RPG Recommendation

Ultima... leads to Wizardry... Eye of the Beholder... Might and Magic... and heck Baldur's Gate.

Damn I forgot about EoTB, played 1 & 2 on Amiga to death and Black Crypt too which was Amiga specific.

I'm looking for a decent RPG to play on the Pandora.

I've not played many but I'll give a list that I have:.

Zelda Series - No complaints here.

Final Fantasy 7 - Random Battles :(

Diablo 1 & 2 - Loved both

Dungeon Siege 1 & 2 - Loved both

Titan Quest - Just average

I would like something I can dip into on lunch / while commuting.

Many thanks

how can i play to dungeon siege I & II? What emulator??

Many thanks to everyone that posted in here I'm currently scouring ebay for some of the titles mentioned :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Playstation titles first as I can rip those easily to play on Pandora: Chrono Cross, Wild Arms and Star Ocean Second Story.

I have FF7 in garage but the random battles really started to annoy me so never finished it, may go back to it though.

If you want to try a different kind of RPG, I enjoyed very much

Valkyrie Profile (Lenneth) for PSX

(I never played the second game)

It's a Platform/RPG, STRONGLY AND DEEP STORY BASED, if you like to know the life of your group members this is a MUST.

The story is also dynamic and even the people you can get in your group, so it has a great replayability.

The are no random battles like FF series, you have to touch an enemy to start the fight, and it is not turn based, you can use all your members at the same time to make complex combos !!

The only drawbacks I found are:

1) The game is split in episodes with a contdown time, so you can't look around too much to finish a quest.

2) You will NEED to follow a walkthrough to get to the BEST ENDING... Cause there are too much things to do in the CORRECT order... anyway IT MUST BE SEEN to have all the answers !!

And I add also the Metroid saga (at least NES/SNES/GB)... It's more a platform then an RPG but with all the upgrades you get through the game seems like Zelda in some way.

Mario RPG works very nicely, yes :) And the Lunar titles can be played in both SegaCD and PSX form.

I'd recommend Grandia (PSX) if it hadn't just appeared to have a rather game-breaking compatibility problem. As soon as that is sorted, I recommend wholeheartedly.

Not a classic RPG along the lines of aforementioned games, but I like this one a lot: Front Mission 3 on PSX. Should be comparable to Final Fantasy tactics.

I've played the heck out of Secret of Mana, too. Challenging bugger that one.

POWDER is a great roguelike RPG, find it in the repo.

A good source for those interpreted games like Ultima 7 might be GOG.com.

I wish there was an interpreter for Ultima Underworld on Pandora. Abysmal Engine, you hear me?

...but if you want to play REAL Roleplayinggames, you need a PC or a very fast Pandora (high overclocking, 1Ghz Pandora or Pandora2 if available) with QEMU.

Such as:

Fallout 1+2 (my alltime favorite RPG is the first part though),

Baldurs Gate 1+2,

Planescape: Torment,

Gothic 1+2 (i don't know if the english versions are any good, but i looove the german originals and have played them a lot over the years),

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (although it has never been finished, it's still great)

Back to the JRPGs: Has anyone mentioned the beloved Breath of Fire 1-3 yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
there are soo many RPGs out there. you can't go wrong w/ps1 rpgs. try star ocean 2 on psx. i don't know how you feel about Strategy RPGs, but try final fantasy tactics and front mission 3. Earthbound on SNES is great, not to mention Chrono Trigger. you can even google "best or top RPGs." you'll get many recommendations.

Chrono Trigger (SNES/PSX)

--- seriously, this is THE game to play, awesome storyline

Breath of Fire 3 (PSX)

--- best in the serie

Terranigma (SNES)

--- more emphasis on action, great storyline

The first two are turn-based, last one is real-time.

More about Terranigma: it's a hidden gem, never got the attention it deserved, probably because they never released it in the US. I would highly recommend giving it a chance. Though might be hard to find.

"Golden Sun" for the gameboyadvance

Its story is pretty standard as far as rpg's go. "Evil people stole the holy super special thing because they are evil and now the hole worl are in dagger!!!1!" But it's puzzle mechanics are some of the most fun I've played and it has really nice battle animations. Pretty sure most of it is prerendered, but it doesn't stop it from being nice.

Note that to play the whole way through you will need the "sequel" which is nothing more than a necessary extension of the game that was sold separately for evil purposes. First half is so long that you won't need it for a while. I forget what the subtitle of the sequel was, but they share the same main title so it shouldn't be a problem

Best ever PSX:

Suikoden 1

Suikoden 2

XenoGears

Final Fantasy 7

Final Fantasy tactics

Breath of Fire 3

Alundra

Wild Arms

Star Ocean Second Story

Best Ever Snes:

Chrono Trigger