Double Standards ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timeslip

Judging from posts last couple of weeks there has been a few attempts at trying to get a trading forum setup that has been shot down by the moderators, due to - in their words - how no warez,roms policy......

So how come in the castaway forum links to Joes FTB - which is full of ILLEGAL roms for Atari ST has been pinned by the mods.........

Seems like double standards to me

How about instead of publicly making a scene whining because you dont agree with software laws. Instead of publicly pointing out areas where the moderators may have failed to "keep clean", how about you PM a moderator and mention it in private eh?

Or is this the forum version of throwing a tantrum?

Not to mention, how old is Atari ST? Its a long dead system, with games that have been retired many years ago.

Sometimes, under certain conditions, there are exceptions. They are not double standards, they are exceptions. For every rule there is an exception to that rule. It is up to the moderators to determine what is an exception and what is not. Just because you dont get your way, doesnt mean you should go through and in your tantrum try and find all of the places where an exception has been made. You should PM a moderator, nicely, and ask why something was allowed to be there and why yours isnt. They, for the most part, will promptly respond and tell you how there is a big difference between what you were trying to do, and linking to a site with extremely old atari roms.

:blink: How about doing the 'WhoCares'-Dance instead of arguing about such ridiculus topics?

*lalala whocares?!*
*lalala whocares?!*
*lalala whocares?!!!*

Timeslip, can you please stop flaming and constantly post in the wrong section to get attention? Your post has nothing to do with the GP32, it should be in the OT section (just like all your threads).

Akuma no Houkon posted on May 25 2004 at 12:33 PM said:
How about instead of publicly making a scene whining because you dont agree with software laws. Instead of publicly pointing out areas where the moderators may have failed to "keep clean", how about you PM a moderator and mention it in private eh?

Not to mention, how old is Atari ST? Its a long dead system, with games that have been retired many years ago.

Sometimes, under certain conditions, there are exceptions. They are not double standards, they are exceptions. For every rule there is an exception to that rule. It is up to the moderators to determine what is an exception and what is not. Just because you dont get your way, doesnt mean you should go through and in your tantrum try and find all of the places where an exception has been made. You should PM a moderator, nicely, and ask why something was allowed to be there and why yours isnt. They, for the most part, will promptly respond and tell you how there is a big difference between what you were trying to do, and linking to a site with extremely old atari roms.
Im pretty sure that the copyright laws dont get dismissed just because its an old system. Hell I`ve written 3 ST/Amiga games (Black Dawn) series and im pretty damn sure i never agreed to allow them to become freeware just cos there a few years old

So does that mean that we are allowed to talk about nes,sms,spectrum,64 etc etc ROMS just because they are old ?>

Last edited by a moderator:
timeslip posted on May 25 2004 at 05:45 AM said:

Im pretty sure that the copyright laws dont get dismissed just because its an old system. Hell I`ve written 3 ST/Amiga games (Black Dawn) series and im pretty damn sure i never agreed to allow them to become freeware just cos there a few years old

Actually, you are wrong. Copyrights DO have a limited life span. And its not just a "few" years old, its much older then that.

Maybe if you opened your eyes and looked at the situation you'd see why.

i assume your refering to the efforts to create a GP Torrent site and the efforts by a few members to set up GP Cinema trades.

The reason that these threads have been closed and locked and moved is because that sort of talk represents a real threat to the board. The people of the RIAA and the MPAA are more than willing to shut down ANY portal that represents a threat to the copyrights they represent. The gp32 as a whole is on unstable ground basing its existance near entirely on pirated games, however, as pointed out, these systems are long since dead, thus theres no money in lawsuits surronding them and thus no one minds.

On the other hand, the man is more than happy to threaten and take action against groups it sees as having an impact of films and the like.

think about it for just a minute and you see why the situation is as it is.

Akuma no Houkon posted on May 25 2004 at 12:46 PM said:
How about instead of publicly making a scene whining because you dont agree with software laws.  Instead of publicly pointing out areas where the moderators may have failed to "keep clean", how about you PM a moderator and mention it in private eh?

Not to mention, how old is Atari ST?  Its a long dead system, with games that have been retired many years ago.

Sometimes, under certain conditions, there are exceptions. They are not double standards, they are exceptions. For every rule there is an exception to that rule.  It is up to the moderators to determine what is an exception and what is not.  Just because you dont get your way, doesnt mean you should go through and in your tantrum try and find all of the places where an exception has been made.  You should PM a moderator, nicely, and ask why something was allowed to be there and why yours isnt.  They, for the most part, will promptly respond and tell you how there is a big difference between what you were trying to do, and linking to a site with extremely old atari roms.
Actually, you are wrong. Copyrights DO have a limited life span.
but they last a damn sitre longer than 10-15 years

timeslip posted on May 25 2004 at 05:48 AM said:

Depends on the copyright, some last 4 years, some 8, some longer. But thats not the point. The point is, there is a HUGE difference between Atari roms that no one really cares about, and video / audio that would, as spray mentioned, attract the the RIAA and MPAA .

spray posted on May 25 2004 at 12:47 PM said:

i assume your refering to the efforts to create a GP Torrent site and the efforts by a few members to set up GP Cinema trades.

The reason that these threads have been closed and locked and moved is because that sort of talk represents a real threat to the board. The people of the RIAA and the MPAA are more than willing to shut down ANY portal that represents a threat to the copyrights they represent. The gp32 as a whole is on unstable ground basing its existance near entirely on pirated games, however, as pointed out, these systems are long since dead, thus theres no money in lawsuits surronding them and thus no one minds.

On the other hand, the man is more than happy to threaten and take action against groups it sees as having an impact of films and the like.

1st of i understand why the forum wasnt allowed - even though it would have been nothing more than `Hi my name is XXXXXXX, PM me if u interested in trading`

What i am moaning about is how the same reasons - COPYRIGHT LAW - are given for not allowing it are blatently ignored a couple of forums down!

Akuma no Houkon posted on May 25 2004 at 12:50 PM said:
timeslip posted on May 25 2004 at 05:48 AM said:
How about instead of publicly making a scene whining because you dont agree with software laws.  Instead of publicly pointing out areas where the moderators may have failed to "keep clean", how about you PM a moderator and mention it in private eh?

Not to mention, how old is Atari ST?  Its a long dead system, with games that have been retired many years ago.

Sometimes, under certain conditions, there are exceptions. They are not double standards, they are exceptions. For every rule there is an exception to that rule.  It is up to the moderators to determine what is an exception and what is not.  Just because you dont get your way, doesnt mean you should go through and in your tantrum try and find all of the places where an exception has been made.  You should PM a moderator, nicely, and ask why something was allowed to be there and why yours isnt.  They, for the most part, will promptly respond and tell you how there is a big difference between what you were trying to do, and linking to a site with extremely old atari roms.
Depends on the copyright, some last 4 years, some 8, some longer. But thats not the point. The point is, there is a HUGE difference between Atari roms that no one really cares about, and video / audio that would, as spray mentioned, attract the the RIAA and MPAA .
Im sure the law and the authors of the Atari ST games(me included) would feel differently - Im sure these forums have a NO WARES policy

> Viewing post history for timeslip

"I`m not gonna take offense for you expressing you opinion m8, but it doesnt change the fact that this place is a damn site less friendly than it used to be"

and

"m8 stop being such a prick to the noob`s"

Versus

"I dont like to flame but that guy REALLY deserved it - About his topics and attitude - but digging at his crappy was a bit low."

and

"Maybe his Mums grounded him and he`s grumpy he cant go out to play like the rest of the girls"

He knows what he'll get banned for:

"If u post what u have/want your gonna get flamed/banned - Already been threatened myself!"

So he circumvents it by asking people to contact him:

"I`ve got plenty myself if u wanna know WHAT i`ve got then just PM me"

Besides flaming the forum, community or users, complaining about the users getting flamed, and attempting to trade illegal content while publicly asking people to PM you...

...do you actually have anything useful to contribute?

All I've seen you do in the last couple of weeks is moan about everything and anything. If you don't like the forums perhaps you should start your own and trade illegal movies as much as you like. I guess you didn't pick user ID 666 by accident.

timeslip posted on May 25 2004 at 12:59 PM said:
spray posted on May 25 2004 at 12:47 PM said:

1st of i understand why the forum wasnt allowed - even though it would have been nothing more than `Hi my name is XXXXXXX, PM me if u interested in trading`

What i am moaning about is how the same reasons - COPYRIGHT LAW - are given for not allowing it are blatently ignored a couple of forums down!
Thats the way of the world.

Where theres a threat, action is taken, where theres no worries, everything continues on.

I'm certain that EVERYONE on the board could be as free and easy as they wanted with games, films and music. It would be great to post links to rom sites for newbies and have a huge database of downloadable GPCinema films.

The cold truth is that this can't happen. So whilst the mods have to close illegal topics, they can allow ones which no one will care about to go on.

I think your forgetting that the mods are people too, they don't exist just to piss people off!

Rico posted on May 25 2004 at 01:04 PM said:
All I've seen you do in the last couple of weeks is moan about everything and anything. If you don't like the forums perhaps you should start your own and trade illegal movies as much as you like. I guess you didn't pick user ID 666 by accident.
Im sorry was there at any point me saying I want to trade in illegal warez ?

Plus fair play to u picking up on my 666

And do you have any objections to me sticking up for newbies geting flamed for no reason ?

And the reason for the entire post was about myself and a few others GIVING AWAY free stuff - aint i a complete bastard!!!! Im so worthy of being flamed,Mr JumpOnTheBandwagon

Not that I claim to know a great deal about copyright, or care about copyright law, but purely for interests sake I'll say it anyway. I've heard most modern (last 30 years or so) copyrights do not expire until around the year 2040-2050, so I assume the Atari would still be under copyright.

timeslip posted on May 25 2004 at 01:10 PM said:
Rico posted on May 25 2004 at 01:04 PM said:
Im sorry was there at any point me saying I want to trade in illegal warez ?
Dude its in your signature:

GPCinema Trader - PM For details!!!!!

i know - i just changed it, but i must be going blind cos I failed to see where i said ILLEGAL WAREZ FOR TRADE.

Perhaps I`ve just got films and tv series over 10-15 years were according to some on the board the copyright dont mean jack :D

timeslip posted on May 25 2004 at 01:18 PM said:
i know - i just changed it, but i must be going blind cos I failed to see where i said ILLEGAL WAREZ FOR TRADE.

Perhaps I`ve just got films and tv series over 10-15 years were according to some on the board the copyright dont mean jack :D
Or perhaps you haven't.

Perhaps the mods are just covering their backs in case the forum gets shut down.

timeslip posted on May 25 2004 at 06:18 AM said:

Thats not true, most TV shows and movies have had their copyrights renewed plenty of times and the majority are still valid. Reruns still make lots of money. You can still watch those old shows on your current TV

The difference with the Atari games is, many of those companies dont exist anymore, and the hardware to play/view them isnt produced anymore.

When was the last time you saw someone getting busted for atari roms? They no longer make any money, the companies, for the most part, could care less about them. And even the few that care, dont care enough to spend the money it would take to protect or renew that copyright.

Movies, tv, etc..., on the other hand. are being hit hard by the RIAA and MPAA . Moreso each day. The copyrights are all still valid, reruns of movies and tv shows are shown constantly, and still rake in the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back