Release "rocks" action game

sswam

Advanced Member
I wrote this game in 2003.  It's a bit like Asteroids but with gravity, no bullets, and worse graphics.
You have to hit the rocks with the pointy bit of your ship.  It's quite hard.  I'll add music at some point.

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=rocks-1

screenshot.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. QUITE hard! However, quite addictive, too. What is it written in?

What is it written in?
I wrote it originally in python/tk, then in my own dialect of C++, finally in regular C++.  With Xlib   o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the colours random, or are they some indication (as I originally assumed) as to whether they'll attract or repel.

Got to level 4 on my first attempt, which makes this game much easier than Balls was :)

yes the colours are an indication of whether they attract or repel. Your ship has its own "hidden" colour and interacts based on that. And your ship changes colour from time to time. (a bit crazy I know!)

Nice game!

The attraction reminds me of magnets, not really gravity. Popping magnetic balloons with a needle that breaks very easily.

The needle never breaks, but if you accidentally manage to hit the side of your ship with a balloon rather than the point, you go pop instead of the balloon. Given there's no dampening to your rotation, doing the former rather than the latter can be tricky though.

I guess both gravity and magnetism work on the inverse square of the distance, so magnetic attraction and gravity are basically indistinguishable in isolation. Of course, there's no gravitational equivalent of magnetic repulsion.

Back