Sdhc Card Prices Plummetting

anexanhume said:
Newegg just starts selling 32gb sdhc and now we're talking about 64? My how fast it goes.
And what will we be talking of this time next year? 128Gb cards? 256 maybe? A potential maximum storage capacity for 512Gb? That's nearly as much as I have in my desktop computer now!

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
There is supposed to be at least one manufacturer launching 64GB cards before Christmas. Imagine having two of those bastards!
The SDHC standard currently only goes up to 32Gb though, doesn't it? I assume that it'd be a mere firmware update to get the Pandora to play ball with newer capacities, though, right?

The prices at Newegg look great, but they won't ship oversea. Does anyone know any other e-shop with similar prices on SDHC cards that does ship internationally? The local prices of larger SDHC cards are sometimes twice as big..
And no, Dealextreme is not the solution here :)

DrDerekDoctors said:
The SDHC standard currently only goes up to 32Gb though, doesn't it? I assume that it'd be a mere firmware update to get the Pandora to play ball with newer capacities, though, right?
The 32GB limit is specified on paper but the protocol is good for up to 2TB. So while larger cards wouldn't adhere to the standard, they should theoretically still work. Whether this requires anything special with regard to hardware, and whether the Pandora specifically supports this, I don't know.

Don't buy from the Amazon shops. Sandisk cards are regularly pirated. They've gotten so good, people often only find out when they send their cards to Sandisk for warranty replacement.

To be sure you're not getting a pirated card, buy from a genuine distributor like newegg, buy.com (directly - not the shops) or amazon (directly - not the shops).

Also - the price above for the gb is not a good deal. As already pointed out, you have to factor in shipping - plus you're not assured it's a genuine sandisk. You can buy 2gb cards from other retailers with free shipping.

I just bought a 2gb adata class 6 microsd from meritline for $6 including shipping. Microsd is usually twice as expensive as sd.

In short, shop around - but from a legit distributor, and make sure to factor in shipping costs.

I had an e-mail from memorybits.co.uk yesterday and they have a sale on until midnight tonight, 15% off EVERYTHING!!!!

I got myself a 16gb Integral SDHC class 4 for £28.88. Their cards are branded and boxed with 5 year guarantee. I already had an 8gb Integral and it's been great for several months.....no probs.

They deliver free too so go and have a look at the website, not the SD section thats empty, 'HC cards' is what you're looking for.

Please note you have to enter the code 4815 in the promotional box when ordering to get the discount.....

Nick

You're right Chad, I didn't think of the shipping, and so nasty that it's not shared... I still think the day will come (and soon) when 2GB Sandisks available at liquidation stores will cost about as much as a bag of chips, which will make them an absolutely terrific deal for a lot of people :)

I suppose, but I'd take a 16 GB card for $40 over 8 2GB cards for even $8 any day.

Though I doubt 2GB cards will ever cost $1 :p

If indeed this time next year we are looking at 256GB cards I can't imagine how you could fill those up unless you carried a massive movie collection with you everywhere you went.

'Have you seen...'

'Yes, well actually I have it with me on this tiny SD card... along with 300 other movies.'

craigix said:
If indeed this time next year we are looking at 256GB cards I can't imagine how you could fill those up unless you carried a massive movie collection with you everywhere you went.

'Have you seen...'

'Yes, well actually I have it with me on this tiny SD card... along with 300 other movies.'
Well you could have a complete Wikipedia with images for a start! (120GB)

Then maybe 60GB for your music collection, and 40-60GB for large rom collections.

You could probably fill another 256GB card with PSX games alone!

would that all have have to be under a new SD3.00 spec? I understand it is limited to 32 gb right now.

Tozarian said:
would that all have have to be under a new SD3.00 spec? I understand it is limited to 32 gb right now.
It's specified for 32GB, not limited.

The old spec had the card size in bytes as a 32 bit number, so that limited it to 4294967295 bytes.
The SDHC spec has the card size as a number of 512 byte blocks (still using a 32-bit number, hence the ease of converting SD code to run on SDHC cards), so it's limited to 512 times bigger than that - 2199023255040 bytes (theoretically).

4GB * 512 = 2048GB, or 2TB.

Oh craig, you are so naive

Build a bigger bridge, and people will build bigger cars

or something like that

Man, a 64 gig card would hold more than my computer's hard drive. :(

If I ever get a huge card, I guess my 16 gig will go in my camera or GP2X. :p

craigix said:

'Have you seen...'

It's something of a (rather sad, perhaps) dream of mine to be able to carry around my entire collection of Family Guy, SouthPark etc plus all my films around with me. While it's possible now (albeit needing 10 to carry around 10 or so cards with me!), with the inevitable trend of SD cards getting lower and lower in price, plus higher and higher in capacity (and used in more and more devices) this dream will actually be an affordable reality within a couple of years.

When people are bitchin massive out their band new 'super-impressive' i-Phone 3's with, what (let's guess) 64Gb storage. I'll just pull out my two-year old Pandy and collection of SD cards (I guess by that point I'll have a couple of 16s maybe a 64 or 2 and a couple of 256s!) Have it!!

cherrycyanide said:
craigix said:
I guess I never got in to the massive PSX rip scene.

I suppose we will all need two 256GB cards then afterall? :)
Thats more storage than my computer :(

Ha! It's half the storage of my computer!

Back