Sd Problem

DTH

A guy I know just recently bought a GP2x mk2 firm: 2.1.0.
But it doesnt read any SD cards, nomatter wich brand (Sandisc 2GB, Kingston 1GB, Memory2Go 2GB, Tohiba 16MB, Panasonic 32MB). The 2x will freeze when a SD card is put in and when there is nothing in it will work perfectly, like games on the NAND.
He thought downgrade might solve the problem, but since SD cards won't work. Is there a way of downgrading it through the NAND? Or do you guys have another solution.

Well i just received my GPX2, same firmware and version and its not reading my SD card either....
The SD card is detected by Windows XP and formatted in fat32.

A frustrating challenge indeed.

Try booting up the GP2x and *then* inserting the SD card. This might fix it temporarily...

Let's not confuse this problem with the bad USB cables (most, not all) shipped with the GP2X. If your GP2X can't read the SD card already formatted with windows without the USB cable issue then I would suspect the hardware. Of course this is an off the cuff assessment and so it might be full of holes.

It is my understanding that he should be able to update to 2.0.0 even with the bad ICON's if he puts the 2.0.0 files on a blank SD and boot with the START+SELECT buttons pressed.

Just wanted to report that my problem was down to a dodgy el-cheapo SD card and not the fault of the GP2X.
Noticed that the gold coloured connectors on the card were irregular in length.

noobinator5000 posted on Dec 3 2006 at 01:47 PM said:
Just wanted to report that my problem was down to a dodgy el-cheapo SD card and not the fault of the GP2X.
Noticed that the gold coloured connectors on the card were irregular in length.

I had one like that (16mb which was alot at the time) now i get all mine from the same ebay dealer havent had a problem yet even though there all refubished (and no cases)

Last edited by a moderator:
A guy I know just recently bought a GP2x mk2 firm: 2.1.0.
But it doesnt read any SD cards, nomatter wich brand (Sandisc 2GB, Kingston 1GB, Memory2Go 2GB, Tohiba 16MB, Panasonic 32MB). The 2x will freeze when a SD card is put in and when there is nothing in it will work perfectly, like games on the NAND.
He thought downgrade might solve the problem, but since SD cards won't work. Is there a way of downgrading it through the NAND? Or do you guys have another solution.

Sorry for bumping an oldish thread..

Has your friend resolved this? I am having exactly this problem. I only have 2 SD cards to try-- the Kingmax one I got with the unit (from Play-Asia), and an old cheapo 64mb one, but both freeze the unit. I have tried formatting from a memory card reader, etc, to no avail, as yet. I have ordered a Kingston card, in the hope that I will have more luck. crossed fingers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm bumping this again with a small update--

have now tried:

2gb Kingmax
64mb Traveler
1gb Traveler
512mb Unbranded
2gb Kingston

all lock up my GP2X as soon as they are inserted.

Any final suggestions before I send the unit back to Play-asia?

At least when I finally get the unit back I'll have plenty of memory cards!

Back