Sega Dreamcast Emulator

If one actually reads the thread in the beta forums, you'll notice that it is so far quite too slow to be really useful. It might get a lot better - Then again, it might not. It would be a seriously bad idea to upload to repo/dl/apps before it is at least somewhat up to speed.

Patience -- people do this in their free time, and it is hard work. Don't be pushy or demand anything.

jeff
Well i'm not being pushy about it.

It's been a long time for dev to be silent for that long,so if you don't give info in a long time,it usually means,it's not going to happen,do you know anything about how to make dc emulator,if you do,you can help in the nulldc project.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that bringing up what happened to the Dreamcast emu is a good idea, but the way you worded the post made you seem kinda pushy.

That being said, what did happen to that Dreamcast emu? Interest sparked when we saw a port to the Beagleboard a few years back:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0gYfwtj7Mok?feature=oembed

Although I'm curious what exactly happened there, I'm not pushing anyone to get this thing out. The Dev's have already been very generous to us.

(That doesn't mean I wouldn't appreciate it if such a thing was released though. :) )

Oh yeah dreamcast games running on pandora.

Looking at ferrari f355 challenge,shenmue and virtua stryker 2 are amazing games.

Dreamcast was running fast which is good thing,i don't why the dev didn't bother,this emulator can be very interesting and very important project for pandora.

Dreamcast was running fast which is good thing,i don't why the dev didn't bother,this emulator can be very interesting and very important project for pandora.
this is very much a misinterpretation of the situation drk||Raziel was both waiting for a pandora but also took some time out anyway. the project isnt dead at all. the pandora isnt the primary target for the emulator and ports and improvements for other systems have been focused on in the mean time. as you can see here he has been working on getting it on to android.

be patient and give it all time. its not at all forgotten, but we have to expect that other more mainstream ports are likely to be a much higher priority!

this is very much a misinterpretation of the situation drk||Raziel was both waiting for a pandora but also took some time out anyway. the project isnt dead at all. the pandora isnt the primary target for the emulator and ports and improvements for other systems have been focused on in the mean time. as you can see here he has been working on getting it on to android.

be patient and give it all time. its not at all forgotten, but we have to expect that other more mainstream ports are likely to be a much higher priority!

Did he order a Pandora, or is he expecting a dev unit?

hmm according to this post on gp32x he has his pandora. i can only presume it is a WIP but that he has more pressing things he wants to achieve. either way, it doesnt look like it has been abandoned by any means

hmm according to this post on gp32x he has his pandora. i can only presume it is a WIP but that he has more pressing things he wants to achieve. either way, it doesnt look like it has been abandoned by any means

Thanks for digging that up. I'm looking forward to it just because it means nullDC code exists for ARM7. If/when Vita is jailbroken, porting things like Ari64 and his work over should prove mutually beneficial for both platforms. The Vita will get the attention of a lot of high profile developers which should be a thriving community and I would imagine most can be ported to the OMAP with not too much headache, plus the existing work gives the Vita crowd a good head-start.

Since there is wuite a lot of interest in this emulator, maybe ED could approach the dev again about this? There still is the dev-fond, I guess once production is rolling there will also be the possability to offer money for certain projects. Since a Dreamcast emulator running at full speed might be a good selling point as well, this would probably make sense. But as others said already: have some patience! Even if somebody does it, it will take a long time to get there.

Well it couldn't get anywhere close to full speed where it mattered (like, in game in Crazy Taxi or DoA2) on a Galaxy S which is decently more powerful than a Pandora.. so it was obviously in no position for fullspeed DC emulation on Pandora..

So this is really a hardware issue, not lack of optimization or the OS holding back resources? Too bad ...

I won't say the hardware can't right of that bat, it just takes a highly skilled person to do any type of good optimization work. Finding a person like that is rare.

I don't believe this no dreamcast emulator on pandora,talking about phone with no gaming controls,no keyboard,just touch screen sucks big time there is no point of powerful hardware if it doesn't have basic stuff first.

I do remember when evildragon made a video saying the pandora is the smallest laptop ever and also didn't believe that dreamcast isn't powerful to develope for pandora.

I thought pandora can emulate the following 3do,jaguar,dreamcast,sega model 2,so still haven't got a system can emulate these system.

3ds hasn't still has got any emulators running just ds mode,we still don't for certain if the vita can be hacked to play emulators only time will tell.

Well it couldn't get anywhere close to full speed where it mattered (like, in game in Crazy Taxi or DoA2) on a Galaxy S which is decently more powerful than a Pandora.. so it was obviously in no position for fullspeed DC emulation on Pandora..

Dont want to crush anybodys dream, but I agree with exophase, I think developers should concentrate on projects and emulators that can work at full speed on Pandora, whats the point in playing the games at 15 fps, it is totally unplayable, I would much rather see the efort put into making the N64 emulator better, or having Killer Instinct arcade on Pandora, emulators that have a chance to work great. :)

Back