Screenshots Of Caanoo Apps

kouky

Website
www.caou.org
Hi There!
I would like to know if it's possible to make screenshot of an app/game running on the Caanoo, using a key combo or something like that...

Shame...

I find it difficult to get screenshots for most Caanoo releases, and I need some to publish articles on caanoo-news.com

kouky said:
Shame...

I find it difficult to get screenshots for most Caanoo releases, and I need some to publish articles on caanoo-news.com

It might be possible to run a daemon in the background that grabs all of the memory from the frame buffer and dumps it to an image when a corresponding key-press occurs. But I don't think one exists right now, if I get some time tonight I could play around with making one.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about taking advantage of the tv output feature of the Caanoo? Of course, you'd need a capture device. You could use a camera if you get the lighting right.

kouky said:
Hi There!
I would like to know if it's possible to make screenshot of an app/game running on the Caanoo, using a key combo or something like that...

I found two apps on the GP2X archive:fbGrab and one frontend for it is fGrabber. Maybe that could help.

I have an Idea. and It works.
There's a frame buffer capture apps in Caanoo already.
It was to capture the screen to make manual etc...

Just make two script files in your SD Card root directory.
For example, following script will capture every 60 seconds.
Captured files could be found in your SD Card root directory.

==============================================================
autorun.gpu (This file may be unix format.)
#!/bin/sh
/mnt/sd/capture.sh 60 &
cd /usr/gp2x
./gp2xmenu

capture.sh
#!/bin/sh
while true
do
sleep $1
/usr/gp2x/capture
done

Following is another capture.sh implements.
It compose bmp file format from fb0 and only using scripts.
It's just writing bmp header and frame buffer to the file. That's all of bmp file structure.
And, captured files will be found at /mnt/sd/photo directory. So, It'll be better. ^^
This script also may work at Wiz.

capture.sh
#!/bin/sh
while true
sleep $1
ofn="/mnt/sd/photo/capture_`date +%H%M%S`.bmp"
echo -n -e "\x42\x4d\x36\x84\x03\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x36\x00\x00\x00" > $ofn
echo -n -e "\x28\x00\x00\x00\x40\x01\x00\x00\xf0\x00\x00\x00\x01\x00\x18\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00" >> $ofn
echo -n -e "\x00\x00\x00\x00\x13\x0b\x00\x00\x13\x0b\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00" >> $ofn
cat /dev/fb0 >> $ofn
done

I'm peacing my life slowly back together but i made such tool once based on the FbGrab source for dingux (the linux os for dingoo). The source modifcations were rather simple and it should be really really easy to port it given fbgrab works on caanoo. I'll reboot my pc and see how linux distro is and if my compiling envirnoment still works under linux. It should be a straight and simpel recompile.

In the mean time i can link you guys to the dingoo information / download on the archive. It basically worked by monitoring for screen presses but it was the first time i tried to create a daemon app. It's 23h00 right now so if my build environemet still works i can probably wip a version for the caanoo up in no time. http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/dingoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,275

kouky said:
this doesn't seems to work here...
How do i make the autorun.gpu to be unix format?
I don't think that's the problem. GPU files don't have to be in a special format.

It isn't working for me, either.

Okay the fbgrab daemon thingie compiles just fine only one little problem it used /dev/event0 on the dingoo which doesn't seem to be availible on the caanoo so i'll have to find a way to get keypresses without interfering with games etc (/dev/event0 seemed to be okay for that) there's probably a way to do it on the caanoo as well will have to check the dev threads or some wiki since i didn't keep up with developments of the caanoo deving. i still have time so i'll do a quick look for it I Will probably leave out the left / right / up / down button presses though for the key combination you have to press. depends on what i find for the button stuff and if it doesn't interfer with games of course

edit /dev/input exist :) just getting the key codes and i should be able to test it

joyrider said:
Okay the fbgrab daemon thingie compiles just fine only one little problem it used /dev/event0 on the dingoo which doesn't seem to be availible on the caanoo so i'll have to find a way to get keypresses without interfering with games etc (/dev/event0 seemed to be okay for that) there's probably a way to do it on the caanoo as well will have to check the dev threads or some wiki since i didn't keep up with developments of the caanoo deving. i still have time so i'll do a quick look for it I Will probably leave out the left / right / up / down button presses though for the key combination you have to press. depends on what i find for the button stuff and if it doesn't interfer with games of course

edit /dev/input exist :) just getting the key codes and i should be able to test it
Why not use a usb gamepad or keyboard to trigger a screen capture? I guess you could use the joystick click because hardly any games or applications use it. Or maybe something with the motion sensor, like a 360 degree turn on one axis or a shake?

Com64 said:
joyrider said:

Why not use a usb gamepad or keyboard to trigger a screen capture? I guess you could use the joystick click because hardly any games or applications use it. Or maybe something with the motion sensor, like a 360 degree turn on one axis or a shake?

well didn't read your message until now, but i just adapted my dingoo version for the caanoo, it it's using the buttons by default but you can easily modify the source code to register key presses or at least i think it's easy but it's not something i wanna do. it uses a config.txt where you have to put in a key combination (default is I+II, cause i think most use home for exit) I didn't think on looking for the joystick click totally forgot there was a button under it so it doesn't even register it. I'll see if i can make some other version sometime since it's getting late and have to work tomorrow. Also you can't use it to take screenshots of the gp2xmenu since the menu runs in 24 bit and the program has no way to detect what bitdepth the framebuffer is currently running in i've hardcoded it to 16 bit. This means games / emu's whatever running in another mode will give distorted screenshots until I or someone else can make some detection to know the bitdepth the framebuffer is in. Also certain games gave me a black screen (like propis). dunno why might be something at my end, but didn't have time to bother to look into it. It did work with picodrive (at least the version i still had on it) and the default emulator / games like wardner etc.

here's the download http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,115,675

source code is included inside the zip archive as well as all original files.

It'll do for now since i'm off to bed ;)

Back