Question About Gpe

___

Advanced Member
Hey, just a quick question which I couldn't find an answer to. I have tried the search but apparently there is not too many topics about gpe. I wonder if I can use this on my NAND. I have been using qtopia for some fun but I think GPE would be nicer and also I ran qtopia from my SD card. Would be cool to have it on the NAND though, so I could access my files from any SD card without also having to copy GPE to everyone of my SDs. Does GPE access the NAND for a lot of writes or continuously to swap? I understand that that would not be very healthy to the NAND memory. Is there a possibility to make a swap file on my SD cards automatically (like a windows swap file that is only temporary and gets deleted after the OS shuts down)?

EDIT: Never mind. I just realized how huge the files are... that will never ever fit onto my NAND... well it would, but then it would be ridiculously overfilled. Let's just say, I want to run qtopia off the NAND. Would that make any sence at all?

Im not sure how many write cycles occur when using qtopia, but in theory you could have a swap file on your sd card and run a script when qtopia starts to access that swap file. I don't think youll get much benifit from running it off the nand except that its not on the SD card.

But thats what makes the GP2x Great! You can play with it what ever way you like.
:)

I'd like to take advantage of this thread and ask if using the GP2X as a low-end PDA for taking down small notes and such is feasible with either Qtopia or GPE.

- Alex

Not really, no. Both of them take a while to load, by which time you could've just got out a bit of paper and a pen.

Back