Roms

fartyboyslim

Still Fresh
I was wondering if Because roms arnt free, Does that mean that you have to pay for them Or does it mean that there free but there had to find. If there free and its not warez, then can anyone tell me where to get them from. I'm not up for getting done for getting warez software.
If you do have to pay then can anyone tell me how much they are and where to buy them from please. ;)

Okay, ROMS of commercial games are NOT free, therefore illegal and you won't find them (nor ask about them) here.
You can't buy them (yet...?), you can only buy the original cartridges for the original console.
It is only legal to use commercial roms from cartridges you actually own.

There exist a lot of homebrew roms for different consoles.
You can get them at www.pdroms.de

EDIT: Ahh, a bit faster, Vimcas ;)

Roms usually are free, but legally to own them you must own the game and have the rom as the backup
Public Domain roms are basically homebrew games and such

Correction to the previous posts

Having copies of commercial roms is not necessarily illegal.

Some Roms are Homebrew / free / PD

Some roms can be bought cheaply e.g. Atari roms licences from Starroms or by buying the PC port of the arcade rom e.g. Atari Arcade Classics, Williams Classics etc. Capcom arcade roms are licenced if you buy a Hotrod arcade joystick.

Some commercial roms are Free / PD given away by there authors e.g. Robby Roto (Arcade) or All Jeff Minters games for 8 Bit and Atari ST.

Most roms on the net are not legal copies you can own without owning the original.

Some people sell roms on CD / DVD - this is not a legal way to purchase them as the money is not going to the copyright holder.

Having said that many people flout this like having copies of a mates CD on cassette / cd.

The law is changing however to take copyright infringement more seriously.

In the US all roms are illegal unless YOU backup a copie from your cartrige all those "laws about them being legal arent ture. well for the US anyways.

Yeah, ROMS are illegal, you can find them b ut in very few places ( like this site). There,however, not illegal if you have the game already

You can download ROMs --- Here ---

You will have to pay for them before downloading though.
That only has MAME roms :( And theres no MAME gp32 emu... I wish nintendo would be more nice, and give old ROMs for $5-10 somewhere
Nintendo probly wont. their mean you email them asking somethign containging a swear they call your house a tell your parents(not sure how they got my # want singed up for NP then...) So Im guessing they wont but it would be nice if they did though

Last edited by a moderator:
Back