Revisiting The Excitement

lucidchaos

Website
Visit site
What excites you the most about the Pandora's capabilities?

Today I was explaining to one of my co-workers, who has no interest in gaming, the unique applications of the Pandora. When I first showed him a picture, he dismissed it as a gaming console. Here's the posibilities I told him that may change his mind:

Full Firefox 3 Web Experience with analog scroll/zoom + mouse
Remote desktop via VNC
media streaming via WIFI
Bluetooth tethering to internet through cellular

I personally am exited about some more gaming related things of course, as well as the ability too use it as a full-on microcomputer.

Not only has technology changed in the last 10 years, but so has the idea of platform exclusivity. Macs are every bit as popular as PCs among my friends, and neither has a problem finding software. The necessity of buying a computer because of architecture and software compatibility is going to the wayside because of high speed internet. Google docs for example is just the beginning.

The tone of the forums lately has been a bit cynical for my personal taste. A recent post by Vorporeal wisely stated
Vorporeal said:
...The core group of developers and community members - the ones who practice good forum etiquette and are generally respectful towards others - are staying away from the forums until the Pandora comes, as there's no need to hang around. Some of the remaining people are likely here to shoot down newbies to the project, as that is their major method of getting satisfaction and feeling good about themselves. The rest of us are just impatient.
I am impatient, not in any way because of the banking issue, the delay, or anything of the sort. Just as you most likely are, I am just excited.

With all the knowledge currently on the table, why are you excited?

(edit) quotation fix

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm mostly excited about the fact, that it will raise the convenience in doing computer stuff in general. Sitting at the desk with my notebook is inconvenient, having it on the lap is even more inconvenient. It's loud, it gets hot. I can't take it with me, because it's too heavy and bulky.
The Pandora is going to be a little revolution with it's high density computing power :) It will take a while until the software is mature enough for this, but it will definitely be a tomorrow's device today.

Please, no more excitement, there are thousands of excited posts already.

I'm excited about the release because then we can stop all the excitement and speculation and deal in a bit of reality for a change.

I read a lot. Usually 50+ books each year. I've had a Sony eReader for almost 2 years now and I tell anyone who asks that it is, without question, the most useful electronic device I've ever purchased. It made it so easy for me to take lots of books and comics with me, nearly everywhere I go. Its size is very unobtrusive (it fits in my jacket pockets, cargo pants pockets, etc) and the battery lasts long enough that I don't have to constantly think about it.

I have high hopes that the Pandora gives me the same satisfaction with its marvelous portability and plethora of features. I think that it is quite possible that devices like this could easily become a primary way of connecting/computing/entertaining.

We shall see.

P

Plowman said:
I read a lot. Usually 50+ books each year. I've had a Sony eReader for almost 2 years now and I tell anyone who asks that it is, without question, the most useful electronic device I've ever purchased. It made it so easy for me to take lots of books and comics with me, nearly everywhere I go. Its size is very unobtrusive (it fits in my jacket pockets, cargo pants pockets, etc) and the battery lasts long enough that I don't have to constantly think about it.

I have high hopes that the Pandora gives me the same satisfaction with its marvelous portability and plethora of features. I think that it is quite possible that devices like this could easily become a primary way of connecting/computing/entertaining.

We shall see.

P
I feel the exact same way about my Sony PRS-505. Have you ever used Calibre with it? I think it would be a cool program to get working on the Pandora too. It's open source and written entirely in Python and works on Windows, Macs and Linux.

Parkydr said:

I'm excited about the release because then we can stop all the excitement and speculation and deal in a bit of reality for a change.
+1...

sebt3 said:
LOL @ bumping the dying thread that you disapprove of.

I can see the cynicism is now in full effect. I wanted a variation from checking back a few times a day to see only "where's my pandora" "where's my money" "where's my new information". Mods feel free to close.

For all those that are interested in UMPC stuff, I suggest reading chippies UMPC buyers guide(I've posted in off topic about it). It will be very interesting to see, where Pandora will rank. If P. can hold it's price, it will easily acquire some marketshare in the MID terrain and maybe even in the low-end UMPC segment, when the software is mature enough. If P. can ride on the ARM-Netbook wave that will form next year, it might become a fair success in that area. Craig's last comments regarding the RAM update clearly indicate, that they are speculating on it.

Parkydr said:

Yea! Let's do another thread about the banking issue instead!

Yea, I think I am going to revisit the excitement by taking a break from these forums. I think I've eked out all the information there is to know from these forums (right now). With that, I think I will catch you all on the flip side.

The Flip Side being when we have Pandora's in our Hands.

Back