Sd Cards - Deifintive Advice Please :-p

cHEM posted on Dec 20 2006 at 12:15 PM said:
piphil posted on Dec 20 2006 at 09:32 AM said:
I have indeed spoken to someone at GP2X.co.uk. They say the cards they use are "Integral" SD Cards (which, conveniently, seem to be twice the price of the Kingstons...), and each GP2X is tested with an integral card before shipping. I'm waiting for someone from the "orders" part of the site to get back to me - I got this info from the "sales" email address, though apparently "orders" is the place to go for tech support. :p

I was suprised how quick they got back to me though - I emailed at about 7 pm last night and they got back to me within half an hour. Someone's working late!

And as for your extra SD cards - eBay them! :p

maybe some kind soul out there would be willing to mail one of us a known working SD Card to try in our GP2X..? obviously, we would return it promptly and cover postage costs...?

Ebay: you underestimate my laziness!

I did have a look at buying those £6 1GB Kingston cards from Amazon marketplace, but they wanted £4.50 in postage for EACH card. So that's why they're so cheap...

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumpity Bump!

It seems that this problem is pretty common, another report whilst I've been away...

The thread

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=M...&MSID=36635

by sy7robc is interesting , in that he mentions the ejecting of cards by pushing them down (as you can with most devices which take SD cards). I have never been able to do this with mine. Has anyone else with this problem? is it related? this is very likely.

I just assumed that the GP2X didn't do this (I have only just noticed that it actually says push to eject on the top. >.<)

In the meantime, to get me through christmas at the inlaws I bought one of these http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/USB_Host

and it works a treat.

There do seem to be a few people with this problem, i'm trying to figure out what is going on, it could be that some of the new super cheap SD cards don't work or are of poor quality and not meeting the SD standards correctly.

They all work with the cards we stock, but we don't sell the cheap cards on the advice of our supplier.

cHEM posted on Dec 27 2006 at 11:22 AM said:
Bumpity Bump!

It seems that this problem is pretty common, another report whilst I've been away...

The thread

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?act=M...&MSID=36635

by sy7robc is interesting , in that he mentions the ejecting of cards by pushing them down (as you can with most devices which take SD cards). I have never been able to do this with mine. Has anyone else with this problem? is it related? this is very likely.

I just assumed that the GP2X didn't do this (I have only just noticed that it actually says push to eject on the top. >.<)

In the meantime, to get me through christmas at the inlaws I bought one of these http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/USB_Host

and it works a treat.

I did have great trouble getting the SD card to sit securely at first - it seemed to take (and does still take) a lot more effort than I'm used to with these SD card slots. It does eventually sitand eject when pushed again however.

I'm going to have a (non-warranty effecting) pock-around tonight and report back... :p

craigix posted on Dec 28 2006 at 02:39 AM said:
There do seem to be a few people with this problem, i'm trying to figure out what is going on, it could be that some of the new super cheap SD cards don't work or are of poor quality and not meeting the SD standards correctly.

They all work with the cards we stock, but we don't sell the cheap cards on the advice of our supplier.

I wouldn't say these are "super cheap" cards - I've tested with SanDisk and Viking cards. Ok, Viking's a touch dodgy, but the Sandisk should be ok? In any case, "cheaper" cards shouldn't make a difference if the device is built well - all the SD cards work fine with my card reader, digital camera, PDA etc, so why is the GP2X so high and mighty it won't read them? :(

Try this, folks: look inside the GP2X's SD slot at the little gold pins up the back. Is one of them bent back flat against the metal, or in any way different from the other pins?

This -- "I did have great trouble getting the SD card to sit securely at first - it seemed to take (and does still take) a lot more effort than I'm used to with these SD card slots." -- makes me quite certain that's what's going on. A poor batch of pins, probably. It happens.

Cheers GunPei, I had the exact problem described in previous posts, and after a bit of poking, I relized that one of the pins was bent back. I managed to un bend it with great difficulty but now at least it works perfectly.

I would advise anyone with bent "sprongs" to return it under warrenty as I nearly broke mine trying to fix it.

Back