Hardware Replacement keymat that isn't shiny

spiralofhope

Website
blog.spiralofhope.com
One of my complaints, and the reason I shelved my Pandora for so long (again), was that the keys are *very* difficult to see.

I see replacements are sold on the official store, but was another keymat ever designed?

You're living up to your username @OP :)

There wasn't any other keymat designed because it costs a lot of money to make a mould and this issue seems to have been fixed in the Pyra.

Cheers

Take it out, sandpaper it, maybe? The paint is underneath shiny layer.

Doing some more research, I've seen that sandpaper argument. Others have said using the green scratchy part of a sponge can work if done very lightly.

The most interesting finds were from model train enthusiasts.

- Paint it with dilute matte medium. Mod Podge is one recommendation that can be used as a finish.
I've seen some instructions for making this myself, but I would never do that.
I also wonder if this will just rub off.

- Spray it with matte finish acrylic from Testor's Paints, like Dull Coat.
e.g. https://www.walmart.com/ip/22056097

I thought toothpaste with a cotton was a natural way of softly removing a layer.... however... once they have pits, the human fat gets into these pores, and the result is bad after a few weeks (so you need to keep cleaning it... now, as glossy, they stay clean...)

For me, just using it was enough to cut back on the shine a bit. I probably stab at the keys with my nails too much. Still, they like more beat up than matte. For me the bigger issue was finding certain keys in the dark, so I flip the screen down.

If the shine on the keys really bothered me I would just abrade them with sandpaper, or one of the other options that has been mentioned (I sand down a lot of shiny stuff, but my Pandora keyboard never bugged me). I suspect it might work a little better on the Pyra...we shall see.

Now that I've solved web browser (network!) speed issues I'll be using it more. I ought to be using it for this forum now! Maybe one day the shine will dim a little.. but I'll probably own a Pyra by then. :D

I'm really worried about the Pyra too, but I think I'll end up having the backlight permanently on which will probably eliminate any problem in any light.

Off-topic: Their rectangular shape looks ugly, but they remind me of the HP 200LX whose keys were *fantastic*.

Most of the keys on my Pandora have developed a slight ripple or similar imperfection. I'm not sure if its a mechanical effect caused by abrasion or a chemical effect caused by my finger gloop, or something else, but it's something that shouldn't happen to the Pyra given its polycarbonate keycaps.

Those keycaps should also help with reflections I'd have thought. Sure the whole cap will reflect light into your eyes if you have it at the right angle, but you can just tilt it to cast that reflection over your shoulder and you should be fine.

I sometimes wonder if it would be worthwhile to have the a new keymat manufactured for the Pandora, by the same company that does the Pyra keymat using the same basic design and specs... Would there be enough interest in a keymat upgrade for the pandora to make such a thing commercially viable?

-Neelix

I think it the Pyra does come out with a year of now say, my current keymat will probably serve out the remaining use I have for my Pandora, but then I have broken the power switch, and the LCD cable (removing screen, touchscreen and speakers) so I may be a special case, and once I get a device I can use for more than listening to music on the move, I'll pretty much stop using my Pandora.

Costs would probably be about 20k for 1000pcs (incl. Mould)
So if you find 1000 people who'd pay 20 EUR each, it would be possible.

Sent from my XT1650-03 using Tapatalk

Costs would probably be about 20k for 1000pcs (incl. Mould)
So if you find 1000 people who'd pay 20 EUR each, it would be possible.

That doesn't include the cost for your staff's time.

I also think a Pandora replacement keypad project would distract the developers away from the Pyra project.

--

I for one would not buy a replacement keypad, because I would rather save my money for a Pyra, which will completely obsolete my Pandora.. and hopefully my desktop!

I still wonder if I will get my HP 200LX repaired, or use my Zaurus SL-C1000 again.

--

I was just hoping there was some simple solution for my current keymat, but now that I think about it.. maybe I will just suffer until I get a Pyra. =)

Back