Screen Cleaning

I've been told a 50/50 mix of water/isopropyl alcohol works well with lCD screens.. I've never seen a mix like that sold, it's very hard to actually buy 100% isopropyl alcohol in the US, best I seen is 70%.. At work we use Sight Saver wipes I use it to wipe my screens and glasses.. It's officially at my work to clean the microscopes.
Very close. What you want is common 70% isopropyl mixed 50/50 with distilled water (you do not want the 100% isopropyl for this job, but by-the-by it's great for cleaning CPU's - you can easily get that decanted at a chemist, they have gallons of it).

For the love of god don't use a solvent! I wouldn't even use detergent.

Most glass cleaning wipes are designed for GLASS. I'd avoid those too.

Ethyl alcohol (for drinking) and isopropyl alcohol (for rubbing) are two different chemicals. Yeah, drinking rubbing alcohol is a very bad idea.

I've been told a 50/50 mix of water/isopropyl alcohol works well with lCD screens.. I've never seen a mix like that sold, it's very hard to actually buy 100% isopropyl alcohol in the US, best I seen is 70%.. At work we use Sight Saver wipes I use it to wipe my screens and glasses.. It's officially at my work to clean the microscopes.
Very close. What you want is common 70% isopropyl mixed 50/50 with distilled water (you do not want the 100% isopropyl for this job, but by-the-by it's great for cleaning CPU's - you can easily get that decanted at a chemist, they have gallons of it).

For the love of god don't use a solvent! I wouldn't even use detergent.

Most glass cleaning wipes are designed for GLASS. I'd avoid those too.
going with this mix....thanks 3jane.

You may as well just buy 40% isopropyl alcohol, instead of concerning yourself about mixing a 50/50 mix of 70% isopropyl alcohol/distilled water.. isopropyl alcohol that isn't 100% is mixed with distilled water anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may as well just buy 40% isopropyl alcohol, instead of concerning yourself about mixing a 50/50 mix of 70% isopropyl alcohol/distilled water.. isopropyl alcohol that isn't 100% is mixed with distilled water anyway.

Aye, you can make use of whatever you have ready access to. You can even find special "LCD cleaning fluid" at exactly 33% if you look hard enough, but it will cost ya five times as much.

It's easier and cheaper to mix it yourself then to find a supplier, unless you have a link to share?

Back