Round 4. Fight! (2010-10-12)

Finishing Batch 1 is our top priority while working on smaller issues (case, production line, etc.) is also being looked into so future production will become way more reliable and faster.

We really need some companies that don't just TELL us they finish this and that and then it takes weeks longer.

We've started looking into altenatives for the future, it's looking promising but too early to say anything yet.

Mass production will start while the company is still trying to improve it for the future.

It's probably not necessary, but we won't lose time nor money here, and it's worth a shot.

According to the company, first mass production nubs could be finished in one week, so if they start early next week, they could arrive in 1,5 weeks in Texas to be soldered onto the boards.

If it doesn't cost us anything, great.

When you say the "first mass production nubs" how many are we talking? Enough to send to Texas and finish up the 3000 boards?

Enough for them to still be soldering on nubs (how long does that take?) by the time the rest of the remaining 6000 nubs arrive?

Is it worth sending some of the nubs to the UK (or MWeston) to do, instead of waiting for Texas, so you can start shipping off finished Pandoras?

Speaking of which, how far along in board production does Texas *claim* they are?

I said the *last* set of nubs, e.g. these

Nice try, though. :)
I don't think I see what the problem is. The original ones only lasted to 100K, so the manufacturer changed their process. Those one came out to 300K but OPT was hoping for 500K so the manufacturer did some more work. Now they're over 400K, which seems to be good enough. You think they should have gone with the ones that lasted 300K? Might have shaved a few weeks off the delivery, but I don't think it would have been a good choice in the long run, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am excited to see the Pandora, but I am a bit unhappy with the communication that I received when preparing to order. I was told that by pre-ordering from batch 2 in September, I would be guaranteed to receive the system by Christmas. I am sure that the woman who responded to me was just doing her job and trying to sell a system, but you should be under-promising and over-delivering rather than the other way around. This was my son's only major Christmas request and after the communication from your representative and placing an order for batch 2, we let him know that he would be getting it at Christmas. I know that our promise to our son is not your problem, but your implied promise to me is. I have included the email correspondence so that you can review it and perhaps talk amongst yourselves about setting realistic expectations.:

Re: question about purchasing pandoraTuesday, September 21, 2010 11:45 AM

From: "openpandorasales" <openpandorasales@gmail.com>Add sender to Contacts

To:

Hello Chris,

You can place a pre-order for the Second batch release of the Pandora. The expected release date is November.

Ordering from Batch2 is the only way to be guaranteed of receiving a Pandora before Christmas.

Updates on the progress will be posted, as available, on our website Developer Blog and our Pandora forums at http://boards.openpandora.org/

The Pandora includes a battery, power adaptor and stylus and has a 12 month RTB warranty. It is built in England.

Please forward your full name and address details so we are able to generate an order number for you. Payment is by credit card via Google checkout. Other payment options are available on request - Bank Transfer/Cheque/Money order.

Please confirm the items you wish to purchase and the shipping method - if you choose UPS please include your telephone number with your address details.. We will then forward a Google Checkout request for payment.

Kind regards

Jacquelyn

USD PRICE

PANDORA - $349

Accessories:

TV OUT - $21.99

CARRY CASE - $21.99

BATTERY - $30.99

ADAPTOR -$14.99

STYLUS - $ 8.00

DEV FUND DONATION - $20

Air Mail shipping - $25

UPS 24/48 hr shipping - $49

On 21 September 2010 15:01, wrote:

Hello,

My son is interested in the Pandora and we a considering purchasing one for him for a Christmas present. If we were to order now, would it be available to ship to the U.S. in time for Christmas?

I was also curious about warranty. Is there a warranty for this system and where would we take it in the U.S. for warranty service?

Please let me know as soon as possible. Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Chris

I am excited to see the Pandora, but I am a bit unhappy with the communication that I received when preparing to order. I was told that by pre-ordering from batch 2 in September, I would be guaranteed to receive the system by Christmas.
Look at it this way. If you didn't order, then no chance. If you ordered, you can wait till December, see if batch 2 is in progress, and then decide if it is still worth the wait.

The nubs have been a problem, and until they bet placed on some boards, shipped, and delivered it is pretty hard to tell how much of a delay has really happened (since there has now been time to prepare other stuff). It also depends where in the queue you end up. Maybe a proportion of the early batch 2 people will drop out over the next two months. A big company would have given you the same over optimistic story, and not admitted to a slip till delivery day.

I am excited to see the Pandora, but I am a bit unhappy with the communication that I received when preparing to order. I was told that by pre-ordering from batch 2 in September, I would be guaranteed to receive the system by Christmas.
No offence intended, but if you had searched these boards you would have known such a guarantee to be bullshit.

This is the third Christmas that I'm supposed to receive my Pandora. I'm not fully convinced that I will.

For more than two years now, the Pandora will be ready for delivery in Two Months. Promising your son to receive a pre-ordered unit by Christmas was a risk and it's very likely that you will have to disappoint him.

No offence intended, but if you had searched these boards you would have known such a guarantee to be bullshit.

This is the third Christmas that I'm supposed to receive my Pandora. I'm not fully convinced that I will.
I'm going to agree with him on this one: OPT have missed several deadlines and shouldn't be using such strong words which could end up just being another deadline.

I'm going to agree with him on this one: OPT have missed several deadlines and shouldn't be using such strong words which could end up just being another deadline.

Exactly. It would be one thing to say "If all goes well..." or "Best case scenario...". But so many times I see concrete statements with specifics dates, then when they pass, I see "Well that was said before such-and-such happened". But by now OPT should know that things can still go wrong, and should take that into account with they make statements.

When someone who's been following this project for a while sees "Ordering from Batch2 is the only way to be guaranteed of receiving a Pandora before Christmas.", they just think "yeah, we'll see". Whereas if someone new sees that, they'll think that by ordering from batch 2, they'll receive their Pandora before Christmas. There's no reason they should have to dig through past board posts to try to interpret that statement as anything beside exactly what it says.

Last edited by a moderator:
I highly doubt that batch two-ers will be getting Pandoras by Christmas...I'm near the end of batch 1 and I don't know if I'll be getting mine by Christmas.

I'm not saying I have a problem with the wait - I'm just saying that no one should expect a guarantee, nor should anyone be making one.

i dont think anyone here realizes which christmas it was guaranteed for, im still expecting mine before xmas, but im hoping for the one in 2011

It will be a pleasant surprise when I get my email saying it's shipped... But other wise I'm not getting anxious or excited over the wait. It will happen when it happens.. No use worrying or complaining over things that I have no control over.

>> Ordering from Batch2 is the only way to be guaranteed of receiving a Pandora before Christmas.

I'm prepared to say July.

(Grinning, ducking, and running)

I don't know if this has already been discussed, but would it be a good idea to make nubs that would go in a connector / socket instead of soldering them directly on the PCB? This way they would be easilly replaceable in case of failure and wouldn't require an RMA.

Back