Release ScummVM

thatgui

Advanced Member
Latest stable build now on the repo thanks to djwillis

I put the latest daily build of ScummVM on the repo.

There was no real work involved from my side, it was just a simple extract, edit pnd file, upload to the repo.

So credit goes to

• djwillis for providing an automated build process that also creates the pnd (and of course for spending countless hours on ScummVM and the Pandoras system)
  • foxblock
    After messing again with my own pnd creator I decided to fire up his PNDTools - worked like charm
I will ask ivanovic if its ok if I'm added as maintainer. If he gives his ok (which is probably gonna happen) I will update the official/stable build too.

I'm not following the ScummVM project very closely, so if you think its time to update the builds on the repo, just give me a hint (either via pm or this thread).

Last edited by a moderator:
I havn't tried this yet, but shouldn't the daily build produce a 1.7 git binary? The one I pulled from scummvm's site a couple of weeks ago did, at any rate. The stable build should produce the 1.6 one.

I havn't tried this yet, but shouldn't the daily build produce a 1.7 git binary? The one I pulled from scummvm's site a couple of weeks ago did, at any rate. The stable build should produce the 1.6 one.
I guess my brain was still lying cosy in my bed while my body already sat on the desk, while doing this. You are right, the version I uploaded was outdated. I uploaded the latest nightly > 1.7

Thanks for the hint

Quick point, I have been working on ScummVM again recently (and the OpenPandora in general) but one thing I would prefer is not shipping daily builds on the repo. Stable builds are perfect for the repository.

The buildbot builds have lots of extra debug info, lack of optimisation and a few other bits ad bobs left on so are not really for general consumption and should be noticeably slower then release builds.

Thanks for having a hack about with this however, great to see there is still interest, please drop me a mail, I really welcome any help :) .

Thanks,

John

but one thing I would prefer is not shipping daily builds on the repo. Stable builds are perfect for the repository.
Aren't two versions (stable and dev) ok ? If you want to keep the development builds out of the repo though, I'll remove it, and only update the stable build (if I get added as maintainer at some point).
Thanks for having a hack about with this however, great to see there is still interest, please drop me a mail, I really welcome any help :) .
Unfortunatly I don't really have a "hack at it", but would still like to contribute in some way or the other. I was thinking about a more Pandora "friendly" UI and changing the key assignments slighty, but I don't know how much work/skills this would involve.

Quick point, I have been working on ScummVM again recently (and the OpenPandora in general) but one thing I would prefer is not shipping daily builds on the repo. Stable builds are perfect for the repository.

The buildbot builds have lots of extra debug info, lack of optimisation and a few other bits ad bobs left on so are not really for general consumption and should be noticeably slower then release builds.

Thanks,

John
Hey John, great to see you back on the boards, haven't seen you around for a while. Thank you for all the work you do and I hope you had a good Christmas!

Unfortunatly I don't really have a "hack at it", but would still like to contribute in some way or the other. I was thinking about a more Pandora "friendly" UI and changing the key assignments slighty, but I don't know how much work/skills this would involve.
Any chance that either of you (thatgui or djwillis) would be able to add Pandora-sized widescreen support? Yes, it would skew the aspect, but I like using all available screen real estate for horizontal games.

but one thing I would prefer is not shipping daily builds on the repo. Stable builds are perfect for the repository.
Aren't two versions (stable and dev) ok ? If you want to keep the development builds out of the repo though, I'll remove it, and only update the stable build (if I get added as maintainer at some point).
Dev/GIT builds are unstable and over many years of looking after ScummVM backends I find just cause me a support headache. Problems, bugs and half-arsed reports ;) .

That is why (as a rule) I prefer releasing dev builds on my site (with a health warning) and stable builds on repos for various platforms. Of course, there is nothing I can do to stop this other then 'as a courtesy'.

What did you have in mind for the key assignments? Always open to ideas on refinement. There is a lot of work on the GUI going on in mainline that will benefit the OpenPandora backend if it comes to fruition and moving the backend to OpenGL would also help.

Any chance that either of you (thatgui or djwillis) would be able to add Pandora-sized widescreen support? Yes, it would skew the aspect, but I like using all available screen real estate for horizontal games.
From me? No, I would not add such support directly to the backend as is is a pain but it is VERY easy to achieve with a wrapper for Notaz's SDL lib before ScummVM starts that stretches the screen and remaps the touchscreen input (http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/9523-scummvm-latest-version-aug-2012-issues/#entry175651).

What I might consider adding is another icon to run it with the extra SDL environment settings and as such forces full screen with an incorrect aspect ratio.

If/when I get around to fixing up the OpenGLES code I was messing with that will go away as I have a plan in mind to up/downscale on the fly and let users select 'fixed aspect' on the fly.

Unfortunately, I am a stickler for the correct aspect ratio, but all for making the most of the screen within that constraint. So in my plan scaling 320*200 (8:5) surfaces to 768*480 would be fine and look almost right and use a lot of the screen ;) . With aspect correction on it would be 320*240 (4:3) up to 640*480 so the current full screen setting. Etc. etc.

Thanks for that script as I too like to run full screen.  Is there at least a change to include that script and reference a comment in the description on the repo to delete or rename to get the full screen they want?

That is why (as a rule) I prefer releasing dev builds on my site (with a health warning) and stable builds on repos for various platforms. Of course, there is nothing I can do to stop this other then 'as a courtesy'.
As requested, I removed the dev builds from the repo.Ivanovic added me as a maintainer for the ScummVM official build. So I tried to upload the 1.6 build. But I can't find it on the ScummVM page, the latest I could find is for 1.5. There is only a 1.6 version marked with "pre" in the daily build section.

Is there a reason why there is no official 1.6 build for the Pandora?

What did you have in mind for the key assignments? Always open to ideas on refinement. There is a lot of work on the GUI going on in mainline that will benefit the OpenPandora backend if it comes to fruition and moving the backend to OpenGL would also help.
When I tested the dev build on my Pandora, I had not used ScummVM on it for a long time. I had to figure out the controls again, and some just did not feel "obvious". I have to investigate this further though, before I can make a suggestion that is at least slightly useful.
What I might consider adding is another icon to run it with the extra SDL environment settings and as such forces full screen with an incorrect aspect ratio.
I'm no big fan of multi application pnds, as I can only (directly) control where the icons should appear on pnd, not per application, basis. How about deciding on wether a file with a special name (like "strechtofullscreen") is in the appdata directory, if the output should be stretched or not ?

As requested, I removed the dev builds from the repo.
Ivanovic added me as a maintainer for the ScummVM official build. So I tried to upload the 1.6 build. But I can't find it on the ScummVM page, the latest I could find is for 1.5. There is only a 1.6 version marked with "pre" in the daily build section.

Is there a reason why there is no official 1.6 build for the Pandora?

When I tested the dev build on my Pandora, I had not used ScummVM on it for a long time. I had to figure out the controls again, and some just did not feel "obvious". I have to investigate this further though, before I can make a suggestion that is at least slightly useful.
I'm no big fan of multi application pnds, as I can only (directly) control where the icons should appear on pnd, not per application, basis. How about deciding on wether a file with a special name (like "strechtofullscreen") is in the appdata directory, if the output should be stretched or not ?
There is no 1.6.0 build yet (or I would have uploaded it to the repo as well). I won't go into details but it did not happen as everything else was going to hell in a handcart at that time, no time to code etc. and I dropped out of the scene and all my other hacking about commitments.

As an aside, and really don't take this the wrong way as it is not meant badly, would an email have been an option before you take over as the maintainer on another devs package? I get maybe 6-10 mails a month about my various ScummVM backends and I try and take the time to reply on all of them. I am really grateful that there is still interest in ScummVM on the OP (I get more mails about the GamePark backends to be honest) and it is huge boost to know people still use/want it.

The 1.6.0 build should be out in a few days (and on the repo) as it is looking good in my testing. A 1.7.0 preview will go up on my site to get some real testing done of new little bits and bobs and the new engines.

I'll also look into the file in the appdir idea (for 1.7.0) to force the SDL stretch. I like that a lot.

I am not going to make a song and dance about it but the official 1.6.0 is now up both on the main ScummVM site and the repo. My other platforms will go up over the next few days.

Tweaks requested such as the full screen script check etc. may make 1.7.0 (and preview builds).

Thank you djwillis, this is great to be able to get the latest stable, cleaned up version too! :)

As an aside, and really don't take this the wrong way as it is not meant badly, would an email have been an option before you take over as the maintainer on another devs package? I get maybe 6-10 mails a month about my various ScummVM backends and I try and take the time to reply on all of them.
Apologies, I just figured that as they are publicly available on a rather anonymous site (meaning, not a personal site like a one man blog) that it would be no problem - will be more carefull the next time.

I am not going to make a song and dance about it but the official 1.6.0 is now up both on the main ScummVM site and the repo.
Thanks a lot, time to keep an eye on the used agmes market again in hope of some good deal on "eotb 1-3" and "Tony Tough".

As an aside, and really don't take this the wrong way as it is not meant badly, would an email have been an option before you take over as the maintainer on another devs package? I get maybe 6-10 mails a month about my various ScummVM backends and I try and take the time to reply on all of them.
Apologies, I just figured that as they are publicly available on a rather anonymous site (meaning, not a personal site like a one man blog) that it would be no problem - will be more carefull the next time.

I am not going to make a song and dance about it but the official 1.6.0 is now up both on the main ScummVM site and the repo.
Thanks a lot, time to keep an eye on the used agmes market again in hope of some good deal on "eotb 1-3" and "Tony Tough".
Cool, not a problem regarding the repo, it was only the fact that I was the maintainer of it rather then it being uploaded by someone else. Hence potentially loosing permissions to update my own app on there was a bit of a surprise ;) . That was all I was getting at, people are free to do what the want with the code and binaries (GPL after all).

Good luck tracking down EOTB, really keen to know what people make of that on the OP. 

Keep any suggestions or feedback coming as I am going to try and devote some time to the backends over the next few weeks so now is as good a time as any to get in simple improvements.

Back