Iphone And Pandora Arm Porting

trix

Very Active Member
Hi guys! I've been lurking around for quite a loooong time here but never had reason to post (you guys are pretty thorough). Recently I've come up with a question that I don't recall being answered and a forum search seems to be unable to locate. As the topic description says...

I have an iPhone 3G, semi-broken (cracked screen, cellular antenna broken) but still works ok. I run Gentoo on my x86 PC, and have a good version of GCC on the phone, and have the Gentoo package manager (Portage) set up where I can emerge a package on the phone's console and it will do the compiling on my Home PC, for x86 (for use on Home PC). Now I was thinking... it wouldn't really be too hard to set it up to compile for ARM instead, and test the binary on the phone just to make sure it runs on ARM. Without a Pandora (until my pre-order arrives) this phone is the only ARM device I possess, hence I would like to use it as a bit of a ghetto way of testing software I'd want running on ARM.

Eventually when they get Gentoo running on the Pandora more completely then it does now (though they are making great progress!), I will run Gentoo on my Pandora as well as my PC (and, eventually, my iPhone... I love Gentoo). Being able to use the PC for the compilation of all my ARM software for both platforms would be kick ass. Not to mention, I want to get better at cross compiling and porting x86 to ARM, as there is a lot of stuff I want on my Pandora that the masses aren't going to do for me. For example, I am a sailor, and come summer I will be sailing the ocean with months at sea alone with my Pandora. How kickass would it be if all of my navigational and nautical software ran on my Pandora as well as my shipboard computers? I could plan my journey ashore before I was even aboard my boat, and get information on weather right where I am, from my pocket!

And while I'm dreaming, I am also trying to get the source code for an old Win95 game so I can try to port the client to ARM, to work on the Pandora. The game is called Magestorm, and a community has come together over the last year and wrote their own server so the hundreds of members can play this game once again... and playing it on my Pandora, with joystick nubs, would be totally awesome.

Any thoughts, suggestions, feedback, and flames, are all welcome. Yes even the flames. I have thick skin and love a good flame war.

- trix

Back