Rocks

Imerion

I am currently working on an Asteroids-clone, currently titled "Rocks". The name will probably change though. :)

Anyway, the plan is to make it quick and fast, like my previous game Smallball in Changeland. One game round should not take more than a few minutes, so you can pick up and play it anytime. However, this game will have a lot more depth that Smallball.

Currently, the game is planned to have six different levels, with different environments which affects gameplay. One of them, for example, has a black hole in the middle constantly dragging players and asteroids in. There will be weapon power-ups to pick up and apart from the asteroids there will be other random enemies to look out for. The game also has an interesting shield, which deflects any single asteroid which hits you. But if you move towards them yourself it won't work and it will neither work if more than two rocks hit you at once. The shield can also be "released" which destroys all nearby asteroids but leaves you vulnerable.

This is pretty much the current plan for the game.
Now, the reason for this rather long post is, does anyone have any ideas of things to add to the game? I'd be happy to hear any suggestions which might make this a better game.

Also, here is a very early screenshot. It doesn't do the game justice though. The moving background and particle-effects are barely visible and some of the graphics will be redrawn. But it gives an idea of what the game is like.
rocks_early_screen.png

Sounds cool.

My idea would be to add some types of objects like in MINESTORM for the Vectrex.

These include qravity objects that attract to your ship, objects that spit projectiles when hit etc.

Also it would be nice if it followed the asteroids effect where when you shoot a large rock it splits into two medium ones which split int two more smaller ones when hit.

And when the rocks split into smaller ones they can leave behind some asteroid dust which you can collect to get extra points (or fuel?).

You could also procedurally govern with some probabilistic function how asteroids split into smaller once instead of having it always split into two. But that adds a random factor so the game will not be the same everytime played (i don't know if you want that or not).

Maybe some indestructible asteroids? Pickups? Different weapons? (don't make it too complicated though :) )

Looking great! I like the black hole idea, maybe a cool name could be Event Horizon.

The black hole level could be a "boss" type level. You could play it normally and avoid getting sucked in, or shoot/collect a certain number of things to be launched through the hole into a bonus level, in a parallel/bizarro universe. :D

Thanks for the comments! Now I have a big bunch of things to implement.

My idea would be to add some types of objects like in MINESTORM for the Vectrex.

These include qravity objects that attract to your ship, objects that spit projectiles when hit etc.

That could certainly be done and sounds interesting. I'll take a look at Minestorm.

Also it would be nice if it followed the asteroids effect where when you shoot a large rock it splits into two medium ones which split int two more smaller ones when hit.

That is already implemented, but each asteroid splits into four parts.

And when the rocks split into smaller ones they can leave behind some asteroid dust which you can collect to get extra points (or fuel?).

That is an intersting idea. I am a bit worried to screen will become to crowded though.

You could also procedurally govern with some probabilistic function how asteroids split into smaller once instead of having it always split into two. But that adds a random factor so the game will not be the same everytime played (i don't know if you want that or not).

As it is now, I have something along those lines. Asteroids come with random sizes and when they split, the parts are 50% of the size the original was. So I could spawn a giant asteroid which splits into four pieces the size of normal ones. This only affects size though, not how many parts it breaks up in. But that could be included as well.

Maybe some indestructible asteroids? Pickups? Different weapons? (don't make it too complicated though smile.gif )

Some indestructable object might be a good idea. As for pickups and different weapons, there will be both. I have thought about missiles which homes in on asteroids and a tractor beam which pushes away asteroids. (Or puts them together so they get easier to hit).

Looking great! I like the black hole idea, maybe a cool name could be Event Horizon.

The black hole level could be a "boss" type level. You could play it normally and avoid getting sucked in, or shoot/collect a certain number of things to be launched through the hole into a bonus level, in a parallel/bizarro universe. biggrin.gif

That is a cool idea! This parallel universe could be a hidden level. Except for the standard empty level and the black-hole level I was thinking about having one which is in the middle of a galactic war, so on each side there would be planets or giant ships firing shots back and forth over the playing field. Maybe each level could have some kind of "second part" or hidden area which can be reached once a certain critera is met. As you said, the black hole level could have a paralell universe if you enter the black hole and the galactic war level could have a third part entering the war, or something.

Here's some from me:
  • Some asteroids have a small enemy ship inside, and when you destroy it the ship comes out to get you. Maybe these asteroids could be marked a certain way, so you'll know about the risk of shooting them down.
  • Bonus points for every moment you fly in the vicinity of the black hole without getting sucked in.
  • Powerful weapon that obliterates an asteroid from one shot (no more breaking up in pieces). There would be a significant reload time between fires.
Oh, and try making the asteroids brighter, they are too hard to see. I really like the particles in that shot :) Good luck with this!

Thanks!

Some asteroids have a small enemy ship inside, and when you destroy it the ship comes out to get you. Maybe these asteroids could be marked a certain way, so you'll know about the risk of shooting them down.

That's a fun idea. Ill do that. I could draw a small "Base"-structure on those asteroids, which would explain why a ship would fly out of it. :)

Bonus points for every moment you fly in the vicinity of the black hole without getting sucked in.

Interesting. Perhaps I could have other environmental score-bonuses hidden on the levels as well. Ill check that out.

Powerful weapon that obliterates an asteroid from one shot (no more breaking up in pieces). There would be a significant reload time between fires.

I (almost) already have such a weapon implemented. It immediately destroys asteroids, but have a limited range, making it risky to use.

As for the asteroids, they will either be redrawn or made a lot brighter. At first I thought about having a darker design, but it doesn't work very well on a small screen and the brighter design looks better.

Also, I just implemented an interesting weapon: The gravity mine. If you put one on the playing-field it will drag all asteroids towards it, like a small black hole. It will only last for a short while (or until an asteroid touches it, whichever works best) but should be possible to combine with other weapons for interesting effects.

Back