New Gp2x Cant Sd Card Freezes Unit

Ok

With the 1GB card it is now working, I loaded some photos, a MP3, a couple MP4 videos & a folder of photos. No emulation yet.

It played the MP3 & opened the photos, it will not recognize my MP4 files though? I have standard MP4 files & some converted for play on my iplay yan for my DS, it would not recognize any video? thoughts?

I am scared scared scared to put the 2Gb card in, as that was the source of my problems it would seem....

THoughts?

Time for bed, will mess more with it tomorrow!

thanks everyone!

Miika said:
kevin J said:
Miika said:
If the 1GB card works, and you decide to downgrade your firmware (It should NOT be the firmware 3.0's fault that it doesn't work, so why touch it?). But if you want, be sure to first download the firmware 2.0.0 from the archive, flash it, and then the 2.1.1 one.
It is definitely not the GP2X's fault. If you aren't mispleased with the 3.0 firmware boot time, I don't think you should downgrade. 2.1.1 boots only slightly faster.
Why no load games on the 1GB card instead? Now that the card already is FAT32, it works on the mac, right?
No you got me backwards

The system currently has 2.1.1 on it & I want to upgrade to 3.0 from 2.1.1

I was wondering if the 2.1.1 did not like the bigger cards?

Going to look online how to run the upgrade now!

No, for your own and everybody else's sake, NO!
If you already got 2.1.1 on it, let it be.
The differences between 2.1.1 and 3.0 are visual. No much difference than longer boot time on 3.0!
No, the 2.1.1 should have the same card support. I use 2.1.1, and a 4GB works perfectly.
And, I heard that the official 3.0 upgrade has caused a lot of mess to people, my friend bricked his GP2X when he tried to upgrade. I highly recommend you to stay at 2.1.1 and try better cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
kevin J said:
Ok

With the 1GB card it is now working, I loaded some photos, a MP3, a couple MP4 videos & a folder of photos. No emulation yet.

It played the MP3 & opened the photos, it will not recognize my MP4 files though? I have standard MP4 files & some converted for play on my iplay yan for my DS, it would not recognize any video? thoughts?

I am scared scared scared to put the 2Gb card in, as that was the source of my problems it would seem....

THoughts?

thanks everyone!
It shouldn't hurt to put the 2GB card in, but if it's not working, what's the point?
The GP2X can't play MPEG4 I think, but it should be able to play your DivX and Xvid videos.
If the video codec is MPEG4 and audio is MP3 in a .avi file, it should play.

Also, what brand is the 2GB card?

funny question, but do the cards eject normally? ie; do you have to push them in to eject them?

The fact they came with FW2.11 means they were an old batch, and there was a batch around just before xmas (running FW2.11) which had dodgy Card slots, resulting in the problem you've mentioned.

A bad Batch of GP2x systems around xmas time?

In my information on the GP2X the serial # is 2006.11.09 I am assuming that's the date of build?

The system is also 2.10 not 2.1.1

The card is a gerneric from micro center, most of my SD cards are Generic.

I am going to try to 2GB card later & see about picking up a 4GB, but I am wondering now about this bad slot on the older ones.

Anyone know any programs that can play mp4 video with aac audio on the GP2x?

Miika said:
kevin J said:
Ok

THoughts?

thanks everyone!
It shouldn't hurt to put the 2GB card in, but if it's not working, what's the point?
The GP2X can't play MPEG4 I think, but it should be able to play your DivX and Xvid videos.
If the video codec is MPEG4 and audio is MP3 in a .avi file, it should play.

Also, what brand is the 2GB card?

kevin J said:

In my information on the GP2X the serial # is 2006.11.09 I am assuming that's the date of build?

I think the dodgy ones were all fw2.11, and from around November/December yours seems to pre-date these, and is dated September (assuming I'm interpreting the date format correctly), so I'm probably wrong mate.

The faulty batch did not work with ANY SD card, and would hang as soon as you put one in, either at the splash screen on booting, or whatever screen it was on if you inserted the card whilst the unit was already powered on. It was caused by a bent pin in the slot (you could more than likely see this if you look inside with a torch or something)

Well I am keeping faith that this one continues to work?

The other two GP2x worked till I put the card in, then froze, one worked the 1st time I put a card in, the 2nd time it did not? Maybe that bent pin did not fully bend till I put the 2nd card in?

So far so good, the only emulator I installed last night was Atari & it works great. I need to get a bigger card so I can load Mame & Neo Geo!

I am upset about the MP4 files, I have 70GB of converted movies, all MP4, was using them PSP, then replaced the PSP with a DS + Play Yan.

Ill keep everyone posted when I try things out tonight.

cHEM said:
kevin J said:

I think the dodgy ones were all fw2.11, and from around November/December yours seems to pre-date these, and is dated September (assuming I'm interpreting the date format correctly), so I'm probably wrong mate.

The faulty batch did not work with ANY SD card, and would hang as soon as you put one in, either at the splash screen on booting, or whatever screen it was on if you inserted the card whilst the unit was already powered on. It was caused by a bent pin in the slot (you could more than likely see this if you look inside with a torch or something)

For movies try PocketDivX on the standard PDA setting. Small size, good quality.

I advise you to get a brand SD, such as SanDisk or Kingston, and if the GP2X hangs on those too, then the store you bought it from has a defective batch, and you should return it.

Alex. said:
For movies try PocketDivX on the standard PDA setting. Small size, good quality.

I advise you to get a brand SD, such as SanDisk or Kingston, and if the GP2X hangs on those too, then the store you bought it from has a defective batch, and you should return it.

The thing that gets me, is even if it is a defective card, why would a defective card render my GP2x worthless from that point on? I am going to look at getting a new card today.

The SDHC cards are no good right?

I have not been able to find a standard 4GB SD card. Maybe just a 2GB

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think SDHC support is still experimental. In your situation it would best to go the sure-fire way with a standard 2Gb card (that's a whole lot, too).

Alex. said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think SDHC support is still experimental. In your situation it would best to go the sure-fire way with a standard 2Gb card (that's a whole lot, too).
I just got a sandisk card 2GB for $29.99 on my lunch break from RadioShack. It works, system booted, I am happy. The Generic Card from Microcenter was $15.99 & I am not putting it aywhere near my GP2x, ill use it in the Wii ;-)

So today I go home & attempt Mame & Neogeo.

I got myself a cheap generic 4GB SD when i got my system and it gave me quite a few headaches, nothing this serious though. I soon baught a standard 2GB Kingston SD and have had no problems ever since.

I'm now refusing to buy anything over 2GB and unbranded, atleast untill Open2X comes out then i'll buy a nice 8GB SDHC card, but it'll still be branded. I'm through with generic cards now :D

Just for the record, when you say 'unbranded', do you mean that there's no company label sticker on the card? Because there are some little-known companies, like PQI that makes decent cards :)

Just to pop in here, I bough a cheap regular 4GB SD from MyMemory (co.uk). It worked straight out of the letter, I didnt even need to format it, no hassle at all.

SO the GP2X is up & running, using both the 1GB & 2GB cards.

Now the adventure begins

SNES & Sega emulation works as well as Atari

Mame? Mame shows the boot screen & then just goes to a blank screen, I got everything where it is supposed to be?

NeoGeo? I used the Bios I have been using for years on my other emulation, but they are not the BIos the GP2X version is asking for? Strange...

I know it works, seen it work, anxious to get it working :)

Any thoughts?

I got Neo Geo running, with some glithces. Blazing Star wont "dump"? I was able to get most others to work though. Blazing star is one of my fav's, so anxious to get to the bottom of that.

So I have mame rom set for 3.9 should I get another set for the older versions? Does every update of mame require a rom set to match? I am very very anxious for mame :)

Everything else is good to go, except movies. All my movies are .MP4 aac audio. I got a DVX converter & re-coded a movie, but GP2x still would not recognize it. I am using it mostly for the games, but the movie option would have been nice.

I think I need another 2GB card :)

reaper79 said:
I think for NeoGeo you need the Unibios if I remember correctly. And for Mame, make sure they are the correct set for .34 I believe.

Sounds like you got one of those from the faulty last-xmas-batch.
Most of them had a bent pin in the SD Card slot, and freezing is exactly what happens then.
First, the SD Card goes in a bit stiff, then it goes in but doesn't work.

Up & running

Thanks for the Help Everyone! I got my GP2x (3rd ones a charm) Microcenter had 3 & it was the 3rd one after 2 exchanges that worked with the SD card in it. If it is from that batch of broken pins, hopefully the pin stays in place :)

I got two 2GB sanddisk cards on sale at Radio Shack for $29.99, figured I would stay away from the Generic cards for this unit. I got a full set of Emulators up & running, all my roms set. Just waiting now on my power suppy & TV out cable :)

Thanks again!

Back