RIOT Tag-Team coding competition

paper wars - hangs on title screen ("1 player\n 2 players"), must kill it remotely or hard reset pandora EDIT: Must use stylus to navigate the game. Lovely graphics, but I don't understand rules yet. I only located three control keys: "ESC", left nub, stylus. I feel there is more but couldn't find them. For example zooming the map?

Hey Cosurgi,

Actually, you've found all the buttons already! Nub to move, escape to quit and the stylus to select stuff.

If you just start clicking around, you realize how you can move stuff, where you can build stuff and heal stuff. If your feeling a little lost, I made this badly edited tutorial video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZPi2Hj3Yjs.

If you have any feedback on how to make the game better (like, more descriptive UI hahaha) I'd be happy to hear it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is libsprig.so in the directory with the binary?
yes it's in this directory - as unpacked from .zip file. Actually export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./ fixes the problem and the game runs.

Hey Cosurgi,

Actually, you've found all the buttons already! Nub to move, escape to quit and the stylus to select stuff.

If you just start clicking around, you realize how you can move stuff, where you can build stuff and heal stuff. If your feeling a little lost, I made this badly edited tutorial video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZPi2Hj3Yjs.

If you have any feedback on how to make the game better (like, more descriptive UI hahaha) I'd be happy to hear it!

now that I figured it out, I think this UI is actually good. Only on start screen you could put a short note on the bottom of screen: "use stylus to select, left nub to move camera and ESC to exit".

Where do you have the source code for this game? I'm curious to see how you have done that lovely graphics, do you use pandora's graphics acceleration for that? what language do you use? How did you draw the 3D models and what format did you use to import them into the game?

Hm. What were the rules about "no remakes"? Just wondering, since Shootet seems to be (from screenshot and vid) very much a remake of the old Gameboy game Quarth...Not that that is a bad thing (it is an excellent game), but still...

Not only is the style very different, but Shootet has a different (and much better) powerup system than Quarth does. And it doesn't mimic Quarth's levels. I think it's different enough. Also, the rules stated "no clones", not "no remakes".

otherwise how would prometheon be much different then some 2d metroid? how would rainy day be any different than any other run, jump, and hack game, how would paperwars be any different then advance wars? how would piratebaby be any different then tomagatchi?

cosurgi said:

now that I figured it out, I think this UI is actually good. Only on start screen you could put a short note on the bottom of screen: "use stylus to select, left nub to move camera and ESC to exit".

Where do you have the source code for this game? I'm curious to see how you have done that lovely graphics, do you use pandora's graphics acceleration for that? what language do you use? How did you draw the 3D models and what format did you use to import them into the game?

Yeah, good call on the title screen ... that little hurdle must certainly be mounted before somebody can start exploring the game.

Regarding the source... That's actually Crow-Riot's area as he did allllll the code. The engine is pretty much the same as the AudioRace engine, which was already very platform agnostic. However, I believe he likes to keep the stuff closed.

Regarding the graphics, I was exporting from Blender using FBX. Crow then converts it into his own file format. All those nifty lighting and shading tricks? The shadows and ambient occlusion are baked to seperate textures then combined into a single diffuse texture. So, everything is (carefully) precalculated. Essentially, polygons are unlit in the engine.

On the menu, I mean. It looks kinda ugly and pixelated compared to the beauty of the 800x480 game (though I understand that the menus were originally made for 320x240 screens).

Yeah, good call on the title screen ... that little hurdle must certainly be mounted before somebody can start exploring the game.

Regarding the source... That's actually Crow-Riot's area as he did allllll the code. The engine is pretty much the same as the AudioRace engine, which was already very platform agnostic. However, I believe he likes to keep the stuff closed.

Regarding the graphics, I was exporting from Blender using FBX. Crow then converts it into his own file format. All those nifty lighting and shading tricks? The shadows and ambient occlusion are baked to seperate textures then combined into a single diffuse texture. So, everything is (carefully) precalculated. Essentially, polygons are unlit in the engine.

thanks for reply. I'm sometimes thinking about making a small game where player would lead a scientific expedition to stars to explore alien worlds, gather samples and contact with alien life forms. A game inspired by Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora, with some extensions (mainly inspired by SF books of Stanislaw Lem). Though I never know if I will ever have enough time for this... I have a clear picture of how engine should work, though. Graphics is a problem, such lovely graphics with be sooo nice to see there :) But I'm unable to make that.

I asked about the source thinking that I would be able to slowly progress on that myself, but now I see that it's impossible. I forgot how to use blender years ago. This game has only 8 boards, with hexagonal tiles, 6x8 each. There are alien forests, bushes, mountains, volcanos, etc.

Initialy I was planning to just use pygame for that, and make very crappy graphics and focus on engine. Hmm, maybe I should start from that, and later if it works, we could think switching to nice graphics.

Anyway unfortunately I barely have time for that, so it's extremely slow. Currently I made only a welcome screen, and learned how to use pygame a bit :)

EDIT: and what coding language Crow-Riot is using? Just in case if I succeed in writing this and if we decided to later merge our efforts - would be good if I started in the same language.

I'll see about whipping up some sounds for Paper Wars. No promises, though.

EDIT: Here's some, made with SFXR. I've also got most of the raw .sfs files in case you'd prefer to modify the sounds. What do you think?

Paper Wars.zip

Attachments

• Paper Wars.zip
    192.4 KB · Views: 156
I'll see about whipping up some sounds for Paper Wars. No promises, though.

EDIT: Here's some, made with SFXR. I've also got most of the raw .sfs files in case you'd prefer to modify the sounds. What do you think?

By the way, I recommend BFXR. Increpare did a great job with all the added features (I needed locks!) and it's web-based:

http://www.bfxr.net/

Congratulations to makers of PaperWars for first prize, and all other contestants who have places 2-6 and thank you to those who havent placed

for anyone(in germany) who cant see youtube link, there is a download link in Riot Blog site, please only download if you cant watch youtube

looking forward to future competitions, as these bring about some great games, since now i actually own a pandora too, id also like to make a donation to next prize pool

now would someone please port AAAA over to pandora so i can test it if its so good

Really, that top 6 is completely different from what I expected... But I'm happy, I'm 4th while I thought I wouldn't make the top 6 at all (with all the comments about the demo being to short)... Thanks to those who voted for Rainy Day :D

Really, that top 6 is completely different from what I expected... But I'm happy, I'm 4th while I thought I wouldn't make the top 6 at all (with all the comments about the demo being to short)... Thanks to those who voted for Rainy Day :D
I think the Rainy Day tech-preview scoring so high does a little discredit to all those entries that did manage to deliver a playable game. That said, what you delivered was of extremely high quality. Had you managed to deliver a playable game then you would have been a very likely candidate for the first place.

I'm still looking forward to a full release of Rainy Day. Marvelous work, keep it up.

Congratulations to the winners and many thanks to all those who contributed to the challenge.

Back