"about The Gp2x Plastic Screen" Or "i Might Be An Idiot

canvasfly

Still Fresh
Hello Everyone

I used to think that my gp2x screen was quite prone to scratches, annoyingly so.
I decided to by a replacement and on my attempt to remove the old screen, I end up removing a thin plastic film covering to screen and viola, my gp2x screen is actually clear, clean and beautiful.

I felt like at idiot for both not realizing that it was there and never coming across a mention of it anywhere.
I do remember many complaints about the how easily scratched the screen gets.

So at the risk of looking like at idiot, if a newbie or anyone else out there hasn't noticed, use your fingernail, or any thin edged object, and scrape alone one of the curved corners of the gp2x's hard plastic screen cover and scrape gently to reveal the plastic protective film on the cover.

i feel quite foolish.

canvasfly posted on Jul 21 2006 at 09:08 AM said:
Hello Everyone

I used to think that my gp2x screen was quite prone to scratches, annoyingly so.
I decided to by a replacement and on my attempt to remove the old screen, I end up removing a thin plastic film covering to screen and viola, my gp2x screen is actually clear, clean and beautiful.

I felt like at idiot for both not realizing that it was there and never coming across a mention of it anywhere.
I do remember many complaints about the how easily scratched the screen gets.

So at the risk of looking like at idiot, if a newbie or anyone else out there hasn't noticed, use your fingernail, or any thin edged object, and scrape alone one of the curved corners of the gp2x's hard plastic screen cover and scrape gently to reveal the plastic protective film on the cover.

i feel quite foolish.
Congratulations on your new crystal clear gp2x screen!

Four or five months ago that was one of the major topics of conversation on this board, but you're right -- I haven't seen it mentioned recently. Are new units not shipping with that thing any more?

Last edited by a moderator:
GamePark sells a screen protector (adhesive film) that you can apply to the screen to protect it from scratches. It's a more durable and better adhesing film than the one that comes w/ the unit, which is meant to be removed when you open the unit.

However, I only use screen protectors on handhelds that have touch-screens.

blakespot

i think the MK2's are coming with the screen pre-attached and no film over the screen. at least my mk2 from gbax came like that

Yeah I had that same problem....hehe.
I got mine....thought it was really nice.....then it got dirty, and had lint on it. (not realizing that it was under the film, For some reason it wouldn't could off, so of course I tried to use a knife to scrape it off and I got a nice big scratch accross the screen...I started freaking out, thinking I damaged the precious screen...

Then I started running my nails accross it, and realized that it wasn't a scratch, and then I put my nail on the edge, and of course it peels right off, perfectly clean, and gorgeous.

DSR

My GP2x MK2 came with a screen protector or film over it. It was easy to see. It had little bubbles under it and had a dull look to it. The edges looked a little thick too. I easily pulled it off and applied the screen protector that I ordered with the unit. :)

edit: typos

I got a screen protector for my gp2x, it has been through hell and back. The rest of the unit is in mint, the screen protector is crapped up to all hell. I cant wait till I eventually remove it to see a crystal clear perfect screen underneith.

My (ahem, son's) gp2x came with some sort of crappy bubbly plastic cover that made the screen look very dull - especially with all the bubbles - we took it off. I take it there is no other protection on the screen (don't want to start scratching at it with knives if there isn't!)???

Bought it from www.gp2x.co.uk (ie craig).

I thought that thick bit of bubbly film was just packing - like the battery led bit film? (EDIT:: I don't mean the bubble wrap! :D )

If it's recommended to put the bubble producing film on - anyone have a method that gets rid of bubbles -- eg a rolling pin, steam roller, jack-hammer/kango, etc?

Also bought case from divineo, so maybe it's not much of an issue.

Kev

kevcal posted on Jul 21 2006 at 01:57 PM said:
My (ahem, son's) gp2x came with some sort of crappy bubbly plastic cover that made the screen look very dull - especially with all the bubbles - we took it off. I take it there is no other protection on the screen (don't want to start scratching at it with knives if there isn't!)???

Bought it from www.gp2x.co.uk (ie craig).

I thought that thick bit of bubbly film was just packing - like the battery led bit film? (EDIT:: I don't mean the bubble wrap! :D )

If it's recommended to put the bubble producing film on - anyone have a method that gets rid of bubbles -- eg a rolling pin, steam roller, jack-hammer/kango, etc?

Also bought case from divineo, so maybe it's not much of an issue.

Kev

I think that's the only layer on there. With early GP2Xs, it was flush with the screen, and almost looked like the screen's surface, and I think with later GP2Xs they must have used a thicker sheet and intentionally gotten air trapped so that people would know that it was there (as in the beginning not meny people could tell).

kevcal posted on Jul 21 2006 at 03:27 PM said:
Can't say I was too impressed with the protector then :(
I do recall many thread's about this on the MkI versions.
I'll leave the thing off and take the chance.

Kev

It's meant to be taken off. It's only protection for shipment, not for playing. :rolleyes:

:lol:

If you want protection for playing, buy an actual clear vinyl sheet LCD protector, either the official GP2X one, or one of the much cheaper ones made for a PDA.

How come people are still suprised by the thin protective layers? It's been common practise for as long as I can remember (25-30+ years) for all plastic display (or shiny) surfaces to have them on. The last thing the manufacturers want is people returning goods because of cosmetic blemishes incurred during transit (or even manufacture). I'd probably go so far as to return goods if they came without protectors!

Okay, I got the wrong idea from all the old posts on the subject..
This one is just for shipping, but I can buy a (supposedly) better one to protect the screen if I like.
Fair enough - if it's just a 'shipping' protector then it does its job well :)

Kev

paeryn posted on Jul 22 2006 at 02:32 AM said:
How come people are still suprised by the thin protective layers? It's been common practise for as long as I can remember (25-30+ years) for all plastic display (or shiny) surfaces to have them on. The last thing the manufacturers want is people returning goods because of cosmetic blemishes incurred during transit (or even manufacture). I'd probably go so far as to return goods if they came without protectors!
What people were surprised by is the fact that there were two protective layers, one which had a red tab and was obvious, and another which had no tabs at all and was difficult to remove.

nickspoon posted on Jul 23 2006 at 09:56 AM said:
What people were surprised by is the fact that there were two protective layers, one which had a red tab and was obvious, and another which had no tabs at all and was difficult to remove.
Is that one layer on top of another? If so then yes, that's silly. All I remember from when I got mine was that the plastic strip covering the screen was seperate and had a layer on each side. The layers are often put on by the company that supplies them and are there before they are cut to size which is why there isn't any tab to pull. If GPH is putting their own layer on then they should remove the manufacturer's first.

Back