Replacing LCD by OLED screen ? Theoretically possible?

I would be interested in seeing if we could mod our Pandoras with an alternative screen.

I have a Galaxy S3 and the screen is like night and day compared to the Pandora.

Finally someone who understands what I am talking about :)
Definitely, the S3 has no issues with blurring text/textures in scrolling games and the colours don't go dull then bright when scrolling starts/stops.

I have an iControlPad but use the Pandora way more for gaming so would prefer to swap the screen out.

Don't get me wrong the Pandora screen isn't unusable but I would like a crisp OLED for gaming.

The difference of LCD vs OLED is similar to CRT vs LCD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cutting a tree to make a fire is pollution.
Cutting down a tree is (minor) deforestation.

Burning it and letting the smoke escape is pollution.

Pedantry aside, if OLEDs eat more power, damage the environment more, fail more quickly, and require a much of electrical/software changes, is seem pointless to change.

Burning a tree does not create pollution. It's carbon neutral.

Pollution is not measured by the carbon production only. Pollution is about how harmful are the the released compounds. Try breathing CO2 and carbon monoxide, i am sure you will see a difference no matter if it has the very same amount of carbon atoms. Plus, your reassoning is flawed as well: even if carbon was the only thing that mattered, having carbon stored in a tree or as gaz in the atmosphere are two completely different things. The tree arbon does not have any greenhouse effect.

While not entirely on topic, but a bad trend I've recently seen while shopping for monitors is that manufacturers are claiming a screen is LED just because it has an LED backlite instead of a florescent, but the screen is still LCD. This deceptive terminology even duped my brother in thinking his display was LED and he's a tech savvy guy.

Personally I don't think it's as big of a jump in quality.. but still a jump..

While not entirely on topic, but a bad trend I've recently seen while shopping for monitors is that manufacturers are claiming a screen is LED just because it has an LED backlite instead of a florescent, but the screen is still LCD. This deceptive terminology even duped my brother in thinking his display was LED and he's a tech savvy guy.

Personally I don't think it's as big of a jump in quality.. but still a jump..
Depends on the quality of your CRT, and of course LCD.

From what I remember, OLEDs need different controllers.

Ok so no OLED.

I don't care much about luminosity or whatever, but the Pandora screen shows strong ghosting, even at 30Hz.

Can we put in some other sort of superior screen, that does not show any ghosting at 60Hz? CRT for the win (just kidding)

I'd be keen to get my Pandora screen upgraded if possible, even if it costs $500 or whatever.

If I bought a new 1GHz Pandora for >$700, I would be very disappointed with the ghosting.

Here's an example of someone who did, and presumably is:

We can also see strong ghosting in various emulated and homebrew games.

I know the Pandora project has major financial problems, but for the price of the 1GHz model, people should be getting a flawless LCD panel. Not an OLED, but a really top quality, responsive LCD panel.

I have a "sunbook" netbook with a "Pixel Qi" screen, it shows strong ghosting.

I also have an "HP mini" netbook with some sort of normal LCD screen, it shows no visible ghosting at 60Hz.

I read somewhere a while back, that there is some "mis-feature" with these LCD panels, which causes the ghosting to be much stronger than it would otherwise be; and that it's possible to turn off that mis-feature to reduce or eliminate ghosting. But I forget what it was called and can't find the article. If anyone knows about that, please let me know.

Depends on the quality of your CRT, and of course LCD.

I have a few nice CRT screens, which are better to my eyes than the LCDs I put up with at work, and even the nicer LCD screens I have at home.

From what people have said about the ghosting it seems like it varies a lot from unit to unit. I notice a fair amount too, although it's nowhere close to as bad as the first two PSP units (don't know about later ones). I suspect that you pay for better response time in battery life; Pandora's LCD is very low consumption.

There's a new version of the screen on the newer OPs, i don't know about ghosting on it.

We noticed it at the GamesCom.

The touchscreen is slightly harder to press, and the gamma settings need to be adjusted. Notaz is working on it for the next firmware update.

Back