better at finding quotes than me, and I'm sure he's already busy beavering away looking for the multiple times that you said using a Chinese company was your only option, and producing elsewhere would have resulted in a much higher individual unit cost. Which makes me wonder about a later quote in the above quoted post:

Fatih worked together with that company for years and never had any problems.
However, he never had such a complicated project so far.

Creating the mould elsewhere would not have worked out unless people wanted to pay about 400 - 500 USD per Pandora (yep, the price for the mould outside of china is WAY higher).
Mould Injection itself (when you have the mould already) can also be done elsewhere - and this is what we're currently looking for for the next batch.

Last edited:
fusion_power said:
craigix said:

To have a little bit of revenge, you should warn everyone and stop making business with this Company. Nobody should choose this chinese Factory any more. ;) I bet this is an easy task in the modern times of the Internet. ^^

It and other companies/people will go in to the Pandora story which I'm keeping currently as a diary. I don't want to say anything until we are shipping and have the final outcomes of various situations.

If you publish it, it should include all of the negative/vapourware rants in a perforated 'tear off and wipe' section

craigix said:

Yea well done for completely ignoring the criticisms leveled at you in your reply. You're pretty good at that.

The issues surrounding workplace ethics in China are well documented and there's no way you went into this contract with any reasonable belief that the workers in this factory were treated in a well/humane mannor.

Don't try and make yourself sound like an ambassador for the human rights movement when talking about your decision to move production away from China. The only reason, which is a perfectly valid reason, for you deciding to move production away is the poor service you have received. There was absolutely no reason for you to bring human resource ethics into this and try and score a few points by coming across as somebody who genuinely cares in situations where you really don't give a damn.

craigix said:

It is why I won't ever use a Chinese company again (that and reading up on how they treat their workers).

You hold people's money for over 18 months with one false promise after another. You are in a very bad position to criticize business practices of others.

I honestly can't say I'm surprised. Good luck getting the cases shipped. Hope you can kick them in the ass enough to get them this week.

I was pretty close to ordering the other day when I emailed in. Think I'll wait until the 4th or 5th batch though. Don't think I can risk it as I'm moving to Toronto from London in July though.

*sigh* guess I'll check back in then.

Pleng said:
craigix said:

Yea well done for completely ignoring the criticisms leveled at you in your reply. You're pretty good at that.

The issues surrounding workplace ethics in China are well documented and there's no way you went into this contract with any reasonable belief that the workers in this factory were treated in a well/humane mannor.

Don't try and make yourself sound like an ambassador for the human rights movement when talking about your decision to move production away from China. The only reason, which is a perfectly valid reason, for you deciding to move production away is the poor service you have received. There was absolutely no reason for you to bring human resource ethics into this and try and score a few points by coming across as somebody who genuinely cares in situations where you really don't give a damn.

Yeah yeah yeah. I even put it in brackets, however, if you grab a copy of yesterdays Daily Mail (probably online) you will see what I had been reading and what actually made me make that comment.

Whatever though, flame away until you are happy. I've got real work to do.

aq21 said:
craigix said:

It is why I won't ever use a Chinese company again (that and reading up on how they treat their workers).

You hold people's money for over 18 months with one false promise after another. You are in a very bad position to criticize business practices of others.

Apart from the people waiting can have a refund at any time? They are waiting because they are part of the Pandora project and want to see it succeed.

Dare I say, unlike you?

aq21 said:
craigix said:

Yeah but if China would have kept their promise than the pandora would have been made already. Also, Craig isn't psychic, how would he know when the cases would be shipped all these 18 months? He has been letting us know what the Chinese have been telling him, so it isn't the OpenPandora's fault at all. Enless you want to get angry at Openpandora for not being psychic but that would be silly.

frostedfires said:
aq21 said:
craigix said:

Yeah but if China would have kept their promise than the pandora would have been made already. Also, Craig isn't psychic, how would he know when the cases would be shipped all these 18 months? He has been letting us know what the Chinese have been telling him, so it isn't the OpenPandora's fault at all. Enless you want to get angry at Openpandora for not being psychic but that would be silly.

You should remember that you only read one side of the story. I am sure the factory has a different story, where all the fault lies with OPT.

And anyway, the boards are not ready yet and the construction process is only a speculation, so even if the cases miraculously materialised right now, we would still have a long wait ahead.

craigix said:
aq21 said:
craigix said:

Apart from the people waiting can have a refund at any time?

So if the factory told you that you could have a refund at any time, it would somehow make all the delays acceptable?

I have to say though I *am* disappointed in craigix - I mean he reads the Daily Mail ???, wtf? not cool, not cool at all :p

This was never going to be easy, I say just hang in there and grind out the result.

Pleng said:
craigix said:

I didn't read Craig's post as him trying to be an ambassador for human rights, I get the feeling that you perceived the post the way you wanted to. I do enjoy your completely nonsensical arguments though, they always serve to brighten my day.

If Craig published the diary into a retail book I would buy it. Especially if he embellishes the truth a little. Add a vampire or a werewolf. Or add a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. Or Craig could conveniently change his surname to Bond and write about times of international espionage while creating the Pandora hand-held computer.

Pleng said:
craigix said:
aq21 said:
craigix said:

Apart from the people waiting can have a refund at any time?

So if the factory told you that you could have a refund at any time, it would somehow make all the delays acceptable?

If we wanted to drop the whole project, yes, but we don't.

I've got like 10mins while Ed does some server stuff to answer any more of your trolling if you like, if it makes you feel good?

I read craigix's post about switching factories due to human rights violations more as a "then we won't get flamed for using suppliers with poor working conditions." I remember reading a thread like that about two months ago.

Back