Rtf Reader

xcen

Website
xc3n.h4x0rr3c0rdz.net
I have been unsuccesful in finding a RTF reader for my GP2x and it makes me sad =(

it also makes me surprised since RTF is the most widely used open format! (thus the title haha)

I guess I could kick my own ass, learn to code and do my own (ETA 2008)

but what if I want it now? =p hehe

any suggestions welcome (including help to kick my own ass =P)

TIA!

Tie some string around your foot and pull it sharply using your shoulder as a simple pulley.

But as for advice for coding an rtf reader... look at the format in a plain text viewer (notepad) to see how it works, then you can think how to code it.

PokeParadox posted on Aug 27 2006 at 12:34 PM said:
Tie some string around your foot and pull it sharply using your shoulder as a simple pulley.

But as for advice for coding an rtf reader... look at the format in a plain text viewer (notepad) to see how it works, then you can think how to code it.

ok the first advised only hurts, I still can't read RTF with my GP2X =( (haha)

as for coding.... hmm I remember doing BASIC on my TRS-80 CoCo2 ...oh! and hypertalk on a Mac SE at primary school!

that was fun... AND 20 years ago =) I couldn't code in a modern language to save my grandmother ='(

Last edited by a moderator:
There are simple C libraries that read RTFs and all other kinds of files. All you need to do is compile that library for the gp2x, then compile a simple-ass program that opens a stream and feeds it to the library.

xcen posted on Aug 27 2006 at 05:39 PM said:
as for coding.... hmm I remember doing BASIC on my TRS-80 CoCo2 ...oh! and hypertalk on a Mac SE at primary school!

that was fun... AND 20 years ago =) I couldn't code in a modern language to save my grandmother ='(

xcen- try posting it up on the `cool ideas and other wishes' board. It would probably help if you can find some opensource linux program to port or base it off. On the other hand, since the gp2x screen is pretty small it might not work so well. You might just want to change it to text, which would be much easier to read, or pdf, which is already done.

It's pretty rare for me to come across an RTF file just sitting out there... is there some community that publishes stuff in RTF?

Dzz posted on Aug 27 2006 at 03:39 PM said:
It's pretty rare for me to come across an RTF file just sitting out there... is there some community that publishes stuff in RTF?

nah it's just me that converted a bunch of file sto that format so I could retain the formatting of .lit files

I tried PDF but it's pretty nigh unreadable on the GP2x with the program, for some reason

I guess I'll convert to txt o_O

and I didn't know it was microsoft =) hehe

I'm an author, and mostly use RTF -- very portable for transferring new chapters to publishers/editors, yet has all the formatting you need.

So, yes, some industries still use it :)

xcen, gaterooze, just convert it to HTML. Same difference and then some. Such a better choice than RTF, it's incomparable.

iignotus posted on Aug 27 2006 at 07:57 PM said:
xcen, gaterooze, just convert it to HTML. Same difference and then some. Such a better choice than RTF, it's incomparable.

yeah HTML is more than decent and available for me to convert to...

what do I read it with? Lynx/links (not sure which was ported) I guess?

You could use the opera web browser, included in the port of Qtopia. I had actually been checking qtopia earlier to see if that had a built in reader for RTF files, but it doesn't.

GPH said that rtf will be supported in futur firmeware but for which firmeware? ;)

Back