Rlyeh Has Lost His Suitcase

Here are some photos of the conference rlyeh has given on the BCNParty (where he returned from).. about the GP2X.
Some interesting shell projected screenshots, mixed with some rlyeh scary photos.

http://www.gp32spain.com/imagenes/BCNParty2k5/
Go to "Conferencia Oankali" folder for conference pics. Or mess up a bit with the photo folders *cough, cough, Enkonsierto, cough, cough* to discover some rlyeh (and company) scary photos.. :lol:

P.S: The photos show the FINAL CONSOLE (the one from Craigx) debugging with the EXT port, so.. will we be able to debug (with any hand-made cable) on the final unit?

thanks for pictures link!

edit:
had to go through a LOT of pictures to see the gp2x console!!

Last edited by a moderator:
First reaction: NOOOOOoooooooo! :eek:
Second reaction: if it's a joke isn't funny :angry:
Third reaction: Enormous relief! :)

You only learn to make backups once you lose something valuable. I learned the hard way :(

edit:
had to go through a LOT of pictures to see the gp2x console!!

I gave up after 50 horrible pictures and only one having a small blurry gp2x in the background.

Some people need to learn that some pictures can be deleted and holding the camera steading is a great way to improve the quality of your pictures. Also labling any pictures that have a gp2x in it with big red letters that say GP2X, would be nice too. :lol:

I seriously recommend people back up anything like work or documents etc. I look after about 100 servers at work and a few desktop PC's. Its amazing how often hard drives can die, even Scsi ones with 5 year warrantys. Raid setups help but they are not bulletproof. I backup around 1.5 terabytes a week at work to tape but just doing a dump to dvd every now and then is useful for home stuff. I lost some old uni work once and I would have liked to been able to go back and look at it again :(

i think the neogeo pocket emu guy lost his source as well, eh?
long time ago.. but it's not been touched since.

that's a lot of stuff lost for a small scene like ours..

Has to be a joke as no coder writing anything bigger than Hello World would be stupid enough not to have backups. Hard drives fail so often etc these days!

Don't ever get a job in the commercial coding world will you ;). You may have some nasty shocks as there are big projects that loose source in the most stupid ways all the time ;).

this is around in the forum since I joined... wasn't there new information that the developer of GP-Engine startet to rewrite it a while back?

Has to be a joke as no coder writing anything bigger than Hello World would be stupid enough not to have backups. Hard drives fail so often etc these days!

Don't ever get a job in the commercial coding world will you ;). You may have some nasty shocks as there are big projects that loose source in the most stupid ways all the time ;).

Well, it was decided at our company that versioning systems like cvs was a waste of time and resources required to implement it - free ones took too long to setup and use, and the others cost too much. So, they decided to keep all the source code on the main server, and everyone just worked from that, so it was guaranteed that everyone always had the latest version, as they never kept a copy locally.

It worked fine until someone deleted the wrong directory :eek:

Found out the same day that although the backup tapes for the main server (on which the sources were kept) were changed daily, nothing had actually been written to them for over a month, so bye bye source code.

Needless to say, there's now a new backup policy in place, and no more "edit it on the server drive", but still no CVS...

It worked fine until someone deleted the wrong directory :eek:

Found out the same day that although the backup tapes for the main server (on which the sources were kept) were changed daily, nothing had actually been written to them for over a month, so bye bye source code.
Ouch!
I'm the guy who does the backups for my company and if that had happened here I'd be out of a job! But then I do backup nearly 10TB a week.

Edit: spellig

Believe it or not, I just checked, and Ive got 0 backups of my server or any files that I program for (Probably about 500+ Java programs, and some various languages, and many many PHP scripts Ive written), I just backed up my entire server, and files after this.

Back