rerelease

johnnyfamiliar

kills robots for fun
ok so i've been playing final fantasy 5 for the gba recently and there is a secret dungeon in the game that wasnt in the original and also four new job classes to go along with it.

personally i felt like this detracts away from the original game.

what are your thoughts on remakes with new content?

is it ok, or is wrong to change a classic, or is it ok if its the original game devs that added this content?

Im not big fan of remakes in videogames.Spiritual successors or sequels to classic games i dont mostly mind.For example prince of persia the sands of time was a great game that revolutionised 3d platforming.Jordan Mechner the author of the original game was involved in this also.

Eh, I usually consider the remakes a new game. Sometimes it seems a bit cheap to re-release an old game for a new platform, but other times they help revive a game that people may not be aware of. The Dragon Quest games come to mind, many weren't ever released in North America until much later as remakes, so it helps bring in a new audience to a good series of games.

Edit: Except when they completely screw up the remake such that it's completely terrible. I'm looking at you, Crystalis for the Game Boy Color.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as the original story and gameplay don't change I'm good with it. The extras are just an added bonus. My only peeve is with Star Ocen: First Departure for the PSP. They used the second games engine for it and it was basically a total conversion, but it would have been kind of dumb to port the original as it was.

I hate remakes, almost without exception*. They always seem to fail to capture the spirit of the original. Even worse is when they contain terrible retconning and the like. It drives me crackers.

*There are only two that I have EVER found to be worthwhile. Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land for the Game Boy Advance which is incredibly polished, and Star Fox 64 3D which is vastly superior to the flimsy, dull, childishly-acted, embarrassing-to-play-in-the-presence-of-others, poorly-handling N64 original, and finally makes it worth playing for the first time ever.

Star Fox 64 was a horrible retcon and it was never capable of holding a candle to the SNES original that it tragically removed from continuity for company-political reasons. ;)

Star Fox 64 was a horrible retcon and it was never capable of holding a candle to the SNES original that it tragically removed from continuity for company-political reasons. ;)

:eek: :eek:

<dramatically>Those scathing remarks are a dagger through my heart.</dramatically>

Ha, actually, we only had a NES and later an N64 while growing up, so really the only Star Fox game I'm familiar with was for the N64, and it wasn't too shabby. I have picked up and played the SNES version a couple times later on and going from the N64 to the SNES was a bit of a letdown. I also haven't played anything newer than the N64 version, either, so I can't honestly make a comparison to the rest of the franchise.

But I have killed many an hour on Star Fox 64 and always enjoyed it (aside from the tank/sub levels).

the psp has been treated to megaman remakes (powered up, maverick hunter x), and after playing them i felt horrible with myself. the updated graphics felt like a gimmick that only served to make those games a shell of their former selves. even powered ups boss additions and level designs were, while fun at first, a horrid taste in my mouth. And i admit that even though i have nothing but love for rockman!

@Mr Rob -I could go on for quite a while about all of the many reasons why I never liked Star Fox 64, so I'll spare you and let this thread get back on track! :lol:

@johnnyfamiliar - It's perfectly possible to love a series and still dislike bad games that exist within it. ;) (Apart from those horrid remakes, don't get me started on how terribly-designed Mega Man 9 is, whatever you do. :lol: )

ok so i've been playing final fantasy 5 for the gba recently and there is a secret dungeon in the game that wasnt in the original and also four new job classes to go along with it.

personally i felt like this detracts away from the original game.

what are your thoughts on remakes with new content?

is it ok, or is wrong to change a classic, or is it ok if its the original game devs that added this content?

Why rerelease a game if it exactly the same as its origional? if there aint no added content you might as well get the origional copy back out and have a bash on that.

I dont think i can recall many rereleases that suppaced the origional game? if anything most live up to dissapointment (in my case anyway)

Why rerelease a game if it exactly the same as its origional? if there aint no added content you might as well get the origional copy back out and have a bash on that.

I dont think i can recall many rereleases that suppaced the origional game? if anything most live up to dissapointment (in my case anyway)

well i support rerelease games to an extent, and that extent is if it serves the purpose of introducing new gamers to old games. like the sonic mega collection and all the square enix releases. i just dont like the idea that people are seeing these games through tainted lenses -_- they should be left alone.

@prometheus- to be honest i really liked megaman 9, yes the overall layout was a little horrid. but if offered me a challenge in the megaman series, one that i havent felt since i first played X6

As far as remakes are concerned, I thought that Bionic Commando Rearmed was done quite well. I would have preferred a real sequel, but the remake added enough extras to make it worth the effort.

I also liked the Monkey Island remakes, especially because you could switch back to the original at any time.

I think for a good remake, you either need to stay as close as possible or recreate the whole game with current consoles but based on the same old scribbles / plannings.

Anything in-between will make it weird.

Sword of Mana on the GBA (remake of Seiken Densetsu aka Final Fantasy Adventure on the GB) was some in-between. They tried to keep close to the original but altered dungeons and enhanced the story... it didn't feel like the same game, it was weird.

A bad remake. They shouldn't have added that much.

Final Fantasy IV on the NDS was a spot-on remake. The exact same gaming system, same worldmap, same monsters, same everythiing. But with enhanced graphics, enhanced music, etc.

It felt like the same game but upgraded to current tech.

Good remake :)

Makaitoushi SaGa (Wonderswan Color, remake of SaGa aka Final Fantasy Legend I on GameBoy):

For me, it was one of the best remakes ever. It was the EXACT same game - just with a bit better music and better (colorful!) graphics!

Still very retro, but great!

SaGa 2 (remake for NDS) was not very well done in my opinion: While they kept the original game they added so much more confusing goodies that it wasn't fun anymore.

You may be right:

Games lose the spirit if the remake is not being done by the original team and the new team tries to "improve" it.

Only the original team knows what they wanted to create and can enhance it. A new team could either ONLY enhance graphics and sound or use the original manuscripts, drawings and scribbles and recreate the game completely new.

Everything else will fail.

Hmmm. Interesting discussion.

I like remakes if they are 100% identical which may seem pointless unless it's not available elsewhere. If there are subtle difference which affect gameplay then it's a write-off as far as I'm concerned. Small improvements to graphics can be pretty good sometimes - anyone seen Andy Noble's remake of Manic Miner? That slightly improves the graphics whislt keeping it pixel-perfect.

Obviously LemmingsSDL improves on the original whilst maintaining the awesomeness of the original...but I'm probably biased.

I aktualy play starfox 64 as remake on the 3DS, and its a nice game, i ditnt had a n64 or a snes, so its good that there are remakes on the consoles i have from games i dintn had on the original console..,

also i prever playing on handhelds, so the remake of final fantasy x on the sony psvita would also be nice for me..

I own a ps2, and final fantasy x, but i prever playing on handhelds as i said bevore..

You may be right:
Games lose the spirit if the remake is not being done by the original team and the new team tries to "improve" it.

Only the original team knows what they wanted to create and can enhance it. A new team could either ONLY enhance graphics and sound or use the original manuscripts, drawings and scribbles and recreate the game completely new.

Everything else will fail.
Even enhancing the graphics and sound is fraught with danger. Look at the "Monkey Island" remakes, for example - they completely changed the art style to a less realistic, more cartoony one. Even though everything else is kept identical, it changes the feel quite a bit.

Even enhancing the graphics and sound is fraught with danger. Look at the "Monkey Island" remakes, for example - they completely changed the art style to a less realistic, more cartoony one. Even though everything else is kept identical, it changes the feel quite a bit.

True - but they were not enhancing the graphics in my opinion, they REDID them in a different style.

Guybrush looked butt-ugly... they should've referred to the original character design scribbles, they looked different.

I think they tried to make him loko more like guybrush from the sequels so that it matched, nothing wrong with that, I dont think the original monkey island was ever intended to look realistic anyway, it was always meant to have a cartooney vibe.

Back