Reseller for 4G modem

Also don't forget that once he has US units in stock he'll be able to sell some if not most of them wholesale to Link. (though probably not all at once.)

-Neelix

Also don't forget that once he has US units in stock he'll be able to sell some if not most of them wholesale to Link. (though probably not all at once.)

-Neelix
I figured if ED couldn't afford to have them just sitting around Link would probably be able to afford it even less (considering the stuff related to an unfortunate Kickstarter he was involved in and how he may lose a bit of money on each of those). Maybe Link can get a handful at a time, however that includes many still unpaid for and sitting around with money tied up in them.

Once we get to 500 EU model orders the problem becomes bigger since then another 500 of those modules need to be purchased. Maybe he is planning on stopping the preorders before that point to have the most money to work with and the least additional expenses.

What makes you think they'll be just sitting around? Once the Pyra is out there and the reviews start coming in I expect that ED and Link will both be able to move a fair number of units.

-Neelix

Oh jeeze. I didn't realize that the 750 goal only concerned EU and Standard units. I can appreciate why, but dammit, there goes my enthusiasm.

It wasn't meant that way. It was just an example of a method to juggle the money of 750 preorders to work around the modem's MOQ of 500 units. Unless ED has significant funds left from investors (outside the preorder), there won't be enough money to pay for both 500 modems of the EU and US versions. Building the US version in a second step works better given the current numbers, because a larger number of units can be delivered directly after production collecting another 200 EUR each when the standard and EU versions comprising about 80% of preorders are built first.

What makes you think they'll be just sitting around? Once the Pyra is out there and the reviews start coming in I expect that ED and Link will both be able to move a fair number of units.

I also assume that the Pyra will sell reasonably well, but that sounds slightly overoptimistic to me.

-Neelix
Ok, you are missing the point. The numbers (and money coming from preorders and going toward manufacturing complete units) that ED gave us seem to suggest that the US model can't be made if the MOQ is 500. Based on current preorders I doubt ED would take the risk on them and assume they will sell quickly. He already has to pay to fix the screens, so the extra cost of those unused US modules might not be possible. Making hundreds of extra complete units for the least popular model would be stupid.

Maybe not, but I rather suspect that ED will continue taking pre-orders for a while yet, (I seem to recall that he had a pre-order goal of 1800 units to avoid having to run pre-orders again for the next batch) so it remains to be seen how far away from that MOQ the US orders will actually end up.

-Neelix

For a while now the EU 4G level has been about 50% of the total, and the US 4G about a third of that, so about 17% of the total. The rest is SE units. So if 1800 units in total are preordered, it looks like there'll be something of the order of 900 EU 4G chips needed, but only 300 US chips. To get 500 US units at these rates you'd need to get about 3000 total preorders.

The better news is that at the moment, it seems to take about 5 days to shift 100 preorders, so if things stay as they have done so far, it would take just two months (TM?) to reach 3000 preorders. Whether interest will last that long with new people still discovering the project remains to be seen though.

Correct me if I'm wrong here (and it's very likely I am), but there doesn't seem like there's been any indication outside of these forums that either of the 4G models might not be made. The only thing I can think of was that there was a "subject to change" asterisk next to it on the specs, but that asterisk is gone from the specs page currently linked from the home page (and I believe it's been gone at least since preorders started). While the preorder page on the DragonBox site had a message saying a 4GB model may not be possible, I don't remember seeing any such hedging over the 4G model, and unless I'm missing it, there doesn't appear to be anything like that on there now. So with over 400 4G models (or about 100 US 4G model) preorders made based on that information, don't they kind of have to be made?

I wasn't aware there was any indication even inside this forum that they wouldn't be made. ED's been pretty adamant that it'd get done, just not entirely certain how he'd pay for it. Worst case scenario he'd have to wait until there were enough orders to justify it.

Back