Sdhc Card Prices Plummetting

Kyosys said:
cherrycyanide said:
craigix said:
I guess I never got in to the massive PSX rip scene.

I suppose we will all need two 256GB cards then afterall? :)
Thats more storage than my computer :(

Ha! It's half the storage of my computer!

My first HD for my Amiga was 32MB! in 1990 And that was the size of a brick!
My first HD for my PC was 2GB in 1996! Todayl I only have a 120GB in my PC and a 320GB in my PS3 lol

Last edited by a moderator:
My VIC-20 didn't have an HD. It only had 5KB, but I never ran out of memory. I wouldn't spend more than four hours on any one programming project. I was so sad when I got the red screen of death. (Seriously, it red screened when it died.)

Anyway, I have a 8GB card unused from last year that'll have to do until Thanksgiving. On Black Friday, I want a really good deal on a 16+GB SDHC card and a 1TB external hard drive.

My first desktop had 500 MB of storage - it ran DOS + Windows 3.1, WordPerfect Office, games, and more. It's like Kyosys said, people find ways to fill up whatever space they are given. I just bought a 750 USB drive from my laptop last month, and it's somehow already over half full.

Two 32 GB cards would be plenty for me, though, for a portable system. That's every game for every system before 1990 and over 40 GB left for newer systems, native games, apps, media, and more.

craigix said:
There is supposed to be at least one manufacturer launching 64GB cards before Christmas. Imagine having two of those bastards!
That was my thought, that they are going to start releasing 64GB. But like how 32 is really expensive like how it was with 16 a while back, then 64 are going to be slower, and more expensive :(
But I would be content with just a 16GB for a while(my laptop only has 6 unfortunately)

i really wouldn't mind a few extra mm on a extra-length SDHC butting out the back of my Pandora for a 80 or 96GB card to become possible...

CC_machine said:
i really wouldn't mind a few extra mm on a extra-length SDHC butting out the back of my Pandora for a 80 or 96GB card to become possible...
doesn't work like that dude :p

CC machine, you should add Duke Nukem Forever to your sig. :)
Oh, and my friend had a 32gb SD card last I saw him. It really makes you think about how far we've come with technology when you actually use it.

Kloplop321 said:
That was my thought, that they are going to start releasing 64GB. But like how 32 is really expensive like how it was with 16 a while back, then 64 are going to be slower, and more expensive :(
But I would be content with just a 16GB for a while(my laptop only has 6 unfortunately)
Why will 64GB be more slower? It will still be nand flash, so should still be the same speed?

Them SanDisk cards are still quite dear compared to others. I went with a card made by bmcdigital and it was waaaaay cheaper than SanDisk. Think your just paying for the name with them. I'd soon fill a 128gb card. you can never have to many games, lol :)

10 hours of video/regular games, 100 hours of MP3s. Linux with 500 MHZ [900 overcloked] a GPU and enough storage space to have a portable PC the size of a nintendo DS? Not to mention the support for tonsof stuff.

Squidge said:
Kloplop321 said:
Why will 64GB be more slower? It will still be nand flash, so should still be the same speed?

Well I mean like how most (good priced) cards of 16GB are class 6 compared to 32GB class 4

Kloplop321 said:
Well I mean like how most (good priced) cards of 16GB are class 6 compared to 32GB class 4
I said this in another thread, but I feel I should say it here again for anyone who missed it: 16 GB SDHC cards are unstable at the current time at Class 6 speeds. You'll find a lot of cheap cards at Class 6 that'll last perhaps a month, or two if you're lucky. If you want anything that'll last more like, say, a hard drive...go with Class 4.

(not that there aren't exceptions; this is the general rule)

ShyGuy said:
Kloplop321 said:
I said this in another thread, but I feel I should say it here again for anyone who missed it: 16 GB SDHC cards are unstable at the current time at Class 6 speeds. You'll find a lot of cheap cards at Class 6 that'll last perhaps a month, or two if you're lucky. If you want anything that'll last more like, say, a hard drive...go with Class 4.Wait, what? Where are you getting your information? I've never heard a thing about this, and there would be public outcries if this were true.

Mostly hearsay, reviews etc. Here's a kind of scary review page for Transcend 16GB Class 6 cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRevie...rds=&Page=1

Granted the majority are glowing 5-stars, but a large number of them talk about their cards dying after only a few weeks/months of use. As someone planning to use his cards similarly to a hard drive, I'll place my bets with class 4 cards for now.

Don't need blazing write speed for most things anyway.

ShyGuy said:
Mostly hearsay, reviews etc. Here's a kind of scary review page for Transcend 16GB Class 6 cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRevie...rds=&Page=1

Granted the majority are glowing 5-stars, but a large number of them talk about their cards dying after only a few weeks/months of use. As someone planning to use his cards similarly to a hard drive, I'll place my bets with class 4 cards for now.

Don't need blazing write speed for most things anyway.

I really doubt that if I buy a Class 6 from one of the top-tier companies like Panasonic, that it would be unstable.

-God Ginrai

My sentiments exactly, Ginrai. You can't just make a wide assumption about an entire class of SDHC cards due to a couple of reviews on Newegg. There'd be far more outcry if even a slight majority of class 6 cards were malfunctioning.

CronoTriggerfan said:
My sentiments exactly, Ginrai. You can't just make a wide assumption about an entire class of SDHC cards due to a couple of reviews on Newegg. There'd be far more outcry if even a slight majority of class 6 cards were malfunctioning.
I have the feeling that if a majority of cards were malfunctioning, outcry would be the least of their worries. Violent rebellion sounds more like it. I think with any form of flash, user reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. It's impossible to know how the cards were handled prior to the malfunction, and flash is susceptible to damage caused by things the user might not notice, like static electricity or removal of the card without unmounting the drive within the OS.

Yup so the 64Gbs will be expensive and class 4 to begin with (probably)

But we don't praise the 64Gbs simply their existence, we praise them for driving down the price of 32Gb cards! Just as we will praise the 128Gb cards for making the 64s more affordable!

Back