SHARK Tank with the Openpandora

If you say it like that it doesn't sound nice. ED makes so much profit he can give devices away: for FREE :)

Also I think he's super nice, would you do the same if you would be in his position? I would like to, but I'm not sure if I could handle all the stuff that he has to do.

And ED worked with investors, but I'm not sure what the Sharks would demand (do they buy your business?).
Shleedragon is exactly right about how the Sharks would react. They would rip him apart. And probably in the exact same wording as Shleedragon posted.

Problem is that even if you get aired you have zero control over the editing. So even if he did get to tell the whole story it might be just all cut and only the bit where they ridicule him would be left in for entertainment value. 

I think that if he does something like this Dragon's Den would be his better bet. The Dragons and the editing are just that tad bit more friendly then the Shark's tank one and they give the ideas a bit more airtime. Don't see them going for it either as the product is simply too niche and there is no big payoff for them but a rejection with kudos given for his integrity, resilience and capacity to work hard and push through adversity might give a lot of positive press and pull in some new buyers.

I like both shows by the way and it's interesting to see the difference in approach between the Dragons and the Sharks. Both give great insight in what investors want.

Canadian Dragon's Den is best Dragon's Den. But I don't think any of the Dragons/Sharks would be too interested. They don't usually take too fondly to things that don't sell a lot and have problems like the Pandora, it's more of a niche thing so they'd say it's a good small business but not a great investment. Plus, it's not money that ED needs so bad (although that'd be nice), it's sales more than anything. Money, though, would go a long way towards a possible Pandora 2. I don't know of any Dragons/Sharks that have much knowledge/connections towards video game consoles, but a sizable investment could tip the balance and make Pandora 2 a more mainstream console to compete with things like 3DS/Vita. But, other than the potential profits, is that a good thing for Pandora?

All I can say is that I don't see how appearing on a show such as this could hurt anything Pandora wise. But apparently many people seem to say ED is wealthy and does not need the money. Must be nice  ^_^

If that is the case then i think me  starting this thread was a pointless endeavor.

All I can say is that I don't see how appearing on a show such as this could hurt anything Pandora wise. But apparently many people seem to say ED is wealthy and does not need the money. Must be nice  ^_^

If that is the case then i think me  starting this thread was a pointless endeavor.
You could take it on yourself and see if those Sharks like the idea and the product then Ed will charm in  :D .  It's called community service  :D

Last edited by a moderator:

You could take it on yourself and see if those Sharks like the idea and the product then Ed will charm in  :D .  It's called community service  :D
Well the least that could be done would be to have a brief post from ED for some incentive/motivation. He has not even responded to this thread positively or negatively. So I assume he is not interested. 

Whatever ...I am over it.  no worries.

It was just an idea.

Last edited:
Ethics. Its what drove to buy one. And the fact no n-hexane was used, and not build in a sweatshop, by children; and the fact I own the thing, no unlocking (even having NORMAL screws to open and have a looksie). And extra lights/power, to hack it. The mentality of ED is spot on and complements those principles I seek in a product.

Sharks would transform the brand into something foul. If you have a big glass of crystal clear, clean water, and you put in a tiny drop of diarrhea, would you drink it?

The main thing here, IMO, is that the Pandora (or its successor) does not need mass-market publicity.

Most people won't buy it. Most people don't understand about free software, don't care about old games and couldn't follow a Hello World tutorial if their life depended upon it.

The Pandora dream only appeals to the nerdiest of nerds, and that is the only group on whom marketing will have a significant effect.

Well the least that could be done would be to have a brief post from ED for some incentive/motivation. He has not even responded to this thread positively or negatively. So I assume he is not interested.
I'm absolutely 100% certain that ED gave your proposal all the attention it deserved.

D.

I'm absolutely 100% certain that ED gave your proposal all the attention it deserved.

D.
@ZXDunny...ok sir I get the message that it was an asinine idea and this thread should be closed already. :unsure:

Last edited:
Well, read it in context: you think that ED should have demonstrated attention by replying in this thread. ZXD is implying that by not doing that, ED is giving as much attention as the proposal deserves. You do the maths.

While I might not be as frank in my wording as Mssr. Dunny, I in principle agree. The thing is, the people on Shark Tank don't give money away freely. They are investors that want to see a certain return on their investment. That means massmarket appeal, focus-group testing, cutting of corners and so on. Craig spoke about his experiences back in -08 of going around to "proper" venture capitalists and investors to get funding for a follow-up to the gp2x, and the result was "OK, but you need to scrap the keyboard and the gaming controls - The future is in touch screens, youknow! And this linux thing is for hippies. And we need a proper structure for DRM, and no-one will need SD storage anyway - Let them do with what is on the device!" and so on. Now, I know that the fashionable thing on the boards these days is to not believe anything Craig has ever said, but still - I have no trouble believing this. And I cannot see a very different scenario today, although today they'd probably demand Android out of the box instead of Windows Mobile. 

As for the "Any publicity is good publicity" thinking - Well, you have to remember that this is in the "Reality TV" segment. Or, as we call it here, Humiliation TV. These programs (Big Brother, Idol, Robinson, Paradise Hotel, whatever) is pretending to be some sort of competition, but that is not really the draw, is it? The draw is for people to sit in front of the telly, laugh at the characters, celebrate when the "shmucks" are voted out or kicked off or whatever it is. The whole dramaturgy is set up for that (as is the tabloid industry that goes with it). I can't really see that as a worthwhile environment to be a part of, unless ED really wants a career on the tabloid screamsheets :)

Well, read it in context: you think that ED should have demonstrated attention by replying in this thread. ZXD is implying that by not doing that, ED is giving as much attention as the proposal deserves. You do the maths.

While I might not be as frank in my wording as Mssr. Dunny, I in principle agree. The thing is, the people on Shark Tank don't give money away freely. They are investors that want to see a certain return on their investment. That means massmarket appeal, focus-group testing, cutting of corners and so on. Craig spoke about his experiences back in -08 of going around to "proper" venture capitalists and investors to get funding for a follow-up to the gp2x, and the result was "OK, but you need to scrap the keyboard and the gaming controls - The future is in touch screens, youknow! And this linux thing is for hippies. And we need a proper structure for DRM, and no-one will need SD storage anyway - Let them do with what is on the device!" and so on. Now, I know that the fashionable thing on the boards these days is to not believe anything Craig has ever said, but still - I have no trouble believing this. And I cannot see a very different scenario today, although today they'd probably demand Android out of the box instead of Windows Mobile. 

As for the "Any publicity is good publicity" thinking - Well, you have to remember that this is in the "Reality TV" segment. Or, as we call it here, Humiliation TV. These programs (Big Brother, Idol, Robinson, Paradise Hotel, whatever) is pretending to be some sort of competition, but that is not really the draw, is it? The draw is for people to sit in front of the telly, laugh at the characters, celebrate when the "shmucks" are voted out or kicked off or whatever it is. The whole dramaturgy is set up for that (as is the tabloid industry that goes with it). I can't really see that as a worthwhile environment to be a part of, unless ED really wants a career on the tabloid screamsheets :)
Here we go again..

Shemnue suggested that I take this quest upon myself. I said I would not do so unless I had some feedback from ED either way. That would be incentive. I did not say ED should have demonstrated attention as you suggest. I typed..the least he could have done was respond if he was interested,,,and I conceded that apparently he is not.. Now I get all this.

Please read carefully before you comment.

Last edited:
Uhm...Yes, read carefully what you comment. You asked how much attention ZX Dunny thought ED should have given the idea. I explained ZX Dunnys post to you. 

Then again, I see you are off retconning again. When I wrote my answer, this:

[...lots of other stuff...]

D.
@ZXDunny...ok sir I get the message that it was an asinine idea and this thread should be closed already. :unsure:
...looked something like this:

D.
...and how much attention do you think the idea deserved, then?
Or something like that - I can't be sure of the exact quote. I didn't save it, because I do not expect people to go around changing their posts after they've been replied to. Particularly not to something that makes the reply look like something else entirely. Oh well.

Scuba gear and shark tank rentals are expensive, plus you will need to water proof a Pandora and then the hard part convince ED to jump in the water.

Uhm...Yes, read carefully what you comment. You asked how much attention ZX Dunny thought ED should have given the idea. I explained ZX Dunnys post to you. 

Then again, I see you are off retconning again. When I wrote my answer, this:

D.
...looked something like this:

D.
...and how much attention do you think the idea deserved, then?
Or something like that - I can't be sure of the exact quote. I didn't save it, because I do not expect people to go around changing their posts after they've been replied to. Particularly not to something that makes the reply look like something else entirely. Oh well.
Well isn't that the reason we have the luxury to change posts? I changed the post because I did not want an answer and admitted what a bad idea this seems to be. What is wrong with that??? He never replied to the question BTW.

and....you still misinterpreted what I typed and will not address that. Instead you try to disregard that issue and focus on me changing a post.

I did not say ED should have demonstrated attention as you imply. If you read what was said [and these portions with Shemnue never changed btw] you will see once again see how you have taken what I said out of context and try to devise ways to win a debate you started.

I am in no way attempting to start any debate. I'm out.

Come on CoCoCreekFisherman.  Relax!  You have good intention, but truth is Ed's too busy and he could not read everything that's posted.  As you can see, I also posted some out-of-this-world ideas on P2 and people kicked me in the butt left and right for the unrealistic dream.  I felt bad sometimes but this community tells it for what it is -- THE TRUTH and you know the truth hurts :D .  I feel bad sometimes and told myself I'm not going to get back to this community anymore.  But I miss it after 30 minutes of not logging in! Really!    So my advise to you is log out for 30 min and you will miss this community again :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back