RIOT Tag-Team coding competition

Had about 10 minutes to look at these last night

Wow Rainy Day looks amazingly professional congrats guys,

Puzzletube seems like a keeper too,

Shootet I just dont get it.

PirateBaby My egg didnt hatch yet?

Im looking forward to testing the others congrats to all of you for some awesome achievements

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Shootet, make rectangles from the shapes coming at you by adding blocks to them. Piratebaby, it appears the first level is called patience for a reason :p

My first impressions of the linux/pandora titles I've downloaded so far:

Scitzophrenia: Hangs every now and then, feels promising but I never get anywhere long before the hanging occurs :(

Daff's Adventure 2: Got to the end of second or third cave segment, then it hanged. :(

Daff's Adventure might crash because it is out of memory. Did you play it on the Caanoo? You could try restarting and loading (to continue from last savepoint). I'll tell kake_fisk about it. See if he can get it fixed.

@foxblock working on the pc and not on a console is sometimes because of loose pointers or forgetting to allocate memory and stuff like that. Maybe a debugger or profiler or something could help find such problems?

P.S. Is the "i voted" button in my signature too big?

Daff's Adventure might crash because it is out of memory. Did you play it on the Caanoo? You could try restarting and loading (to continue from last savepoint). I'll tell kake_fisk about it. See if he can get it fixed.

My first impressions of the linux/pandora titles I've downloaded so far:

I don't think the "I voted" image is too big, but there could be a smaller version too?

@foxblock working on the pc and not on a console is sometimes because of loose pointers or forgetting to allocate memory and stuff like that. Maybe a debugger or profiler or something could help find such problems?

It is most likely not that as the game hangs, not segfaults, so it is in an infinite loop (and there are only a few cases in the code this might occur).

I sent B-Zar a test build (I hope that is okay, I won't make it public of course, but I don't have any other means of testing) and adding a simple loop counter seems to work, but some further testing has to show whether the physics engine now acts weird.

The button is fine in my eyes.

I just wanted to drop in to say that it's fine. There are users with rather bigger images in their signatures, so this one's far from being a problem. ;)

I just wanted to drop in to say that it's fine. There are users with rather bigger images in their signatures, so this one's far from being a problem. ;)

I made a smaller version (called voted_small.png) I'll add it to the voting page. People will only have it for like 1 week, so it is probably ok being big :)

It is most likely not that as the game hangs, not segfaults, so it is in an infinite loop (and there are only a few cases in the code this might occur).

Ok, To be honest, i thought hang ment crash. Because that is what happens to Daff's Adventure sometimes. B-Zar does Daff really hang, or does crash?

/Uni

^ Hang. Picture stays, controls are unresponsive, has to be killed externally. I could try again at some point if it does the same thing.

Thanks for the critics guys. But actually you can't say the demo is too short cause it's not a demo, it's a preview :p (of course I now what you mean, I know it's short). We could have just decided to not enter the compo after all but as it all started with it (without the compo this game wouldn't exist, it's all thanks to the "minimum 2 members in a team"-rule) we decided to make a short preview, not to win the compo but to give you a first glimpse of the game.

I already played most of the games that have a windows build :) Here are my thoughts:

Skylark: In terms of graphics it looks good, I really like the parallax effect inside the castle/temple/... would be cool if all areas had it :) I haven't played it that long (so maybe it gets better) but it got a bit repetitive as I was just walking around killing enemies... would be cool to have other stuff in the levels like barrels or crates you can destroy :)

Daff's Adventure 2: very basic in design but quite fun. I like the simple story and absolutely love the music :D !!!

Geek 'em Up: Fun game, a bit difficult (for me). Sound effects would make this game a lot better :)

Prometheon: Really well done! A lot of work went into this demo. A lot of text to read in the beginning though... I haven't played it that long but I'll sure will :) Oh and I almost forgot, I love the music :D

Monkey game: I like the retro original Gameboy look of it only thing missing now is 8bit music and sound.

Puzzletube: Really great presentation, feels like a finished game. Very cool puzzle mechanic! Only thing that bothered me was the sudden end of the game, a "ping... ping... ping..." sound when time is running out and something else when the time is over would work.

Schizophrenia: Played it on PC for a short while, looks really promising but the controls were a bit difficult (on computer). Will try it on my Pandora :)

I'll sure try the other games too before voting :)

Really glad people are enjoying Shootet! It's really damn addictive, but I'm rather biased ;) You guys liking the graphic style?

Definitely, also overall one of the better games of the compo in my eyes :)

I don't know yet whether I will make a review for each game like I did with the Pandora competition, I am tempted as I got a lot to say, but then again who wants to read me blabbing about some stuff for thousands of words ;)

If a single developer wants an open opinion about his or her game, I am happy to give one (not that my opinion is more worth than anyone else's, but I tend to be quite elaborate).

In related news, the hanging bug in Schizophrenia is finally fixed, it was related to a compiler option, an updated version has been sent to Uni and will hopefully be available soon.

I feel bad about updating our game twice, so sorry about that, this will have been the last time for the competition at least.

Pandora update available now, also a working Linux version (containing two binaries, if one does not work, try the other one, if that does not work either you might need to compile it yourself :p ).

also for the people that have trouble hatching the egg in piratebaby, on pandora, just wiggle the egg with X button like 5 times and the egg will hatch, its not really a waiting game. and BLACKALiCE, i really like the Shootet game, although your team should include a documentation with pandora as it is difficult to figure out what youre trying to accomplish in the beginning

also for the people that have trouble hatching the egg in piratebaby, on pandora, just wiggle the egg with X button like 5 times and the egg will hatch, its not really a waiting game. and BLACKALiCE, i really like the Shootet game, although your team should include a documentation with pandora as it is difficult to figure out what youre trying to accomplish in the beginning
It is called Level 01 - Patience for a reason, but you are right, will at least hatch the egg... May not give you the result you want though! ;)

wait so hatching an egg by force is not a good idea? hmm i guess theres more depth to this game then i thought

Thanks for the feedback we received for Shootet so far. I am glad you like it.

If you have any ideas, suggestions or harsh criticisms, please let me/us know.

i really like the Shootet game, although your team should include a documentation with pandora as it is difficult to figure out what youre trying to accomplish in the beginning.

Yep, I think we'll extend the 'HowTo' screens a bit.

Also, here is a new little video:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/yX6HLndrOoc?feature=oembed

...maybe it attracts some of those who thought "Oh no, another puzzlegame..." to play it a bit. :)

haha I messed up the current Schizophrenia PND by forgetting the binary... oh well

Fixed version has been sent to uni, I guess I need a vacation to clear my head ;)

EDIT: Updated version now available from the RIOT site.

Back