Chavs

weirdspawningkid

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Some disscusion over chavs has taken place.............
Chavs are male adolesents of the working class. They exist in all the major citys in the uk
, just only in the slumn/hood for white people areas (council estates and crumbling blocks of flats). They are usualy the first people to greet (read attack) immigrants who have come to the uk in search of a better life and somehow found their way to parts of the country not dissimilar to their home warzones.
Chavs like badly modified cars, burburry, tracksuits, and Chavettes (female chavs), rediculus combinations of cheap clothes, and going out, getting intoxicated and fighting in the streets. It's quite possible that chavs going on holiday has done more damage to foriegners opinions on the Brithish than the allied foriegn policy.
Not all british people are chavs and you have to remember that all of the conservative norms and values that people from other countrys follow, were copied from how British people behaved around 100 years ago.

tbh I'm not sure where you see this thread going, other than the 'yeah, I agree chavs are twats' type responses. However, here are my thoughts:

I doubt that chavs like 'rediculus combinations of cheap clothes' or badly modified cars, instead I would assume they haven't the money to afford what I would percieve as 'nice clothes' (that said I'm a student anyway, so my idea of nice clothes is probably at odds with the standard definition :) ) or the skill to modify their cars in effective and attractive ways.

A much more interesting discussion that this thread could create is why is this group of people behaving in such antisocial ways, and how can this be stopped (and by that I mean the root cause of the problem). I find that boredom has a lot to do with the rise of chav culture, especially among children and teens, with nothing positive to occupy themselves with they hang-around parks and carparks drinking and generally making a pest of themselves.

And I would disagree with your assumtion that ALL chavs come from the'slums/hood' I have known a few people prsonally who have been 'raised right' (a bit loaded that, but hey!) and still dress and act in a manner that I percieve to be chav-ish.

Also, I imagine that the reason that most chavs are so opposed to immigration is the perception that because (and this is generalisation, mind) most chavs are unemployed but not neccesserally opposed to work they fear 'their' jobs being stolen. And its a legitimate fear as well, I believe. After all (and again this might be a generalisation) but most chavs are usually badly educated and the jobs that they would be going for would be the same jobs that most immigrants would go for as well , and as immigrants (is there a better word? It seems to me that that particular word has many nastyy associations to it) would be paid below minimum wage then employers would most likely favour them.

Oh and as for peoples general mocking of how chavs dress, does anyone remeber punks or the new romantics or goths or any other of the numerous sub-cultures that currently exist or have existed?

It seems to me that this chav-bashing that is geting more and more popular is just another way for the middle classes to look downwards smugly and feel rightous about it as well, after all they are 'dangerous louts'.

They're a bit lame to be honest they are always hanging out around church a road or so away. I'm not even sure where this bunch seem to come from but a few weeks ago a friend of mine and his mother were walking past them. Whilst she walks past with her son (who's 17) they start just shouting insults at her son. She isn't willing to let this happen so tells them to leave them alone so they then push her away saying i'm going to rape you and your son infront of each other if i see you again.... >.< Sadly i doubt this problem can be stopped they are untouchable being under 18...

Crazy thing, earlier i saw two white chavs great each other with cries of "YO NIGGER!!!"

iignotus posted on Oct 28 2005 at 11:13 PM said:
This sounds exactly like what a lot of people in America think about some blacks in the ghetto.
I think the closest comparison is rednecks/trailer trash (Jerry Springer Guests) in the midwest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jaw posted on Oct 28 2005 at 07:50 PM said:
chavs have no money because they spend it all on booze and smokes.

Irony?

iignotus posted on Oct 28 2005 at 10:13 PM said:
This sounds exactly like what a lot of people in America think about some blacks in the ghetto.

iignotus, you've summed it up perfectly. Its all about class snobbery and ignorance.

@Sam either grow up and start expressing your views in a mature way or piss off :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
without being too snippy, it's not like america doesn't have its own rather massive social issues, but thats probably for another thread to discuss.

I wasnt against chavs per ce, well at least not until i got quite nastily beat up by a group of them while i was walking along minding my own business, but you know, they're nice guys really ;)

If you think about it, a chav (in dress sense) is someone who shows off a vast amount of wealth, yet has no social standing whatsoever.

Someone at university told me lately that we "shouldn't stereotype all people who dress like that". It's hardly like it's a race issue or something they can't change is it? If they don't want to be stopped by the police for wearing hoodies, stop wearing the clothes. They have become the clothes of the criminal. If I walked down my street wearing a ski mask dressed completly in black I'd accept the consequences.

Back