Regarding 64mb Nand Memory

C

codeninja

According to GPH website and customer reports, that 64MB NAND memory is NOT accessible to us. GPH said that because of possibility of running out of NAND memory, they blocked the access to it.

I remember people talking about 20MB left after Linux in NAND memory, but it looks like it's all irrelevant after all.

sounds like a good thing to me, witb a 256mb SD card costing a tenner, there's no need to use the NAND Memory.

as a former Pocket PC owner, I found nothing worse than software which could only be installed to the system memory, and not memory cards.... at least that way this can't happen on the GP2X...

also, they're probably reserving the other 20mb for future firmware upgrades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how they're blocking access to the nand, but if the launcher still allows it to be selected then you could try creating a text file containing 'cp /mnt/sd/somefilename /mnt/nand/', give it a .gpe extension, and put it on your sd. Then run that file from the launcher, wait for a while for it to complete (you'll have to guess as there's no way of knowing when it's complete without a serial cable), then reboot. Of course if there's a risk of running out of space then you might not want to bother, but if you're careful and don't over do it then you should be ok.

I remember ages ago filling up the nand as the sd driver was so crap, and bricked the unit :eek:

Still, that was ages ago, and I fixed it with the serial cable. The SD driver is now stable enough for writing logs/etc to with no worries.

I never planed on using it in the first place. Its for the system and thats it, no need to dirty it up with my own stuff. Heck it is only 20mb, thats nothing.

Better having it locked then users constantly loading things in and out from it shortening its lifespan. I never intended to use it myself either. I just hope they remove that NAND/SD choice when loading things, it's annoying with 1 more menu when you don't need it.

I just hope they remove that NAND/SD choice when loading things, it's annoying with 1 more menu when you don't need it.
I have to agree, I'm getting a 2GB SD card, so there is no way I'll want to use the 20 megs in NAND. Hopefully there will be an option, or someone will add one. The only reason I can think of for anyone to use it is to put family pics on it or something, so you can show off the fam no matter what SD card you have. Yeah, that's about it, maybe a favorite rom, but what if your SD card doesn't have the emu..... I'm sure that native games will usually take up more than 20 megs also.

Thanx,
Stan

Never intended using it anyway, so in a way I'm glad access is blocked by default (in case someone borrows it & screws around).

You're not a messenger.  You're a doomsayer.

Edit - I don't mean to have a go at you personally, you just seem to be being very negative about everything.  Relax.

Ok, I'll try to relax. However, I'm not a doomsayer because those things that I post were not from my imaginations, but things that people in Korea are talking about at this moment. Anyway, it looks like people don't want uptodate info from Korea, or they are simply too much for them to take in short time, which is the case to me too, so I'll refrain myself from delivering news.

You're not a messenger.  You're a doomsayer.

Edit - I don't mean to have a go at you personally, you just seem to be being very negative about everything.   Relax.

Ok, I'll try to relax. However, I'm not a doomsayer because those things that I post were not from my imaginations, but things that people in Korea are talking about at this moment. Anyway, it looks like people don't want uptodate info from Korea, or they are simply too much for them to take in short time, which is the case to me too, so I'll refrain myself from delivering news.

NO NO, give us news!

If I'd taken the kind of potshots he's gotten just trying to help us out with "heads up" info, I'd give up too. *chuckles*

Lot of tension among everyone here... No wonder GPH threw in Lollipops.

It doesn't bother me, I'm probaly going to buy a 2GB SD anyways.

Did u buy your 2GB card and does it work OK?. that is the brand you showed on the link to ebay.

Also how is the 2gb working as I know the firmware does not yet support it? can you just use 1gb of it, as I want to buy one myself now there is lots of stuff for the 2x.

Cheers

Back