Sand, Grit, Etc

But the Pandora is normally above sea level, and there is typically 0% ocean at 2+ feet above sea level, where we expect most Pandora use will occur.
Atmospheric moisture is probably our biggest concern.

Forget moisture, do you know what oxygen does to things? It oxidizes them! That's a fancy word for rust. And air is made up of about 80% oxygen.
The only possible solution to all these threats is to create a total vacuum around the globe, simultaneously removing all air and moisture, finally making the Pandora safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
But the Pandora is normally above sea level, and there is typically 0% ocean at 2+ feet above sea level, where we expect most Pandora use will occur.

Forget moisture, do you know what oxygen does to things? It oxidizes them! That's a fancy word for rust. And air is made up of about 80% oxygen.
The only possible solution to all these threats is to create a total vacuum around the globe, simultaneously removing all air and moisture, finally making the Pandora safe.
no, the air's only 20% oxygen. you mixed it up with nitrogen.

whatever is at 2+ feet above sea level is pulled by gravity and will drop below sea level, unless stopped by some properly placed surface.

Let's build a 10meters wall on every shoreline, just to be safe!

I live very near to the beach (In the Spanish "Costa del Sol") and I'd never use the pandora or any other electronic device. My sister's mobile phone has now a 50% chance of working properly because she brings it to the beach whenever she goes.

Now I've realized on how dangerous the Oxygen really is. We ought to do something before it destroys my computer!!
Let's ban Oxygen.

keep it away from the beach completly. If you're truely worried about a devicegetting damaged in a situation, the best possible solution is simply not to put it in that situation.

....or if you really want it for a MP3 player put it in a plastic bag and use Bluetooth headphones to listen to it.

We're in luck since the Pandora doesn't have anything like a hard drive or optical drive.
The worst that could happen is maybe you get sand in the keys and have to use compressed air or maybe take it apart and then use compressed air.
EDIT: the worst that could happen is you get sand pressing on the LCD panel. In fact, that would be horrible. Keep it closed when not in use and don't use your fingers on the touchscreen, maybe?

Getting sand in the SD slots would be bad too, but not horrible.

The worst that could happen is that you have to take off some covers and use canned air to blow the sand out.
Sand isn't conductive like water or sticky like chocolate milk, so it will be just a pain until you clean it. I wouldn't expect any lasting damage from it.

Disclaimer: I only took two years of high school chemistry and have never designed a handheld device myself, so I can't say how tough the Pandora will be.

what the fuck does chemistry have to do with this
it would be product engineering and design

....or if you really want it for a MP3 player put it in a plastic bag and use Bluetooth headphones to listen to it.
Genius!

Though I could see myself taking my Pandora to the beach, I've done it with my GP2x and my GBA and neither of those have been damaged. It just depends how careful you are with the device and where you place it (ie keep it in your bag and only take it out and use it when you are lying on the beach with clean hands, and don't plan on moving for the next hour.

Back